What's new

U.S. seeks to defuse spat with India

Well, this is what happens when you take an Indian slave to US, make her work long hours for peanuts, and assume she'll continue to do that since her family is back in India.

US responded properly. I'm surprised more women organizations aren't coming out in support of Sangita Richard in India.

Every now and then one moron pops up and sprouts nonsense without having a clue whats going on...

Sangeeta had a diplomatic pass port , do you know the privileges provided by a diplomatic passport ? or did you decide to pass hot air without having a clue ?

Every now and then one moron pops up and sprouts nonsense without having a clue whats going on...

Sangeeta had a diplomatic pass port , do you know the privileges provided by a diplomatic passport ? or did you decide to pass hot air without having a clue ?

The maid had a diplomatic passport?

Why the f**k is GOI issuing diplomatic passports to housemaids? Can you explain please?

The maid had a diplomatic passport?

Why the f**k is GOI issuing diplomatic passports to housemaids? Can you explain please?

I am not sure honestly , this was claim made by the Maids father , from my information she had an A3 visa. Either way ...the claim of she being a slave falls flat on her face. most probably since Diplomat was the employer the employee also enjoyed certain privileges until she ran away from work and had her Visa canceled

She was given free food ,Housing,clothing,entertainment , free plane ticket to India every year back , Medical insurance, Ipad ,Sim and had enough free time to do side jobs(this claimed by Devyani and her family) and besides , because she being the employee worked for the Indian Embassy and got all the perks for that... and Rs 30,000 Salery which was agreement by the Maid herself before coming to the U.S.

Answer these 5 questions as well please

1. In fact considering America's history with illegal immigrants, Why was it that even though the nanny absconded from her work place in July and had her Indian passport revoked she was not arrested by the NYPD ?

2. Why was it that when the Delhi High court passed an injunction against the nanny that she was not declared an illegal fugitive in the eyes of the law ?

3. Why did the govt. of US provide such special treatment to an illegal Indian fugitive from law ?

4. Why did the US further provide a visa for her husband and child by 10th December and facilitate their escape into the US and THEN arrest the Indian diplomat on 12th December ?

5. It was the nanny who claimed a salary of more than 4,500$ when she filled the DS 160 form for A3 visa. Why is she not arrested for Visa fraud when she already had a contract with the diplomat for a far lesser salary ?

The Maid's pay should not even be a issue.

Article 47 of the Vienna convention on consular relationship states clearly that the domestic staff working in consulates do not even require a Work Permit, thus excepting them from the labour laws of the host nations. Also the minimum wage laws of the host nation.

As long as the minimum wage of India was satisfied, there is NO legal case

Last edited:
I am not sure honestly , this was claim made by the Maids father , from my information she had an A3 visa. Either way ...the claim of she being a slave falls flat on her face. most probably since Diplomat was the employer the employee also enjoyed certain privileges until she ran away from work and had her Visa canceled

She was given free food ,Housing,clothing,entertainment , free plane ticket to India every year back , Medical insurance, Ipad ,Sim and had enough free time to do side jobs(this claimed by Devyani and her family) and besides , because she being the employee worked for the Indian Embassy and got all the perks for that... and Rs 30,000 Salery which was agreement by the Maid herself before coming to the U.S.

Answer these 5 questions as well please

1. In fact considering America's history with illegal immigrants, Why was it that even though the nanny absconded from her work place in July and had her Indian passport revoked she was not arrested by the NYPD ?

2. Why was it that when the Delhi High court passed an injunction against the nanny that she was not declared an illegal fugitive in the eyes of the law ?

3. Why did the govt. of US provide such special treatment to an illegal Indian fugitive from law ?

4. Why did the US further provide a visa for her husband and child by 10th December and facilitate their escape into the US and THEN arrest the Indian diplomat on 12th December ?

5. It was the nanny who claimed a salary of more than 4,500$ when she filled the DS 160 form for A3 visa. Why is she not arrested for Visa fraud when she already had a contract with the diplomat for a far lesser salary ?

The Maid's pay should not even be a issue.

Maid's pay is the central issue of this fiasco! Devyani, when filing visa paperwork for Sangita Richard had claimed that the maid will be paid $4500 per month for her services. This is done in order to comply with the local and national minimum wage laws.

There have been many instances of immigration authorities cracking down on these workers who are abused by their employers who promise them higher wages, but once they get to US their passports are confiscated and are made to work long hours without the agreed salary.

Apparently this is a common practice among the diplomatic community of many countries. Devyani figured she could get away with it, too bad for her she got caught.

If Devyani had been paying the maid $4500 as originally agreed upon we wouldn't be discussing it today. Therefore, maid's salary is THE issue.

IMO, GOI should hire a good lawyer and use that avenue to minimize the legal penalties for Devyani, instead of trying to pressure USG. You can get away with murder (literally) in US if you have a good legal team!

That would be the smart thing to do, but instead I have a feeling that this drama will go on!

Maid's pay is the central issue of this fiasco! Devyani, when filing visa paperwork for Sangita Richard had claimed that the maid will be paid $4500 per month for her services. This is done in order to comply with the local and national minimum wage laws.

Apparently this is a common practice among the diplomatic community of many countries. Devyani figured she could get away with it, too bad for her she got caught.

If Devyani had been paying the maid $4500 as originally agreed upon we wouldn't be discussing it today. Therefore, maid's salary is THE issue.

She herself doesn't get $4500 , she gets $4100 , so paying her more than she makes is out of the question . This whole thing has been brewing since six months , Sangeeta had stolen important documents , black berry mobiles and other things and NYPD refused to register a case on it ... Indian govt. has been trying to get U.S govt , but Indian govt. and Diplomat got was received with utter silence and suddenly they turn up to Arrest her in the worst possible way ( there are three kinds of arrest)

This is a classic case of entrapment by the U.S knowing the loopholes , but they also messed the whole thing up with the Attorney opening his mouth.....

[Note: there are some serious allegations by the maid's family in this article.]

Indian diplomat treated housekeeper ‘like a slave’ | New York Post

In India, Devyani Khobragade advocated for women’s rights. But in New York, she was a slave driver, says the family of Khobragade’s housekeeper.

Consular official Khobragade worked domestic servant Sangeeta Richard from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. every day, “tantamount to keeping a person in slavery-like conditions or keeping a person in bondage,” Richard’s husband, Philip, said in court papers filed in Delhi, India.

“Even though the contract stipulated that Sunday would be an off day, she worked from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m., minus two hours for church . . . She worked from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Saturday, as well,” Philip Richard said.

And the housekeeper’s daughter, Jennifer Richard, wrote to US officials last summer that her mom “used to sound unhappy whenever she talked to us on the phone. She asked Devyani to send her back to India, but Devyani refused her request.”

The complaints from Richard’s family were reported by Outlook India.

nanny21.jpg

Sangeeta Richard

Khobragade, 39, is widely portrayed by India’s media and political establishment as a victim for having been arrested and strip-searched by federal authorities earlier this month.

But months before she was charged, Khobragade’s father, Uttar, also a diplomat, tried to muzzle the complaints by Richard’s family, Outlook India reported.

Earlier this year, Uttar Khobragade sent police on a late-night visit to the home of Richard’s family in India.

“There were five policemen. From that day onwards police has [sic] started calling my father, my brother and me as well,” Richard’s daughter wrote to the US State Department in July.

“He [Uttar Khobragade] said to my father that he would destroy our future and not let my father continue with his job anymore.”

India Saturday upgraded Khobragade’s status from a consular official to a member of the nation’s UN delegation.

Indian officials say transferring Khobragade to the UN gives her more diplomatic protection from arrest.

A State Department spokeswoman declined to say whether the ploy would work in Khobragade’s favor .

[Note: there are some serious allegations by the maid's family in this article.]

Indian diplomat treated housekeeper ‘like a slave’ | New York Post

In India, Devyani Khobragade advocated for women’s rights. But in New York, she was a slave driver, says the family of Khobragade’s housekeeper.

Consular official Khobragade worked domestic servant Sangeeta Richard from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. every day, “tantamount to keeping a person in slavery-like conditions or keeping a person in bondage,” Richard’s husband, Philip, said in court papers filed in Delhi, India.

“Even though the contract stipulated that Sunday would be an off day, she worked from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m., minus two hours for church . . . She worked from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Saturday, as well,” Philip Richard said.

And the housekeeper’s daughter, Jennifer Richard, wrote to US officials last summer that her mom “used to sound unhappy whenever she talked to us on the phone. She asked Devyani to send her back to India, but Devyani refused her request.”

The complaints from Richard’s family were reported by Outlook India.

nanny21.jpg

Sangeeta Richard

Khobragade, 39, is widely portrayed by India’s media and political establishment as a victim for having been arrested and strip-searched by federal authorities earlier this month.

But months before she was charged, Khobragade’s father, Uttar, also a diplomat, tried to muzzle the complaints by Richard’s family, Outlook India reported.

Earlier this year, Uttar Khobragade sent police on a late-night visit to the home of Richard’s family in India.

“There were five policemen. From that day onwards police has [sic] started calling my father, my brother and me as well,” Richard’s daughter wrote to the US State Department in July.

“He [Uttar Khobragade] said to my father that he would destroy our future and not let my father continue with his job anymore.”

India Saturday upgraded Khobragade’s status from a consular official to a member of the nation’s UN delegation.

Indian officials say transferring Khobragade to the UN gives her more diplomatic protection from arrest.

A State Department spokeswoman declined to say whether the ploy would work in Khobragade’s favor .

Nothing we did not expect, we will never know what the truth is , Diplomat claims she worked only 5 hours a day and had other side jobs and Maid claims otherwise .. The question which should be asked is why did she wait for seven months to file a complaint .... The whole article sounds like a propaganda .... tbh

Nothing we did not expect, we will never know what the truth is , Diplomat claims she worked only 5 hours a day and had other side jobs and Maid claims otherwise .. The question which should be asked is why did she wait for seven months to file a complaint .... The whole article sounds like a propaganda .... tbh

I agree these are claims and counter-claims. The reason I believe the maid's version is that the NY prosecutors would not arrest an Indian diplomat unless they had a strong case. They wouldn't just believe whatever the maid said.

She herself doesn't get $4500 , she gets $4100 , so paying her more than she makes is out of the question . This whole thing has been brewing since six months , Sangeeta had stolen important documents , black berry mobiles and other things and NYPD refused to register a case on it ... Indian govt. has been trying to get U.S govt , but Indian govt. and Diplomat got was received with utter silence and suddenly they turn up to Arrest her in the worst possible way ( there are three kinds of arrest)

That is what she signed for on her maids visa application form. Like I said earlier, Devyani did not think in her wildest dreams that the document she was signing that time will come back to haunt her later on. Everything she has signed off on is in black and white and will play out in court. We can sit and argue here all we want.

This is a classic case of entrapment by the U.S knowing the loopholes , but they also messed the whole thing up with the Attorney opening his mouth.....

What possible motive is there for US for this entrapment?

I agree these are claims and counter-claims. The reason I believe the maid's version is that the NY prosecutors would not arrest an Indian diplomat unless they had a strong case. They wouldn't just believe whatever the maid said.

True , but the fact that it took 6 months of silence from June to December and ignoring the diplomats and Indian govt. request to resolve the issue and suddenly side with the maid is also suspicious . N.Y.P.D reluctant to register a case against theft of documents and mobile phone is also very suspicious....

but then...as you and Nixon told ...she might be a bastard, but she's our bastard

That is what she signed for on her maids visa application form. Like I said earlier, Devyani did not think in her wildest dreams that the document she was signing that time will come back to haunt her later on. Everything she has signed off on is in black and white and will play out in court. We can sit and argue here all we want.

That is correct , because this has been the norm for 60 years ever since we established an Embassy there .. Weather she will face court and be imprisoned is questionable .... IF that happens , then the shit will hit the fan on the Indo-US relationship

1.Stolen Documents and mobile phones from the Diplomat
2.To teach India a lesson for Ignoring U.S on several international issues
3. and as @Sandy_3186 claimed Nirupama Rao ruffled a lot of feather last time she went to U.S

Well, you're right the truth is somewhere between Devyani's version and Sangeeta's version. And that is why we have courts to determine who is telling the truth.

However, the way Indians are acting it seems like that they know Devyani is guilty and are just hoping that she'll get free if they act like immature cry babies.

True , but the fact that it took 6 months of silence from June to December and ignoring the diplomats and Indian govt. request to resolve the issue and suddenly side with the maid is also suspicious . N.Y.P.D reluctant to register a case against theft of documents and mobile phone is also very suspicious....

but then...as you and Nixon told ...she might be a bastard, but she's our bastard

That is correct , because this has been the norm for 60 years ever since we established an Embassy there .. Weather she will face court and be imprisoned is questionable .... IF that happens , then the shit will hit the fan on the Indo-US relationship

Hope it doesn't come to that, but if it does, India has much more to lose in a cold war with US than the other way around. Hopefully smart guys in India realize that!

Preeth Bharara seems to be high on steroids - he charged 49 russian diplomats on health care fraud earlier this month - the only difference none of them were handcuffed - other than 11 all the others were released.

There seems to be differences between the DA and the state department. Preeth Bharara seems to be going out of his way to prove his loyalties.

1.Stolen Documents and mobile phones from the Diplomat
2.To teach India a lesson for Ignoring U.S on several international issues
3. and as @Sandy_3186 claimed Nirupama Rao ruffled a lot of feather last time she went to U.S

It just show the immature thought process prevalent in the political circles in Delhi. Instead of using backdoor channels to sort this matter, India has chosen to escalate this issue and made it next to impossible for US to give any kind of concession.

Its sad that people are actually buying the conspiracy theories. This incident is making Indians look like jokers, totally unprofessional and immature!

Read my previous post for the reasons i posted for the entrapment

Well, you're right the truth is somewhere between Devyani's version and Sangeeta's version. And that is why we have courts to determine who is telling the truth.

However, the way Indians are acting it seems like that they know Devyani is guilty and are just hoping that she'll get free if they act like immature cry babies.

No....the treatment meted out to her is insulting to the country, its not about an individual anymore..
Countries often save their fellow country men weather they are good or bad , Italy,Russia,England,U.S the examples are many ... Often overseas US soldiers have been whisked away to safety after they were involved in Rape/murder of locals , often angering the locals ... You should read Niruapamo Rao's tweets.. she made 8 points...quiet Brilliant

Hope it doesn't come to that, but if it does, India has much more to lose in a cold war with US than the other way around. Hopefully smart guys in India realize that!

incorrect , India has plenty of friends and U.S has a lot to loose here . U.S just 3 days ago lost a $4billion fighter deal with Brazil because of NSA spying. Not saying it wont damage India a lot , but it will cause huge problems for U.S . Already we are hearing American Corporate Lobbyists trying to get the marshals suspended

Back
Top Bottom