What's new

U.S. Empire in Decline, on Collision Course with China

logic

Reaction score
Source:Niall Ferguson: U.S. Empire in Decline, on Collision Course with China: Tech Ticker, Yahoo! Finance

The U.S. is an empire in decline, according to Niall Ferguson, Harvard professor and author of The Ascent of Money.
"People have predicted the end of America in the past and been wrong," Ferguson concedes. "But let's face it: If you're trying to borrow $9 trillion to save your financial system...and already half your public debt held by foreigners, it's not really the conduct of rising empires, is it?"

Given its massive deficits and overseas military adventures, America today is similar to the Spanish Empire in the 17th century and Britain's in the 20th, he says. "Excessive debt is usually a predictor of subsequent trouble."

Putting a finer point on it, Ferguson says America today is comparable to Britain circa 1900: a dominant empire underestimating the rise of a new power. In Britain's case back then it was Germany; in America's case today, it's China.

"When China's economy is equal in size to that of the U.S., which could come as early as 2027...it means China becomes not only a major economic competitor - it's that already, it then becomes a diplomatic competitor and a military competitor," the history professor declares.

The most obvious sign of this is China's major naval construction program, featuring next generation submarines and up to three aircraft carriers, Ferguson says. "There's no other way of interpreting this than as a challenge to the hegemony of the U.S. in the Asia-Pacific region."

As to analysts like Stratfor's George Friedman, who downplay China's naval ambitions, Ferguson notes British experts - including Winston Churchill - were similarly complacent about Germany at the dawn of the 20th century.

"I'm not predicting World War III but we have to recognize...China is becoming more assertive, a rival not a partner," he says, adding that China's navy doesn't have to be as large as America's to pose a problem. "They don't have to have an equally large navy, just big enough to pose a strategic threat [and] cause trouble" for the U.S. Navy.

Logics' logic doesn't seem too logical. To remove USA from the no 1 spot, you would need a super power. China is no where near to that. And even if China gets close, Russia would kick it back to it's communist regime. USA maybe no 1, but when it comes to no 2 in the list, Russia would do anything to get it. Dude, Russia's military achievements are second to none.

Afterall, you don't need dollars to be in the limelight, you need muscle. And Russia has that. Amen!!!

Last edited:
Logics' logic doesn't seem too logical. To remove USA from the no 1 spot, you would need a super power. China is no where near to that. And even if China gets close, Russia would kick it back to it's communist regime. USA maybe no 1, but when it comes to no 2 in the list, Russia would do anything to get it. Dude, Russia's military achievements are second to none.

Afterall, you don't need dollars to be in the limelight, you need muscle. And Russia has that. Amen!!!

So how do you utilize muscle without money? It's kind of like saying you don't need a missile to project your warheads, you just need a lot of warheads!!! Get real...

Ummm, where's India in this? Oops, it's not! Sorry...

Dude, Russia is gone already, it's poor as crap, it REQUIRES India to pour ALL the money into the PAKFA program in order for it to go full steam, or else, Russia would still be dwelling in its 1/2 way stopped Mig 1.41 project right now.

Its not me claiming all this its your fav Harvard professor Niall Ferguson.

read something because your hate blinds you.

Who cares about Russia anyway?
They sell to anyone with money example RD-93 lol despite our neighbours jumping like baboons over it.

So how do you utilize muscle without money? It's kind of like saying you don't need a missile to project your warheads, you just need a lot of warheads!!! Get real...

Ummm, where's India in this? Oops, it's not! Sorry...

Dude, Russia is gone already, it's poor as crap, it REQUIRES India to pour ALL the money into the PAKFA program in order for it to go full steam, or else, Russia would still be dwelling in its 1/2 way stopped Mig 1.41 project right now.

I am so sorry but what does India have to do with this.
You dont have to rope it into every discussion.

and FYI
Although Russia is not a super power anymore.

It still has retained the majority of Soviet Might. Much of it has undoubtedly diluted.

But it is not poor as Crap.
It has the vast fields of OIL and natural Gas.
And multitude of other minerals.

Russia is intent on capturing the might it once held.
And it is still very much still capable of achieving that.

Although things are rather uncertain, i would not underestimate them so easily.

Russia as a nation is barely 20 years old. They only just transformed from a communist state to a Free market economy.

I wouldn't count them out yet.

I am so sorry but what does India have to do with this.
You dont have to rope it into every discussion.

and FYI
Although Russia is not a super power anymore.

It still has retained the majority of Soviet Might. Much of it has undoubtedly diluted.

But it is not poor as Crap.
It has the vast fields of OIL and natural Gas.
And multitude of other minerals.

Russia is intent on capturing the might it once held.
And it is still very much still capable of achieving that.

Although things are rather uncertain, i would not underestimate them so easily.

Russia as a nation is barely 20 years old. They only just transformed from a communist state to a Free market economy.

I wouldn't count them out yet.

OK, so ask yourself why Russia is willing to sell everything and give its top tech to any nation(Stealth e.g). I brought India along so I could mention it, or else, it's going to be left in the dark.

OK, so ask yourself why Russia is willing to sell everything and give its top tech to any nation(Stealth e.g). I brought India along so I could mention it, or else, it's going to be left in the dark.

You didn't need to do that, some 'other' persons would have dragged India in.... ala "Chindia"...:)

China is the new Superpower of world

#1 Economic power
#1 People in sports
#1 People in Army
#1 People in population
#1 Friends - true friend , china is great nation

And they always say the truth

Well that's a good question.

But Russia doesn't give its Top Technology to any nation. It give it mainly only to India. If i am wrong about this Please feel free to quote me and Correct me.

Why is Russia being so caviler with its technology, when it comes To India.?

For starters India is the worlds largest weapons importer.
And much of those imports come from Russia.
Making India their biggest customer.

Good dialogue perhaps and a history of rather Friendly relations. Might have had something to do with it.

Russia isn't just selling us their tech but is also Helping India Develop its own tech. One thing we can agree this is not just a simple .Buyer seller relationship. Russia wouldn't agree to so many JV and ToT if it was.

But if you haven't figured out why Russia Sells As well as Help us develop so much technology and Weapons.

Ask yourself why China is willing to sell everything and give its top tech to any nation(Stealth e.g).
By any nation of course I mean Pakistan. And of course you say its because you are friends with Common Interests.

Well that's a good question.

But Russia doesn't give its Top Technology to any nation. It give it mainly only to India. If i am wrong about this Please feel free to quote me and Correct me.

Why is Russia being so caviler with its technology, when it comes To India.?

For starters India is the worlds largest weapons importer.
And much of those imports come from Russia.
Making India their biggest customer.

Good dialogue perhaps and a history of rather Friendly relations. Might have had something to do with it.

Russia isn't just selling us their tech but is also Helping India Develop its own tech. One thing we can agree this is not just a simple .Buyer seller relationship. Russia wouldn't agree to so many JV and ToT if it was.

But if you haven't figured out why Russia Sells As well as Help us develop so much technology and Weapons.

By any nation of course I mean Pakistan. And of course you say its because you are friends with Common Interests.

Well, the development of the Su-35 fighter was offered to many nations, including China, which reveals Russia's desperateness.

Well, the development of the Su-35 fighter was offered to many nations, including China, which reveals Russia's desperateness.

true Russia in the Past has been rather squeezed for Funds.

But like i said They can get have the Vast fields of Oil and gas.
As well as the technical know how to exploit them.

Russia needs to sell plains in order to justify making them
Securing the customer before hand can get things done quicker

Listen Russia is hardly poor . They will make a resurgence to a superpower status.
The have the technology, They can get the Money and they have the know how.They have the infrastructure

If you believe that Russia is to be irrelevant,let me remind you They still the worlds largest Nuclear arsenal, They have a nuclear triad.
They still have the strongest armed force in Asia. However slightly they are loosing that Spot to China day a by day.

They have the resources, The Military, the technology, and the population.

What else do you need to become a superpower.

true Russia in the Past has been rather squeezed for Funds.

But like i said They can get have the Vast fields of Oil and gas.
As well as the technical know how to exploit them.

Russia needs to sell plains in order to justify making them
Securing the customer before hand can get things done quicker

Listen Russia is hardly poor . They will make a resurgence to a superpower status.
The have the technology, They can get the Money and they have the know how.They have the infrastructure

If you believe that Russia is to be irrelevant,let me remind you They still the worlds largest Nuclear arsenal, They have a nuclear triad.
They still have the strongest armed force in Asia. However slightly they are loosing that Spot to China day a by day.

They have the resources, The Military, the technology, and the population.

What else do you need to become a superpower.

yeah yeah power power, they're selling their power as we speak!!! They have no MONEY to utilize their power! They have no MONEY to MINE up their resources because

1) No money to pay for all the thousands of miners

2) No money to pay for the technology in doing so

Russia is dead, regardless how much it tries to push forward its "imagined" power. Leave this as it is now, there's nothing else to say.

yeah yeah power power, they're selling their power as we speak!!! They have no MONEY to utilize their power! They have no MONEY to MINE up their resources because

1) No money to pay for all the thousands of miners

2) No money to pay for the technology in doing so

Russia is dead, regardless how much it tries to push forward its "imagined" power. Leave this as it is now, there's nothing else to say.

Well we both had a chance to express our views.

I guess only time Will tell the Tale of Russia

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom