What's new

Unique Identification Number to India's citizens

indiatech

Reaction score
25 Jun 2009

NEW DELHI: The government on Thursday set in motion the process of providing a Unique Identification Number to India's citizens and appointed Nandan Nilekani. Infosys Technologies co-chairman Nandan Nilekani as head of an authority for this purpose.

The move to set up the UID Authority of India (UIDAI), under the aegis of the Planning Commission, is aimed at providing a unique identity to the targeted population of the flagship schemes to ensure that the benefits reach them, information and broadcasting minister Ambika Soni told reporters here after the Cabinet meeting.

As chairman of the body, Nilekani will have Cabinet minister rank and status, she said.

"The authority shall have the responsibilities to lay down plans and policies to implement the Unique Identification Scheme (UID), shall own and operate the Unique Identification Number database and be responsible for its updation and maintenance on an ongoing basis," she said.

The authority will identify the targeted groups for various flagship programmes, she added.

The flagship schemes of the UPA include the National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme, Sarva Shiksha Abhiyaan, National Rural Health Mission and Bharat Nirman.

The unique identification number would ensure that any lacuna in these schemes is removed so that the benefits do not reach those they are not meant for.

Nilekani resigns from Infosys to take up new assignment

Meanwhile, Nandan Nilekani on Thursday resigned as Co-Chairman of Infosys Technologies and its board following his appointment as Chairman of an IT-driven government program for providing unique identification numbers to citizens of the country.

"The Board of Directors at Infosys has already accepted Nilekani's resignation. The resignation would be effective from July 9, 2009," the company said in a statement here.

As co-founder of India's second-largest software exporting firm, Nilekani served as director on the Infosys board since its inception in 1981.

Between March 2002 and June 2007, he served as the company's chief executive officer and managing director. He was later re-designated as Co-Chairman of the Board of Directors.

"We are glad that an extraordinary individual like Nandan has got an opportunity to add value to India through this position. As a company that has always put the interest of society ahead of itself, Infosys will accept his absence with a sense of duty to a larger cause," Infosys Chairman and Mentor N R Narayana Murthy said.

Wondering how would they make sure this time not to hand over an UID to an illegal immigrant millions of whom are living in NE, Delhi, mumbai etc.

Will a stoic personality like Nilekani succumb to politicians decision and pressure to provide UID and legalize the illegals and create a problem for national security.

Will be interesting to see.

Great News...:yahoo:. At least the Govt. has made a beginning. I don't think people like Nadan Nilikeni will bow to political pressure. Congrats to GOI for a great Choice...:cheers:

Pointless exercise in a country where not everyone has an election id. An election I-card is enough to differentiate legals from the illegals. This money can be used on better projects.

I agree with Nemesis. I have doubt about the sucesses of this exercise, with population of 1.2 billion how they will keeep up. there r chances of terrorist or other unwanted get those ID too.

I agree with Nemesis. I have doubt about the sucesses of this exercise, with population of 1.2 billion how they will keeep up. there r chances of terrorist or other unwanted get those ID too.

Hardly matters if some 'unwanted' get that ID. Consider that similar to SSN in US. Using that ID, there is hardly anything illegal you could do, which you could not have done otherwise. And about illegal migrants, they are as good as citizens now, aren't they? Very unlikely that anyone could do anything about that. So lets accept the fallouts & proceed further.

Consider the benefits. Now the tracking of anything will be much easier, will lead to much better security. Better taxation, more income for government, central repository for citizens' information and what not.

No doubt that the thought is exemplary. What needs to be seen is the implementation part of it, where we do not have a bright record sadly.

It is very important atleast in the border areas where people cross the border easily.Lets see how this is implemented.

Pointless exercise in a country where not everyone has an election id. An election I-card is enough to differentiate legals from the illegals. This money can be used on better projects.

People could apply for an election card by showing bijli ka bil or residence proof or by just showing a Ration Card. Ration cards can be easily obtained by paying Rs. 50 - 500 . That doesn't make a person a citizen of india. Voter IDs were never meant to justify eligibility of govt of india schemes .

UID is a must thing for indian citizens. For years this plan was rejected as immigrants were used for vote bank politics. That proves how easy it is to get a voter ID card. In assam every illegal immigrant has a vote registered. Thanks to the administration backed years of
congress rule. Now congress has a very good chance and the last good chance not to betray the indian people by not issuing a UID to an illigal . Lets see.

When BJP had suggested this the Cong and the Commies had shouted themselves Hoarse against this and now Cong is implementing it. :crazy::crazy:

I hope Nandan will pull out this mammoth procedure as efficient as he used to do in Infosys.

No nemasis , government is not thinking using NI card for only indentification purpose. it consist a memory chip that stores centralised database of personal information.& it consist one unique Identification number in it.it helps various objects like Obviate need for multiple documentary proof ,Facilitate easy verification ,
Facilitate easy availing of government or private services ,
Help welfare programmes reach intended beneficiaries ,
Serve as basis for e-governance services.

If it get success ,implementing E- governance will be very easy.think that days just swiping one card to submit all personal documents in bank,collage,or in any public office...:cheers:

Attachments

• Linking-NIN.jpg
    Linking-NIN.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 48
If it get success ,implementing E- governance will be very easy.think that days just swiping one card to submit all personal documents in bank,collage,or in any public office...

Awesome dude..That would just awesome.... I wish all the best to the infy dude

It will also help in - national security - I think this will help in - keeping bangladesi poor to come in india - but the problem they will face is - should they give all existing bangladesi this card - since its a very big vote bank - go to Yamuna pusta area 99.999 % peopel are bangladesi there.

I dont see it happening because of political will. since the question will be of vote bank which is more important than nayhtign else.

Hardly matters if some 'unwanted' get that ID. Consider that similar to SSN in US. Using that ID, there is hardly anything illegal you could do, which you could not have done otherwise. And about illegal migrants, they are as good as citizens now, aren't they? Very unlikely that anyone could do anything about that. So lets accept the fallouts & proceed further.

Consider the benefits. Now the tracking of anything will be much easier, will lead to much better security. Better taxation, more income for government, central repository for citizens' information and what not.

No doubt that the thought is exemplary. What needs to be seen is the implementation part of it, where we do not have a bright record sadly.

No Mate, they are foreigners and that too illegally entered india. Had they migrated to india with official indian govt's consent we would have accepted them but currently not interested. If you don't believe the seriousness of this problem you should see how far they have gone.

They have illigal outfits e:g MULTA etc in NE solely run and funded to protect the illigal immigrants now. State like Assam has lost some of its historical districts like Dhubri, Goalpara, Barpeta etc to the rising population of illegals who just keep on coming. Since they don't have legal land, they mostly have captured the unihabited islands in bramhaputra, Cutting down vast forests in assam, which are now some of the places where they control the activities of MULTA etc.

We can't loose our land and culture to a bunch of super multiplying illegals. If govt gives UID to these people , there will be a state of mess in lot of places for sure.

Major problem is , no mater how much you try to consider them indian and try to merge them in the mainstream, they will still support illegal activities and try to destabilize india by supporting millitants and through other illegal activities. Take for example,the last incident of hoisting of Pakistan flag in Assam.

Back
Top Bottom