What's new

UN vote recognizes state of Palestine as non-member state

The right of the Jews to settle Palestine by purchase or on state lands with the intent of eventual statehood was enshrined in the Mandate for Palestine by the League of Nations - the same League that provided Arabs with newly-independent states like Iraq, Syria, Egypt, etc.

Stop using big words and get the point, this isn't a high school debate
What mandate? What league of nation? What Arabs?

Margin of UN defeat disappoints Israel

Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:31am EST

* UN vote lays bare EU anger at Israeli settlements

* Israel tries to minimise loss, faces tough decisions

* Next govt will have to address Palestinian issue

By Crispian Balmer

JERUSALEM, Nov 30 (Reuters) - The margin of Israel's defeat in a U.N. vote that granted de-facto statehood to Palestine has disappointed Israeli political leaders, whose attempts on Friday to play down the loss could not disguise its significance.

The United Nations General Assembly voted on Thursday to upgrade the Palestinian status in the world body, making it a "non-member state". The decision was backed by 138 nations against 9 opposed, with 41 members abstaining.

On the ground nothing has changed. Israeli army checkpoints remain in place across the West Bank, Jewish settlers continue their daily lives and the Israeli government warns that lasting peace is more remote than ever.

But the fact only three major countries sided with Israel -- the United States, Canada and the Czech Republic -- underscored how isolated Israel has become on the international stage when it comes to peacemaking with the Palestinians.

"Even old friends like Germany refused to stand alongside us. There were external factors, but it is hard not to see this as a total failure for our diplomacy which will obviously have consequences," said a senior official, who declined to be named.

Government spokesman Mark Regev said that although Israel was "disappointed" by the vote it was not surprised.

"The General Assembly can resemble the theatre of the absurd, which once a year, automatically approves ludicrous, anti-Israeli resolutions. Sometimes these are supported by Europe, sometimes they are not," he said.

Nonetheless, analysts said the vote exposed the gulf that has opened between Europe and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu over his handling of the Western-backed administration of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, and the depth of EU opposition to Jewish settlement expansion.

TIPPING POINT

Direct peace talks collapsed in 2010 in a dispute over settlement building in the occupied West Bank and East Jerusalem -- land Palestinians say belongs to them.

EU diplomats warn of an approaching tipping point whereby it will soon be impossible to carve out a viable independent state.

"The government has failed to appreciate the gravity of the challenge to Israel's fundamental legitimacy in Europe," said Gidi Grinstein, the head of the Reut Institute think-tank.

"The Palestinian bid in the U.N. is turning out to be a bigger defeat than anticipated," he added.

In many ways, Israel was caught off guard.

Last week it was fighting Islamist militants in the Gaza Strip, grateful to see much of the West offering support for its determination to stop indiscriminate rocket fire from the Palestinian enclave whose leaders deny Israel's right to exist.

The eight day bombardment ended in a ceasefire that was widely viewed as handing the Hamas rulers of Gaza a PR boost at the expense of Abbas and the Palestine Liberation Organisation, who have renounced violence in favour of diplomacy.

The West pumped billions into Abbas's administration over the years to bolster a partner for Middle East peace and felt they had to rally to his support in New York. Before the Gaza conflict, the Palestinians said they would win 115 'yes' votes at the United Nations. They ended up with more.

Israeli leaders said on Friday the support of Washington was paramount and warned that the Palestinians would suffer for their unilateral actions.

"If I have to choose between the United States, Israel's biggest ally which morally stands above all other nations, and the 138 other countries, I will always choose the United States," said deputy foreign minister, Danny Ayalon.

Israel knew it would lose, but hoped to win support from a strong "moral minority". That did not materialise.

COURT THREAT

However, ministers have toned down their earlier threats of retaliation, warning only of severe repercussions if Abbas uses his newfound position to join the International Criminal Court (ICC) in the Hague and pursue Israel for alleged war crimes.

The Geneva Convention forbids occupying powers from moving "parts of its own civilian population into the territory it occupies", leaving Israeli officials potentially vulnerable to an ICC challenge. Israel says its settlements are legal, citing historical and Biblical ties to the West Bank and Jerusalem.

The Palestinians say they are in no rush to go to the ICC, but the threat is there, putting pressure on Israel to come up with creative solutions to overcome the peace-talks impasse - which the Jewish state blames on Abbas.

"This U.N. vote is a very strong signal to the Israelis that they can't shove this matter under the carpet for any longer," said Alon Liel, former director-general of the Israeli Foreign Ministry. "This is a red light for Israel."

With politicians campaigning ahead of a Jan. 22 election, Israel is unlikely to change course.

Opinion polls suggest Netanyahu's right-wing bloc will win a new term in office. The coalition includes pro-settler parties, and the prime minister's own Likud group appeared to shift to the right in primaries this week, making any land-for-peace compromise with the Palestinians look more complex than ever.

His opponents seized on the U.N. vote. Labor party leader Shelly Yachimovitch blamed Netanyahu and Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman for belligerent rhetoric, saying they were blind to what was happening in the Middle East.

Ex-foreign minister Tzipi Livni, aspiring to become Israel's second female prime minister, blamed a failure of initiative

"When we do not initiate we are imposed upon," she said.

Israeli officials say the Palestinians themselves must show they are ready to make the sort of concessions that they believe are needed to secure an accord - such as renouncing any right to return to modern-day Israel for refugees and their descendants.

However, analysts say that with the elections out of the way, the new government will have a period of calm to try once more to end their decades-old conflict with the Palestinians.

"The strategy toward the Palestinian Authority and statehood is likely to be on the top of the agenda of the next government in the winter," said the Reut Institute's Grinstein.

"The outcome of its strategic reassessment may well be active engagement in upgrading the powers and responsibilities of the Palestinian Authority toward statehood, and eventually recognising the Palestinian Authority as a state."

Yes and like i said, you are wrong. The violence will not end until the Arabs achieve what they've desired for 60 years, which is the destruction of Israel and the expulsion of the Jews. So the peace you, China(Which i don't believe cares one bit for the Palestinians, it's all diplomatic on their part) and the anti-Semitic Europeans desire will never come to pass because they know nothing of the Arab's nature.

Which country who came to vote are not placing their own interests above the interest of the issue at hand? And it is our own interest + a wish for peace in the region on humanitarian grounds that drives our decision for the vote. Of course there are politics involve. The whole thing is political.

By Crispian Balmer

JERUSALEM, Nov 30 (Reuters) - The margin of Israel's defeat in a U.N. vote that granted de-facto statehood to Palestine has disappointed Israeli political leaders, whose attempts on Friday to play down the loss could not disguise its significance.

De-facto statehood? There is no de-facto statehood, there is no recognized " state" in any official form in this equation. I guess journalists are just being a bit too uninformative here...

I never said otherwise. This vote, as most other nations who have voted for "Palestine", was entirely political. Because peace will never be achieved when you appease terrorists like the Arabs.

well the thing is are you guys pleased to have these bloody things going on forever? Why dont you both start the “peace initiative" terms?!

well the thing is are you guys pleased to have these bloody things going on forever? Why dont you both start the “peace initiative" terms?!

Imagine if Japan demanded half of Beijing and Shanghai, the entire Forbidden city, every Buddhist sculpture and a compensation for killing the Japanese while they occupied and raped your country and countrymen. These would be the terms of the peace negotiations. Will you accept these terms? No, this is not peace.

In this hypothetical world, they want to destroy you as the Arabs want to destroy us.

Imagine if Japan demanded half of Beijing and Shanghai, the entire Forbidden city, every Buddhist sculpture and a compensation for killing the Japanese while they occupied and raped your country and countrymen. These would be the terms of the peace negotiations. Will you accept these terms? No, this is not peace.

In this hypothetical world, they want to destroy you as the Arabs want to destroy us.

What the japs have done to us were most disgusting in human race which can only compare with what the Nazis have done to the Israelis!

The japs cannot repeat their atrocities now nor anyone who want to invade China Mainland.

Militarily you are much stronger in the area and you are also backed by Nato and ahem india. You are now in control of Jerusalem! Why do you have to worry about being destroyed and not allowing the Palestines to fear over the same from you + Nato?

What the japs have done to us were most disgusting in human race which can only compare with what the Nazis have done to the Israelis!

The japs cannot repeat their atrocities now nor anyone who want to invade China Mainland.

Militarily you are much stronger in the area and you are also backed by Nato and ahem india. You are now in control of Jerusalem! Why do you have to worry about being destroyed and not allowing the Palestines to fear over the same from you + Nato?

I gave you the example in which the Japanese were demanding things from you after the atrocities they've committed against you to emphasize that the Arabs while being the aggressors and terrorists, demand half of our country from us and even demand from us to commit national suicide. They even demand Jerusalem, our holiest city and eternal capital.

I gave you this comparison to show that there can be no peace with such savages.

Also, Israel is not backed by Nato but rather by the US. Nor can the Indian government be counted on. The Indian government is still heavily Arab friendly. The Indian nation are the ones who have our support and they have ours.

The Palestinians cannot destroy us but the world(Including China, for political reasons clearly) is trying to force us to give into the demands of terrorists and that is why true peace will never be achieved.
They can have their country but not if it means that they become another terrorist hub for our enemies, which will likely happen because the PA is weak and would fall without Israeli protection.

but India has voted in favour of the Palestinian state

I gave you the example in which the Japanese were demanding things from you after the atrocities they've committed against you to emphasize that the Arabs while being the aggressors and terrorists, demand half of our country from us and even demand from us to commit national suicide.

an example quoting the japanese on us is of poor taste man! I also have not heard that the Arabs nor the Muslims have committed atrocities of that magnitude on Jews!

They even demand Jerusalem, our holiest city and eternal capital.

It depends on which religion that you believe in.

I gave you this comparison to show that there can be no peace with such savages.

Bloodsheds on both sides man. Counting the no of casualties on each side will give more detail which side has suffered more human lives.

Also, Israel is not backed by Nato but rather by the US. Nor can the Indian government be counted on. The Indian government is still heavily Arab friendly. The Indian nation are the ones who have our support and they have ours.

I am sure Nato will be on your side when engaged in a larger scale military conflict which involves third parties. you guys are naive on india. they have more politcal masks than our guy here:

face-change.jpg

The Palestinians cannot destroy us but the world (Including China, for political reasons clearly) is trying to force us to give into the demands of terrorists and that is why true peace will never be achieved.

They can have their country but not if it means that they become another terrorist hub for our enemies, which will likely happen because the PA is weak and would fall without Israeli protection.

The Palestinians dont have their country yet registered @ UN. This was a politcal showcase. Dont blame us. Even your best friends were voting against your wishes. And at the end of the day, you are still holding on to everything in substance and going to get more on your resettlement scheme. What have you lost in the aftermath? Literally nothing!

an example quoting the japanese on us is of poor taste man! I also have not heard that the Arabs nor the Muslims have committed atrocities of that magnitude on Jews!

Then you don't know much about this conflict if you do not know that just last year two young Arab "Men" went into a Jewish home and butchered parents and infants alike in their sleep and 2 children who were screaming for their mother while the Arabs stabbed them with a butcher knife multiple times until they stopped screaming. And when caught they told that they were proud of this act.

It depends on which religion that you believe in.

Judaism is the source of all Abrahamic religions. Jerusalem is the capital of the Jewish nation in all the Abrahamic faiths.

Bloodsheds on both sides man. Counting the no of casualties on each side will give more detail which side has suffered more human lives.
Just because they suffer more casualties doesn't mean that they wouldn't have caused thousands of casualties on our side if they had the capability.

I am sure Nato will be on your side when engaged in a larger scale military conflict which involves third parties. you guys are naive on india. they have more politcal masks than our guy here
NATO won't have out back, period. The British, the French and the Turks can be counted on to come to Israel's side as much as i can count on an alligator playing fetch with a deer.

The Palestinians dont have their country yet registered @ UN. This was a politcal showcase. Dont blame us. Even your best friends were voting against your wishes. And at the end of the day, you are still holding on to everything in substance and going to get more on your resettlement scheme. What have you lost in the aftermath? Literally nothing!

We lost nothing but the Palestinians made it clear that Israel has very true few friends in the world, which was their entire goal during this UN session.

It seems to me that you don't know much about Arabs and this conflict in general. You see two combatants fighting, one being overwhelmingly outmatched and thus feeling sympathy towards them.
But you are feeling sympathy for Hyenas who would not hesitate to murder your children just for offending their way of life.

Allow me to repeat: I do not blame, nor hold anything against, China for voting for the Arabs. It is in the political interest to vote for them as you need their oil. There was no animosity in the vote by China, it was purely political.

But do not say that the Arabs and Muslims never committed atrocities against the Jewish nation, because some of the things they've committed against us would make you lose sleep for quite a while.

Then you don't know much about this conflict if you do not know that just last year two young Arab "Men" went into a Jewish home and butchered parents and infants alike in their sleep and 2 children who were screaming for their mother while the Arabs stabbed them with a butcher knife multiple times until they stopped screaming. And when caught they told that they were proud of this act.

Judaism is the source of all Abrahamic religions. Jerusalem is the capital of the Jewish nation in all the Abrahamic faiths.

Just because they suffer more casualties doesn't mean that they wouldn't have caused thousands of casualties on our side if they had the capability.

NATO won't have out back, period. The British, the French and the Turks can be counted on to come to Israel's side as much as i can count on an alligator playing fetch with a deer.

We lost nothing but the Palestinians made it clear that Israel has very true few friends in the world, which was their entire goal during this UN session.

It seems to me that you don't know much about Arabs and this conflict in general. You see two combatants fighting, one being overwhelmingly outmatched and thus feeling sympathy towards them.

But you are feeling sympathy for Hyenas who would not hesitate to murder your children just for offending their way of life.

Allow me to repeat: I do not blame, nor hold anything against, China for voting for the Arabs. It is in the political interest to vote for them as you need their oil. There was no animosity in the vote by China, it was purely political.

But do not say that the Arabs and Muslims never committed atrocities against the Jewish nation, because some of the things they've committed against us would make you lose sleep for quite a while.

My heart felt sympathy to all the people who have died in the conflicts. The Israeli family's tragedy was gruesome. RIP! The Palestinians also have their stories to tell.

Well, time to count your stocks Israel and re-calibrate your foreign policies.

May Peace be descending on the territory!

Back
Top Bottom