What's new

Ultra-left group claims responsibility for attack on Gendarmerie barrack in France

That's the case for the Gendarmerie,but not for the military. I remember reading it was possible in the US for exemple,but not 100% sure. How about in Canada ?

Yes there are options in US and Canada for in-situ domiciling of direct family members. Or can also choose to live off base and get an allowance for that. There is also PMQ which is kind of half way between both (like special zoned residence areas for military families near the barracks/base). Two buddies of mine grew up in the PMQ format (but also sometimes direct base environment), one's dad was in army, the other in Navy (in the days well before everything got pushed together as one unified Canadian forces).

Sometimes depending on rank (like being officer or even NCO), its not really given as option (i.e you have to live on the base with family if you bring them as mandated requirement of the assignment) ....depending on the particular base role and responsibility in the military network etc. I would also imagine some bases do not have in-situ domiciling at all in first place. Lot of variety in type of base and size/importance etc after all.

@jhungary maybe has more to share

That's the case for the Gendarmerie,but not for the military. I remember reading it was possible in the US for exemple,but not 100% sure. How about in Canada ?

Yes there are options in US and Canada for in-situ domiciling of direct family members. Or can also choose to live off base and get an allowance for that. There is also PMQ which is kind of half way between both (like special zoned residence areas for military families near the barracks/base). Two buddies of mine grew up in the PMQ format (but also sometimes direct base environment), one's dad was in army, the other in Navy (in the days well before everything got pushed together as one unified Canadian forces).

Sometimes depending on rank (like being officer or even NCO), its not really given as option (i.e you have to live on the base with family if you bring them as mandated requirement of the assignment) ....depending on the particular base role and responsibility in the military network etc. I would also imagine some bases do not have in-situ domiciling at all in first place. Lot of variety in type of base and size/importance etc after all.

@jhungary maybe has more to share

In a way, US soldier don't really live in their barracks, they live in the village or community within the Base Area. Base area have limited access by civilian, you can still enter if you do not have a dependent card (Because that is where all the museum is) and base/barrack in our term is for strict Military Access only, to which no civilian access except when they were authorized.

Family and individual soldier have both housing within the Base Area (usually allotted by your Unit) Individual soldier have either living hall (shared accommodation with 2, 3 or 4 of your fellow soldier) or if you are a NCO or above (E-5 + ) you can apply for an individual quarter. All married service member, regardless of rank are allowed to apply Family Housing on base, which is basically a lot of canned 2 bedroom townhouses or condo sit around the base.

Another option for our military is off post housing, which basically mean you buy/rent from local renter outside your base.

And it does not actually readily available for all soldier, you were encouraged to find off base housing because that way, the Army will pay you allowance, and on the other hand, you pay the army to live on Base.

Back
Top Bottom