What's new

UK warned of 'retaliatory action' after three-quarters of small French boat licences denied

Invicta

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The French are angry again... :yahoo:

France has accused the UK of "taking French fishing hostage" after it refused three-quarters of licence applications for small boats in British waters.

The UK government gave permission to just 12 out of 47 French boats under 12 metres to operate in its exclusive economic zone and territorial sea.

Ministers from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) claim the decision is "reasonable" and in line with the Brexit agreement.
But their French counterparts have reacted furiously, with sea minister Annick Girardin telling Le Monde it represents a "new refusal of the British to apply the conditions of the Brexit accord".

"French fishing must not be taken hostage by the British for political ends," she added.
It risks sparking another fishing war in the Channel, with France's Europe minister Clement Beaune claiming it will "not hesitate to take retaliatory action".

In May, Royal Navy vessels had to be deployed amid protests by French fishermen.
The current tensions come amid an ongoing dispute between the UK and France over migrants crossing the Channel.

French ministers have said they will not tolerate "blackmail" or breaches of international law after the UK began training Border Force staff in 'pushback tactics'.

This involves the forced turnaround of some migrant vessels away from the UK toward French shores.

The Home Office claims it has taken legal advice that such measures are in line with maritime law.
There are also tensions over the UK's decision to sign up to the AUKUS defence agreement with Australia and the United States, which saw France lose out on a multi-billion-dollar submarine contract.

A Defra spokesman said in response to the decision over fishing licences: "We have been considering applications for vessels of under 12m in length to fish in this zone and, on the basis of the evidence available, we are able to grant licences for 12 of the 47 applications made.

"Our approach has been reasonable and fully in line with our commitments in the Trade and Cooperation Agreement (TCA)."

The French are angry again... :yahoo:

France has accused the UK of "taking French fishing hostage" after it refused three-quarters of licence applications for small boats in British waters.

The UK government gave permission to just 12 out of 47 French boats under 12 metres to operate in its exclusive economic zone and territorial sea.

Ministers from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) claim the decision is "reasonable" and in line with the Brexit agreement.
But their French counterparts have reacted furiously, with sea minister Annick Girardin telling Le Monde it represents a "new refusal of the British to apply the conditions of the Brexit accord".

"French fishing must not be taken hostage by the British for political ends," she added.
It risks sparking another fishing war in the Channel, with France's Europe minister Clement Beaune claiming it will "not hesitate to take retaliatory action".

In May, Royal Navy vessels had to be deployed amid protests by French fishermen.
The current tensions come amid an ongoing dispute between the UK and France over migrants crossing the Channel.

French ministers have said they will not tolerate "blackmail" or breaches of international law after the UK began training Border Force staff in 'pushback tactics'.

This involves the forced turnaround of some migrant vessels away from the UK toward French shores.

The Home Office claims it has taken legal advice that such measures are in line with maritime law.
There are also tensions over the UK's decision to sign up to the AUKUS defence agreement with Australia and the United States, which saw France lose out on a multi-billion-dollar submarine contract.

A Defra spokesman said in response to the decision over fishing licences: "We have been considering applications for vessels of under 12m in length to fish in this zone and, on the basis of the evidence available, we are able to grant licences for 12 of the 47 applications made.

"Our approach has been reasonable and fully in line with our commitments in the Trade and Cooperation Agreement (TCA)."

Oi mate! you got a loicense for small boat fishin'?

The applications have been rejected as the fishermen have failed to prove that they have ever wished in those waters - that is the terms of the withdrawl agreement that was signed. If you can prove you have fished there before then you can have a license.

These rejections are correct/appropriate.

The applications have been rejected as the fishermen have failed to prove that they have ever wished in those waters - that is the terms of the withdrawl agreement that was signed. If you can prove you have fished there before then you can have a license.

Don't counter the tantrum with good coherent points, petit général has spoken like roi de la république. Us peasants have no place to argue against his majesty's delusions.

Question: What's with the chaos and shortage of fuel in the UK right now? Customs problems because of Brexit? Trade problems? Embargo? What's going on?

Question: What's with the chaos and shortage of fuel in the UK right now? Customs problems because of Brexit? Trade problems? Embargo? What's going on?
There was HGV driver shortage that was well documented due to COVID a lot of retests and regular license tests were delayed which compounded the issue. With regards to fuel officially there is shortage of drivers with BP which was effecting their 200-300 stations and then the media spun it and people panicked. Now there are queues everywhere. I have found there to be no shortage, yes the queue was long but I got fuel to go to work like every week.

In this day and age information wars can cripple any supply chain and what we are witnessing is a self infliction of this misery by selfish people. I know two garage owners and they keep telling me their deliveries are not cancelled, they are getting fuel like they normally would - however, people are buying at a higher than normal rate which is effecting this issue and creating a bigger issue.

There was HGV driver shortage that was well documented due to COVID a lot of retests and regular license tests were delayed which compounded the issue. With regards to fuel officially there is shortage of drivers with BP which was effecting their 200-300 stations and then the media spun it and people panicked. Now there are queues everywhere. I have found there to be no shortage, yes the queue was long but I got fuel to go to work like every week.

In this day and age information wars can cripple any supply chain and what we are witnessing is a self infliction of this misery by selfish people. I know two garage owners and they keep telling me their deliveries are not cancelled, they are getting fuel like they normally would - however, people are buying at a higher than normal rate which is effecting this issue and creating a bigger issue.
So it's all because of the drivers and not shortage of fuel or super-market items etc? The media presented it as if Britain's in state of embargo or something and Englishmen and migrants are going nuts at the fuel stations o_O

So it's all because of the drivers and not shortage of fuel or super-market items etc? The media presented it as if Britain's in state of embargo or something and Englishmen and migrants are going nuts at the fuel stations o_O
Yes, it's shortage of drivers, the media is to blame for this panic, the media has also been saying all supermarket shelves are empty too - not in my area. The only time I have seen empty shelves in my local morrisons is if I am there between 8:00pm - 11:00pm, and that is because people have bought what they need and the supermarket is filling its shelves again during the night shift.

That being said what is causing issue in UK is Insulate Britain - an off shoot of Extinction Rebellion. That is another matter though and I hope someone runs them over just to make our life easier.

British are drawing their lines after Brexit, as they should.

Back
Top Bottom