What's new

UBL Starts Blocking Netflix Payments

maithil

Reaction score
Country
India
Banking customers often use their debit and credit cards for online payments to Pakistani and international service providers and retailers. However, recent reports have revealed that United Bank Limited (UBL) customers are reportedly unable to make their Netflix payments.

While many of them feared that the bank might be following Meezan Bank in blocking payments for the video streaming platform, the bank’s customer representatives claim that is not the case.

A customer support official has informed ProPakistani that the facility of Netflix payments is unavailable due to some security issues at their end. He mentioned that their security team is fixing the issue, however, refrained from giving a restoration time.

Despite repeated efforts, UBL’s spokesman was unavailable for comment.

Meezan Bank Controversy
It is worth mentioning here that the Shariah-Compliant Meezan Bank’s decision to block payments for Netflix subscription created quite a controversy on social media.

The news picked up when one of Meezan’s users took to Twitter to reveal that his payment for the Netflix subscription was declined. Within hours more and more people joined and started bashing the bank for its ‘ridiculous’ decision.

Following the scandal, the bank had to come up with an official statement saying that the payment was declined after the Shariah board’s decision.

"As per the regulations and Shariah Compliance Guidelines of State Bank of Pakistan, Meezan Bank cannot provide any product or service that is not in line with the guidelines of Shariah Compliance."

https://propakistani.pk/2019/07/17/ubl-starts-blocking-netflix-payments/

Why should vulgar shows be allowed to stream in Islamic republic ? Banks are correctly cracking down on payment options. Same should be done for Primevideo and other Streaming services. Only Shariah compliant program should be allowed for citizens.

Salaam

The bank isn't providing any service relating to Netflix as such. The bank's service is making payments - that is where the Shariah board's obligation ends.

I don't really see how the Bank can decide who you pay to and who not to unless it's security related. This seems either misreported or highly unusual behaviour by Meezan Bank.

Anyways, UBL can't do it for Shariah reasons as it deals in interest as well. So I have my doubts.

I am not a huge banking expert.but my whole family is in banking sector so i wanna share an incident with you guys.my father is UBL employee.back in 2000 he went for some training in Islamabad.there he asked his trainer about whether Islamic banking is possible.his reply was very amazing.BETA ZAMEEM KO ASMAAN KI JAGAH PE LEJAO.AO ASMAAN KO NECHEY.YE MUMKIN HOJAE GA.MAGAR ISLAMIC BANKING MUMKIN NAE HAI.

Banking customers often use their debit and credit cards for online payments to Pakistani and international service providers and retailers. However, recent reports have revealed that United Bank Limited (UBL) customers are reportedly unable to make their Netflix payments.

While many of them feared that the bank might be following Meezan Bank in blocking payments for the video streaming platform, the bank’s customer representatives claim that is not the case.

A customer support official has informed ProPakistani that the facility of Netflix payments is unavailable due to some security issues at their end. He mentioned that their security team is fixing the issue, however, refrained from giving a restoration time.

Despite repeated efforts, UBL’s spokesman was unavailable for comment.

Meezan Bank Controversy
It is worth mentioning here that the Shariah-Compliant Meezan Bank’s decision to block payments for Netflix subscription created quite a controversy on social media.

The news picked up when one of Meezan’s users took to Twitter to reveal that his payment for the Netflix subscription was declined. Within hours more and more people joined and started bashing the bank for its ‘ridiculous’ decision.

Following the scandal, the bank had to come up with an official statement saying that the payment was declined after the Shariah board’s decision.

"As per the regulations and Shariah Compliance Guidelines of State Bank of Pakistan, Meezan Bank cannot provide any product or service that is not in line with the guidelines of Shariah Compliance."

https://propakistani.pk/2019/07/17/ubl-starts-blocking-netflix-payments/

Why should vulgar shows be allowed to stream in Islamic republic ? Banks are correctly cracking down on payment options. Same should be done for Primevideo and other Streaming services. Only Shariah compliant program should be allowed for citizens.

Inhave UBL wiz card and after contacting there helpline they claim there is technical issues on mastercard end that's why this issue persist and ot only Netflix some other platebforms also having issue currently

Banks should stop giving money to people because they spend it on alcohol and prostitute...
Same banks who are okay with interests money are not ready to make a payment for netflix. okay !

In principle, the Netflix should be banned in Pakistan. Most of the content is against Pakistan and Islam

Funny how every bank in Pakistan deals in Riba but has issues with Netflix.

There's a lot of faggots and homosexual loving shows lately on Netflix (just disgusting) so maybe they saw that and that prompted the decision.

Still ironic though.

Funny how every bank in Pakistan deals in Riba but has issues with Netflix.

There's a lot of faggots and homosexual loving shows lately on Netflix (just disgusting) so maybe they saw that and that prompted the decision.

Still ironic though.

When are they banning Anime?

There should be 500% tax on buying streaming service, entertainment contents import

There should be 500% tax on buying streaming service, entertainment contents import

Too low. I propose 10000%

Pakistanis shouldn't be allowed any entertainment. The country should be hell for people living here.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom