What's new

UK says will support India to build fighter jets for which it will offer "the best of British know-how on building battle-winning aircraft"

UK isn't really flexible with any type of negotiations even. That was the reason deal for additional Hawks was dropped.

As for tempest, it is not going to happen. Everyone in Europe will eventually end up buying more F35s and will serve them for 40 years before USA comes up with a project to replace them.

UK and France have their own local engine and Aerospace industries.

All they need is a dumb customer like India to pay preminum prices to keep their industries and jobs at home.

Also anything shared could end up with the Russians (close Indian ties) .
Russians work in the same shipyard in Vishakapatnam on the SSBN project , where Israelis and French work on the Ballistic Missile Tracking Ship project and if F18 wins the MRCBF, Americans will be stationed in the same city too. Russians don't know about western radars or P8 and the west doesn't know about the Russian reactors technology.

Outside Europe actually India has the strongest case in respecting the end user agreements. Media may talk about it but we keep that thing straight.

UK and France have their own local engine and Aerospace industries.

All they need is a dumb customer like India to pay preminum prices to keep their industries and jobs at home.
Not actually. If we look closely India might be the 3rd or 4th largest buyer only for France now, for UK, may be the 10th.

Almost every nation has bought equal or more Rafales and that too without much haggling on the price. So they don't really need India as a coustomer.

British has done already with TFX where there are 100 BAE Aerospace engineer working there, so I think they could do the same to help AMCA program, but AMCA design is almost fixed so I rather see it as British proposal to supply the subsystems and also engine as they have the same class engine similar to F414 in trust and diameter and lenght

Turkey is part of NATO.

Russians work in the same shipyard in Vishakapatnam on the SSBN project , where Israelis and French work on the Ballistic Missile Tracking Ship project and if F18 wins the MRCBF, Americans will be stationed in the same city too. Russians don't know about western radars or P8 and the west doesn't know about the Russian reactors technology.

Outside Europe actually India has the strongest case in respecting the end user agreements. Media may talk about it but we keep that thing straight.

That's fine, I spoke from their perspective. It doesn't ally their fears.

That's fine, I spoke from their perspective. It doesn't ally their fears.
It does. To a very large extent. It’s really just you lacking perspective on India or about how others with experience dealing with India on these issues understand it. And I say this with no malice.

It does. To a very large extent. It’s really just you lacking perspective on India or about how others with experience dealing with India on these issues understand it. And I say this with no malice.

No it doesn't, I've spoken to BAE employees first hand. You live in India so won't get the chance to visit major airshows, events and exhibitions to put such questions to them. The trust issue will always be there due your close ties to Russia.
By the way no offence taken.

Last edited:
No it doesn't, I've spoken to BAE employees first hand. You live in India so won't get the chance to visit major airshow, events and exhibitions to puts such questions to them. The trust issue will always be there due your close ties to Russia.
By the way no offence taken.

Me living in India does not limit my ability to attend “air shows or exhibitions” in other countries :)

Admittedly I don’t attend as many as I ought to. But I continue to see my fair share and mix quite well with IGO and MIC communities - EMEA in particular. A lot of ToT transactions have been executed in the recent past. It’s not even a brag to say there’s a fair bit of understanding (and respect) now about how India handles IP where it matters.

Time will demonstrate what I’m saying anyway in no uncertain terms. In the meantime, I think I’ll agree to disagree with you here — mostly because it’s a matter of perspective which will always carry bias.

Me living in India does not limit my ability to attend “air shows or exhibitions” in other countries :)

Admittedly I don’t attend as many as I ought to. But I continue to see my fair share and mix quite well with IGO and MIC communities - EMEA in particular. A lot of ToT transactions have been executed in the recent past. It’s not even a brag to say there’s a fair bit of understanding (and respect) now about how India handles IP where it matters.

Time will demonstrate what I’m saying anyway in no uncertain terms. In the meantime, I think I’ll agree to disagree with you here — mostly because it’s a matter of perspective which will always carry bias.

Of course it doesn't, but over many years of interactions with Indian defence enthusiast the vast majority haven't stepped outside their country.
I respect your knowledge on the IP details, and yes I think it's best to say we disagree and only time can tell what will happen.

What could the UK offer that the U.S. could not? If the U.S. decides to pull the plug, what's there to stop the UK from doing the same?

Nobody in the Indian establishment is fooled by this neo-East Indian company honcho.
For those outside of South Asia, this is EXACTLY how the Brits used to open their dealings with Indian kingdoms... jack-up their ego, behave like long lost friends,promise military superiority against enemies, make them fight till ruination, then either make them tribute-paying vassals Or gobble them altogether.
Wait... they already is implementing this modus operandi in Ukraine!

Trying to recollect which fighter the UK make alone, pretty sure none. Not discounting technical knowledge in aviation just UK is dependant heavily on others.

Back
Top Bottom