What's new

UAE denies visa to Israeli tennis player

Linking sports to events not under control is a complete BS and UAE was rightly fined but it would have been even better if the tournament was canceled.Sports link countries and help a lot in uniting People as it did in Indo-Pak case and denying visa to an international player is complete BS.UAE should be ashamed of the precedent it is setting.

The UAE hasn't set any precedent, it is the Zionist and Israelis who have denied many Arab people particularly the Palestinians the freedom of movement by setting up these blockades and checkpoints all over Gaza and throughout the West Bank. This Israeli tennis player is an Israeli national, the Israeli government has denied many Palestinian athletes rights, but when it's done to this suck-*** Tennis player who was going to lose at Dubai anyways, why the uproar!!!

As far as Sports bringing people together, the India and Pakistan teams playing each other hasn't brought us Pakistanis and Indians together maybe only in the bleachers of the game, but there is still hatred between the two.

Also are you suggesting if the UAE had allowed this Israeli player to play at Dubai relations with Israelis and Arabs would improve, indeed a retarded suggestion If I may add.

Again the UAE made a wise decision...Not a Friendly one!!!

Last edited:
Linking sports to events not under control is a complete BS and UAE was rightly fined but it would have been even better if the tournament was canceled.Sports link countries and help a lot in uniting People as it did in Indo-Pak case and denying visa to an international player is complete BS.UAE should be ashamed of the precedent it is setting.

Where is the OUTRAGE, when Israel wouldn't allow Gaza players to leave for the Asian Cup qualifying tournament????...This is as usual typical BS....It's OK when Israel does it, because they are above the law and better than the Palestinians. Who gives a crap right????...They are Palestinians and are entitled to be treated like crap and no one says anything, but if it's an Israel than the whole world turns upside down. If they are going to cry about this, why did they not complain what was happening to the Palestinian players.

Yeah man Israelis ban Arab athletes all the time from Sporting Events...

What Goes Around Comes Around.

The UAE hasn't set any precedent, it is the Zionist and Israelis who have denied many Arab people particularly the Palestinians the freedom of movement by setting up these blockades and checkpoints all over Gaza and throughout the West Bank. This Israeli tennis player is an Israeli national, the Israeli government has denied many Palestinian athletes rights, but when it's done to this suck-*** Tennis player who was going to lose at Dubai anyways, why the uproar!!!

As far as Sports bringing people together, the India and Pakistan teams playing each other hasn't brought us Pakistanis and Indians together maybe only in the bleachers of the game, but there is still hatred between the two.

Also are you suggesting if the UAE had allowed this Israeli player to play at Dubai relations with Israelis and Arabs would improve, indeed a retarded suggestion If I may add.

You took the words outta my mouth ***** 5 stars. :tup:

Two wrongs never make a right my friend.If Israel does some BS then arabs should also do BS is not a wise thing to do.It is not in any way makes sense.
Do you think that U.A.E. denying visas to israeli players helping palestinian cause???

I have never said that but what I have said is that sports link communities and even if it may not improve Israel-Arab relations it will atleast not deteriorate theirs.

Wise in which sense.Are the people of world admiring UAE actions ,I dont see that.What UAE has recieved is criticism.

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — Venus Williams won her 40th singles title Saturday, defeating Virginie Razzano of France 6-4, 6-2 in the final of the Dubai Tennis Championship.

During the trophy presentation, Williams spoke about Shahar Peer, the Israeli player who was denied entry into the United Arab Emirates for the tournament because of what organizers called security concerns.

"I felt like I had to talk about her," Williams said. "I thought it was brave of her to come here and try and play despite knowing that it is not going to be easy for her. My dad grew up in an area where if you spoke too much, it was your life. So I felt I had a small opportunity to say something where everyone will listen."

Peer was denied entry into the country a week ago. The WTA fined organizers of the tournament a record $300,000 Friday, saying it will compensate Peer and ensure other Israeli players aren't shut out of future events.

"I am not here to rock any boat or upset people, I am just here to do things that are right," Williams said. "And I think right things are already happening next week and right things will happen next year."

Israeli player Andy Ram was granted a visa Thursday for the upcoming men's tournament in Dubai. On Saturday, organizers said Ram would have the security needed to play.

"Obviously, Andy Ram got his visa, so I'll be happy to come and defend next year," Williams said. "If everyone is not given the equal opportunity to play, I'd rethink. But I love this tournament. They really care about the players."

Williams, who reached the semifinals in Dubai in 2002, got her only break of the first set against Razzano in the 10th game.

"I think she definitely had a much better week than I had, even though I won the tournament," Williams said. "She played a great game and she came with a great game plan to come out and attack. She'd have been in trouble if she had let me take control of the match.

"But I am pretty used to players coming against me and playing aggressive tennis. I can't really control that, so I just try and play my side of the court."

Williams will improve to No. 5 in the WTA rankings when they are released Monday.

Razzano, who upset second-seeded Dinara Safina and fifth-seeded Vera Zvonareva in Dubai, said her performance was the best of her career.

"I am very happy," said the 58th-ranked Frenchwoman, who needed a medical time-out for her back. "I am happy for Venus, who played great and deserved to win. And I am feeling happy for myself because I played so well throughout the week. I know I can challenge the top players."
link

The social, cultural, diplomatic boycott of Israel by Arab and Muslim countries is the only leverage they have when trying to push for an effective peace process in the middle east.

If Israel gets all such rights,without having given the Palestinians equal rights, they will never do so.

I wonder, how many times Venus Williams has given voice to the stranded Palestinian sportsmen who cannot even play against a football team on the other side of their town, due to israeli blockades, let alone represent their country internationally.

The social, cultural, diplomatic boycott of Israel by Arab and Muslim countries is the only leverage they have when trying to push for an effective peace process in the middle east.
Don't you think you have that exactly backwards? Don't you think that if Israel didn't feel that so many Arabs were ill-minded towards Jews then Israel would be more willing to consider peace rather than war when stray missiles come raining down and its citizens get abducted?

Its citizens get abducted? One Israeli soldier held by the palestinians...While thousands upon thousands of palestinians held as political prisoners, including members of parliament?

Stray missiles? How many Israelis have been killed due to 'rockets' fired by Palestinians in the last couple of years? 5? 10?

How many hundreds of Palestinians have been in killed during that time, before the recent hostilities at the start of the year?

For every Israeli killed, 50-100 palestinians are blown to smithereens (the majority of them women and children), yet they are still the agressors?

Darkstar, I appreciate your spirit of inquiry, but I am only one person and I don't have all the time in the world. You have many questions inquiring about facts, and these answers can be found, if you make the effort to seek out accurate sources.

I was discussing the psychological state of the Israelis as a people. If you think Israelis are driven to war by their feelings of insecurity and isolation while under attack (as many do), then wouldn't the effort to address those feelings by extending the hand of friendship be a more direct and effective approach than banishment?

My questions were of a rhetorical nature. I've answered them myself, in the context of the post.

So my questions, which deal with the utility of the boycott, are to be ignored in favor of your own, which deal with - what is your point, exactly?

Same would have happened if a Muslim player tried to play in Israel don't forget Mohammed Sissoko back then when liverpool played against Maccabi Haifa no one seem to take anything from Israel for that.

Back
Top Bottom