What's new

U.S. bristles at stiff Pakistani NATO fees

RayKalm

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
U.S. bristles at stiff Pakistani fees for supply routes – CNN Security Clearance - CNN.com Blogs

From Mike Mount and Elise Labott

The United States will not agree to pay the stiff fees Pakistan is asking in order to open up NATO supply routes into Afghanistan, U.S. officials told CNN Saturday.

Ahead of a NATO summit on Afghanistan's future, Pakistan is requesting $5,000 per truck as a condition to reopen the supply lines between the two South Asian countries, U.S. officials said.

Recommended: A user's guide to the Chicago NATO summit

The new cost is a sticking point in week-long negotiations between Washington and Islamabad to open the roads, known as the ground lines of communication or GLOCs. U.S. officials say the fees are inflated.

"We're hopeful the GLOCs will be reopened soon, but we're not going to agree to unreasonable charges. The Pakistanis understand that," said a senior defense official who is not authorized to speak publicly about the talks.

Previously, the United States had been paying just a "small fraction" of the requested fee, officials said.

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said the United States would refrain from such a deal due to budgetary restraints.

"Considering the financial challenges that we're facing, that's not likely," Panetta told the Tribune newspaper service earlier in the week.

Pakistan shut down the supply routes - stretching from Afghanistan through the lawless western tribal regions of Pakistan and down to the southern port of Karachi - last November after dozens of its troops were killed in a mistaken U.S. airstrike.

The routes offer a shorter and more direct route than the one NATO has been using since November that goes through Russia and other nations and avoids Pakistan altogether.

Pakistani Ambassador Sherry Rehman said Washington was paying more for the northern route.

"Perhaps, if you look at the end route where your trucks move through much longer, but I believe the double of that amount is paid," Rehman said.

But U.S. officials said the nations along the northern route do not receive "Coalition Support Funds," which should allow Pakistan to lower costs.

The supply route will take on more significance as NATO troops prepare to depart Afghanistan by 2014 and will have to move heavy equipment and supplies out of Afghanistan for shipment from Karachi.

The drawdown forms a big part of the agenda at the NATO summit in Chicago starting Sunday, which Pakistani President Asif Ali Zadari is attending.

Pakistan did allow four trucks containing supplies destined for the U.S. Embassy in Kabul to cross its border Friday, the first in six months.
Rehman called it a first step.

"So this is a new beginning. And, obviously, I bring good tidings," Rehman said.

But U.S. officials were less optimistic. Besides the cost, said one official familiar with the talks, there remained "quite a few other issues" to be worked out. He did not specify what those were.

Ask for the moon and settle for the stars.

That is what Pakistan is doing or atleast hoping to do.

The overall amount received by Pakistan will not rise by much. What Pakistan makes away with increased transit tariffs will likely cause reductions elsewhere. I think this called a "zero sum game" or something like that.

The overall amount received by Pakistan will not rise by much. What Pakistan makes away with increased transit tariffs will likely cause reductions elsewhere. I think this called a "zero sum game" or something like that.

Already aid cut is being discussed and debated in the US congress. I read the last bill about curtailing aid was voted out though.

I have once presented a legitimate price tag of $10'000 per truck, including clearing of back.

I think NATO is learning squeezing tactics from Indians.

Its not possible to ship trucks so cheaply, considering IMF charge Zardari about 21% as markup on all loans.

Haaa! First they were asking for route and now for free? These trucks has caused lots and lots of damage to our road network.

BTW, pressure is mounting on Pakistan government from public (in this election year) to keep supply shut, so these price negotiations gona end up in dust bin.

if usa, nt ready , thn there will be nothing, for nato, talibans, in afghanistan will going to , dump NATO in the oldest, graveyards, of the armies of the world, & whatever pakistan, will lose, USA will , lose everything to china? in the ultimate end?

if usa, nt ready , thn there will be nothing, for nato, talibans, in afghanistan will going to , dump NATO in the oldest, graveyards, of the armies of the world, & whatever pakistan, will lose, USA will , lose everything to china? in the ultimate end?

Pakistan's corridor is more strategic than Suez channel.

While Pakistan is more than a simple passage!

We incur expenses! which need to be reimbursed and can be estimated easily.

NATO countries will just take it out of the hand-out monies they give them.

There is non. Its just gross misinformation.

Hypothetically speaking, Even if you do..... than still it is crime, by Pakistani law to hand out money in exchange of tax evasion or any other benefit.

we should squeeze them for all their worth their wars have bankrupted them and pakistan should do any little thing it can to help put the nails in their coffin U.S warmongering and greed for oil has killed hundreds and thousands of innocent people and destablized many countries their decline as a superpower would mean no more invasions and a better chance for peace and stability in the world.

we should squeeze them for all their worth their wars have bankrupted them and pakistan should do any little thing it can to help put the nails in their coffin U.S warmongering and greed for oil has killed hundreds and thousands of innocent people and destablized many countries their decline as a superpower would mean no more invasions and a better chance for peace and stability in the world.

An openly adversarial relationship will not be good for either party.

atleast that amount will be called hard earned money rather than aid money?? you got me??

atleast that amount will be called hard earned money rather than aid money?? you got me??

Oh I get it - it was transactional fee-for-service money before, and it is still fee-for-service after. Whatever makes you feel better is fine by me.

Back
Top Bottom