What's new

‘unhappy’ Diwali: Ban On Chinese Fireworks Does Not Mean Desi Sale Boost!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewJin

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
屏幕快照 2016-11-01 21.11.51.jpg

屏幕快照 2016-11-01 21.12.30.png

AHMEDABAD, OCT 28: Ban on import and sale of Chinese fireworks has virtually failed to boost domestic firecracker sales as traders have registered an overall 20 per cent decline in indigenously-manufactured firecrackers’ demand leading to a loss of nearly 30,000 jobs in recent past, business body Assocham said on Friday.

An Assocham survey across major cities reported poor business owing to anti-cracker campaigns run by schools, resident welfare associations (RWAs) and others.

The Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (Assocham) interacted with firecracker wholesalers, retailers and traders in 10 cities -- Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Bhopal, Chennai, Dehradun, Delhi, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Lucknow and Mumbai - -to gauge the enthusiasm and demand for firecrackers together with the impact of ban on Chinese crackers across India.

“It is not just Chinese firecrackers but multiple factors like growing environmental awareness, rising cost of living, growing tendency amid people to save their hard-earned money rather than spoiling it on burning crackers, paucity of time, traffic congestions during festive period and others have together dented this business over the years,” said majority of 250 firecracker traders in these cities where Assocham representatives surveyed during the last 25 days.

Most of the traders said they have seen a sharp decline of about 20 per cent year-on-year from the past five years and have also almost halved the amount of crackers they used to get in the wake of poor sales.

“Banning Chinese firecrackers was a welcome move aimed at strengthening the domestic industry. However, growing criticism of bursting firecrackers and all the negative publicity together with rising air and noise pollution have eventually faded the growth of firecracker industry across India,” said D.S. Rawat, Secretary-General, Assocham.

About a hundred firecracker manufacturing units in Sivakasi have shut their shop owing to intense campaigns and growing sales of China-made crackers over the years, it is estimated that about 30,000 people have lost their livelihood, he said.

He said there are about 800 licensed firecracker making units in Sivakasi where this industry accounted for a market of about Rs. 2,500 crore. This has been facing heat from Chinese products whose import has grown by leaps and bounds during past few years.

Rise in cost of raw materials and overall inflation have also discouraged people from buying firecrackers over the last few years now.

(This article was published on October 28, 2016)

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com...desi-sale-boost/article9280847.ece#vuukle_div

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not really interested in their environmentalist concern or China's firework export to india (the number is pathetically small to China or Hunan Province).

One point is quite interesting to me.
It's the way firework is produced, in China the word is "manufactured".
The whole industry is being fiercely automatised, not matter you like it or not.
Hand-made firework industry is rapidly shrinking, the momentum is unstoppable.

In Liuyang, Hunan Province of Central China, one company has upgraded their production line to the 3rd generation after 8 years with an investment of 100 million yuan.

137713852.jpg
137713829-1.jpg

So now, they have reduced 90% labor.
Productivity increases fivefold.
The complete automation enables 100% separation between workers and chemicals.

The whole firework industry in Liuyang, the firework capital of the world (11 billion yuan per year), is quickly embracing automation, IoTs and Made-in-China 2025.

Weekly firework show at Orange Isle, Changsha City, capital of Hunan Province
(Liuyang City belongs to Changsha)

Last edited:
It's a competitive industry, the origin of nearly 60% of world's firework and 50% of China's domestic consumption.
It is well supported by high-efficient logistics, automation and international cooperation.

See the expressway network directly linked to the firework industrial park
92df9741120547f3a817354c652fc63e.jpg

屏幕快照 2016-11-01 21.56.01.jpg

Last edited:
Frankly, we don't need firecrackers any more for Diwali.

This piece of news is far more interesting, and worrying than anything else:

http://qz.com/823231/as-delhi-wakes-up-after-the-diwali-weekend-air-pollution-hits-deadly-levels/
In all major Chinese cities, it is banned.
But you have clearly mixed two simple things, firework used by normal people for fun, and organised firework shows.
India's firework consumption is extremely low.

London Olympics firework, powered by Liuyang
0013729e4518117d841101.jpg
0013729e4518117d842f02.jpg

Last edited:
Real picture of ban will come in future. This is just starting....
I am not against complete ban which is not even possible...but India must secure the interest of Indian business.....everybody does that....

Congress did not bother and allowed each and every product import from China.
Modi is just filtering it out to make "make in India" success....

In all major Chinese cities, it is banned.
But you have clearly mixed two simple things, firework used by normal people for fun, and organised firework shows.
India's firework consumption is extremely low.

There are very few cities that have firework shows here. People just use it on their own.

The thing is that consumption has decreased because people are buying very few crackers these days.

When I was young, for me diwali, was almost totally about firecrackers. I used to crack firecrackers during the whole diwali season. (Which is a week long, composed of Diwali, Choti diwali, Govardhan Puja, Bhai Duj)

But in the last few years, both the interest and availability has waned.

One thing is that firecrackers have risen in costs due to extremely high pollution tariffs etc. to discourage people from buying. The other is that culturally too people are buying a lot less.

Interesting contrast
177528.jpg
Rio Olpmycis fireworks, supported by Liuyang Firework!

There are very few cities that have firework shows here. People just use it on their own.

The thing is that consumption has decreased because people are buying very few crackers these days.

When I was young, for me diwali, was almost totally about firecrackers. I used to crack firecrackers during the whole diwali season. (Which is a week long, composed of Diwali, Choti diwali, Govardhan Puja, Bhai Duj)

But in the last few years, both the interest and availability has waned.

One thing is that firecrackers have risen in costs due to extremely high pollution tariffs etc. to discourage people from buying. The other is that culturally too people are buying a lot less.
Not important for Liuyang, which has a competitive industry.
The dying industry in india means your own jobs loss.

Q1 2016, firework industry in Liuyang grew 10.1% to 6.5 billion yuan
http://www.wtoutiao.com/p/16dE3pS.html

i know,hunan liuyang:-)
Their weekly firework show at Orange Isle is amazing!
It's free! But always full of people.....every week at that time, the nearest metro station will be closed....

Their local vocational school provides firework-related majors! Such as safety management and firework design.
They also have cooperation with a lot of key universities to improve technology.
International fireworks association is also located in Liuyang.
New-generation fireworks have very little pollution!
@jkroo

Last edited:
It is the side effect of politics on religions.

Ban on import and sale of Chinese fireworks has virtually failed to boost domestic firecracker sales as traders have registered an overall 20 per cent decline in indigenously-manufactured firecrackers’ demand leading to a loss of nearly 30,000 jobs in recent past, business body Assocham said on Friday.

Looks depressing.

Diwali was never meant about polluting fire works anyway! Hope they decline more next time!

Every industry should embrace modernisation and automation
to stay competitive with a future insight and global vision.
The automation of Liuyang Firework industry is unstoppable.
Their global status is being strengthened day by day.

10090205418a5e2fee19b00ffd.jpg
10090205404643a542addb1ab2.jpg
1009020540bc85e219d8516cb6.jpg
10090205401059702aca98d7ea.jpg
10090205401cc7de010e20980c.jpg
10090205440033a2efbbc14d63.jpg
1009020541196a9cd56a33c66b.jpg

Looks depressing.
I have a feeling that their government does very little to provide formal and secure jobs....
Dunno what they are doing everyday.

Then whats up with those threads on indians boycotting chinese firecrackers for the past few days?

So they were just the same old, blindly-nationalistic, empty-bragging rhetorics by the same ppl?

To think i even wasted my time debating in those threads. Turns out everything was just a facade

Haha

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom