What's new

Understanding Human Intelligence (HUMINT) Part 2 - Conducting HUMINT OPs

As always I loved the interrogation part best. :devil:
I liked the way you used Richard Sorge's example to help ppl like me understand reporting mission. I wish you'd used more such examples. :)

Now my doubts
1) Whats the difference between warm pitch and cold pitch?
2) Recently US special op forces failed not once but twice to rescue American journalist Somer's. Not just did they fail, the episode ended with the death of Somer and a South African teacher (who was to be freed next day). Asfaik there were about 36 commandos. I guess this shows intelligence failure. How could they 've avoided failure a second time??
This just incident just came to my mind and I thought you would be the best person to answer it. :)

1.)The different between a warm pitch and a cold pitch is mainly set on how much you about your candidate.

As I said, you only penetrate when you need to, so that associated recruitment sometime will come with a timestamp.

If the Case officer think he/she knows enough of the candidate, then he/she make a pitch, that is a warm pitch, but if time does not allow further development then you pitch without any reasonable ground that the candidate would accept the pitch, then that would be a cold pitch

2.)Well, I can't tell you the specific as that stuff is above my pay grade, even if I am allowed or privy to the specific, I still can't tell you what's going on. All I can tell you regrading Luck Somer case is. The first time it was likely and intelligence error, most probably a TTL error, which mean they get the Intel too late. By the time they can react to the intel, Somers was already transferred. The second time does not seems to be an intelligence error, it more like an operational error. As the intel suggested that Somers was in that village, and he is indeed inside the ville, but the SF got blogged down by the fight.

In hostage rescue mission, if you are holding the hostage, and you know the other side are trying to rescue your hostage, and you know there are no way out, you would execute the hostage, so, the essence of hostage rescue was, the rescuer should present more of a target to the captor then the captive, so they will try to kill you instead of the captive. That's another very complication dynamic, which would be other topic some other day :)

I do not understand the highlighted part.What do you mean? :D
Okay,I got the rest except the bolded part: You were only assigned to investigate and distinguish them.
Seriously, I have also enjoyed the art of interrogation more than anything.
Oh one more question:'What if you are assigned with a task to make a diplomat to spill beans or someone you can't capture but he has essential information about your target?
Regards

lol, I sort of promise him that I will not publish this in public.....But I guess he don't believe me hehe :(

Well, in your case, if he is untouchable, then either you infiltrate the people around him or use SIGINT
There are no impenetrable target, kind of depend on how long it takes. If you can't get to him, then get to a person who can get to him, and if that don't work either, then you get to the person who can get to the person who can get to him

the rescuer should present more of a target to the captor then the captive, so they will try to kill you instead of the captive. That's another very complication dynamic, which would be other topic some other day :)
Errr this part whooshed over my head.
could you explain it in detail? :)

you mean hostage rescue technique? or just those word i said?
I think you were hinting at how the rescue operation should be carried out (ideally). So I hope you can throw some light on that topic. :)

I think you were hinting at how the rescue operation should be carried out (ideally). So I hope you can throw some light on that topic. :)

well, the mechanic behind any rescue ops lies on what the captor thinks.

If you are storming with decisive force, unless you can storm them before the captor knows their number is up, otherwise the captor will kill the captive if he or they sees no way out.

So, the best way or ideal way, as you said , is to present yourselves, the rescuer as a more favorable target than the hostage, so the captor will try to kills you instead of the hostage and if you overrun the captor, then you secure the hostage.

Now it may not make much sense, but if you know the story or deals behind hostage taking, then you probably would understand what i said better, but for you to under stand the behind the scenes, i will probably have to write another article as long as this one to try and fully explain to you :)

i will probably have to write another article and fully explain to you :)
yes.gif
yes.gif
yes.gif

A very well written comprehensive piece.

You sir are a great asset for PDF!

Kudos.

@jhungary hooyah lieutenant, why don't we send you to STRATFOR and give this piece as a reference.

To be honest, I kinda liked it but since I am no S-2, some parts such as classifications was boring to me, no offense I liked it though. HUMINT's the old school. I think many manned naval systems including CMSs will be replaced by AI, then all will be upto threat classification and RoE. But can't say the same for intelligence gathering. SIGINT/ELINT will improve but HUMINT will always be there. I believe intelligence is a very sensitive organ of the battlefield, it is sure that after some point human beings are needed, idk what you thinking man.

very well Written , but majority of things are above my head :P

but i guess interrogation part is very cruel :(

oh lord, another one on my to do list....

okay

A very well written comprehensive piece.

You sir are a great asset for PDF!

Kudos.

thanks, heh glad you like this, i am glad to be of service.

@jhungary hooyah lieutenant, why don't we send you to STRATFOR and give this piece as a reference.

To be honest, I kinda liked it but since I am no S-2, some parts such as classifications was boring to me, no offense I liked it though. HUMINT's the old school. I think many manned naval systems including CMSs will be replaced by AI, then all will be upto threat classification and RoE. But can't say the same for intelligence gathering. SIGINT/ELINT will improve but HUMINT will always be there. I believe intelligence is a very sensitive organ of the battlefield, it is sure that after some point human beings are needed, idk what you thinking man.

lol its captain not lieutenant...although i do know O3 is lieutenant in the Navy ...lol

Well, even i was bored about some of the thing i wrote lol
. Still i have to learn them, funny thing is, i never got to use the first half of that article i learned, those spy stuff is cool and there are a lot of.thing we can discuss.

But all in all, HUMINT is going to stay, No matter how far along did SIGINT or the like progress, cos you will still need eyes on the prize 24/7 and HUMINT is the only way you can do it with the kind of feedback you wanted and since they are old school, you literally cannot shield againt HUMINT collecting hehe

very well Written , but majority of things are above my head :P

but i guess interrogation part is very cruel :(

lol u would be an international spy, like james bond ic you understand what i wrote top to bottom lol

And yeah, the interrogation part is kind of cruel but you still have to do it...

oh lord, another one on my to do list....

okay

thanks, heh glad you like this, i am glad to be of service.

lol its captain not lieutenant...although i do know O3 is lieutenant in the Navy ...lol

Well, even i was bored about some of the thing i wrote lol
. Still i have to learn them, funny thing is, i never got to use the first half of that article i learned, those spy stuff is cool and there are a lot of.thing we can discuss.

But all in all, HUMINT is going to stay, No matter how far along did SIGINT or the like progress, cos you will still need eyes on the prize 24/7 and HUMINT is the only way you can do it with the kind of feedback you wanted and since they are old school, you literally cannot shield againt HUMINT collecting hehe

lol u would be an international spy, like james bond ic you understand what i wrote top to bottom lol

And yeah, the interrogation part is kind of cruel but you still have to do it...

in movies this seems cool , but in real obviously it must dangerous and different i guess ...

well at least there is one benefit to become James bond , that you get the girl to ****, and in most of the movie chick die :P

yeah , i mean it must be hard for any soldier to do such stuff , if one has to choose between killing , torturing and show sympathy towards a person, Prisoner ...

but what i like about that , is if one become a spy , they teach him hacking :D easy to watch on your gf Facebook lolz :D

in movies this seems cool , but in real obviously it must dangerous and different i guess ...

well at least there is one benefit to become James bond , that you get the girl to ****, and in most of the movie chick die :P

yeah , i mean it must be hard for any soldier to do such stuff , if one has to choose between killing , torturing and show sympathy towards a person, Prisoner ...

but what i like about that , is if one become a spy , they teach him hacking :D easy to watch on your gf Facebook lolz :D

lol james bond sucks....lol

About girls, i told a girl i worked for NSA once and she just back off......Maybe that will he a bit different if i told her j work for KGB or anything else lol

lol james bond sucks....lol

About girls, i told a girl i worked for NSA once and she just back off......Maybe that will he a bit different if i told her j work for KGB or anything else lol

hahahhahah I dont like the movies too but they do have some cool girls in the movies , not all but some ..

you scared the hell out of the girl man :D
or maybe she might be imagining that a spy must be a some what cool , wearing a Gucci suite , with some super duper kung fu moves :D

hahahhahah I dont like the movies too but they do have some cool girls in the movies , not all but some ..

you scared the hell out of the girl man :D
or maybe she might be imagining that a spy must be a some what cool , wearing a Gucci suite , with some super duper kung fu moves :D

i never know where all those clothes come from when you are jamesbond...They pay shit in MI6 and CIA, its lucky i get a nice suit with low level entry job, i earn about 5500 a month with the army, and the CIA offer me 4500 a month lol...

i never know where all those clothes come from when you are jamesbond...They pay shit in MI6 and CIA, its lucky i get a nice suit with low level entry job, i earn about 5500 a month with the army, and the CIA offer me 4500 a month lol...

than where is fun risking life ? no Gucci suite ? no rolex watch , and no cool chicks :(

but dont you think a Gucci suite is more of a uniform for secret service personnel ? agencies should have own a outlet of Gucci , and provide agents suite on discount rate :D

Back
Top Bottom