What's new

Type 69 Mk. II G Main Battle Tank

The Type-69 Mk.II G MBT is superior to the Al-Zarrar MBT for the following reasons:

Theoretical comparison mind you. ;)

1. The T-69 Mk.II G sports a superior main gun, a 120mm smoothbore, which has greater accuracy and munitions options than the 125mm smoothbore featured in the Al-Zarrar.

Accuracy is generally better on Rifled guns if the one on T-69 MK.II was a rifled 120mm, if you compare smoothbore vs. smoothbore, then 125mm provides higher KE for the round than would 120mm smoothbore gun.
2. The T-69 Mk.II G has superior protection. It features extensive ERA (Explosive Reactive Armor) and SAP (Side Armor Protection).

ERA is typically an add-on feature. AZ and AK are both fully compatible with ERA and it can be applied as and when necessary.

3. The T-69 Mk.II G has the capability to fire missiles from the main gun.

The capability exists on the AK, but not AZ. The downside of this capability is the impact on the gun life.
4. The T-69 Mk.II G has superior crew comfort. The Al-Zarrar still basically offers the same crew comfort as the T-54 and T-55 MBTs.

See Key's point above. Until and unless you change the basic design and layout of a T-69, it would be hard to increase creature comfort.

5. The T-69 Mk.II G has a superior 6TD 1200hp (895kW) supercharged 12-cylinder engine, while the Al-Zarrar has a far inferior 730hp diesel engine.
6. The T-69 Mk.II G has a superior Power/Weight Ratio of at least 26hp/tonne while the Al-Zarrar has a mere 18.25hp/tonne.

Any original content, BD documentation that show the specs (by original content, I do not mean forums)?. It would be good to compare the Hp/tonnage ratio as your numbers do not sound accurate. I suspect AK is heavier than your T-69 and has a 1200HP engine with a documented ratio of 25hp/ton. ::: DEPO - Defence Export Promotion Organization :::
T-69 is a lighter tank and typically this ratio is not done with the ERA on. So I am just wondering what the calculations come out to be in case you have this data available. Otherwise we will go along with what you are claiming.

7. The T-69 Mk.II G has more recent and advanced electronic, communications, laser and other systems.

This is a very general way of suggesting something is better. You have to state the specific components so we can do a fair comparison. On the AZ, the following parameters were optimized besides the engine in order to allow the tank to continue operating in the PA service:
- 125mm Smooth Bore Gun
- 700 HP Engine with compatible power train
- Compatible Gun Control and Fire Control System
- Add-on Armour / Explosive Reactive Armour

All basic things but those that are needed for operations in day/night in the current threat scenario.

AZ with the redesigned glacis and turret.
http://www.depo.org.pk/images/7/39al-zarrar.JPG

By the way, I have yet to see pictures of the BD T-69 MKII. Are there any posted here or elsewhere?

Thanks

Last edited:
Blan I found some on a number of Bengali fora apart from the one with the guy leaning on the tank there only seem to be a few bad images from (by the looks of it) from the independence parade in Bangladesh .

I would love to continue this discussion but the only images i could see were very grainy ones on the forum you mention. If someone could post a clearer image. then this can move forward..

I would love to continue this discussion but the only images i could see were very grainy ones on the forum you mention. If someone could post a clearer image. then this can move forward..

Here we go. BD members can correct me If I got the wrong tank. I believe this is the upgraded version.

type 69 MK. II G

Last edited:
You guys have got the right tank all right.

Most strangely these tanks (which were deployed during the recent Pilkahana massacre) have no side-armour protection and some ERA panels missing. I have no idea why it is so. Anyone have any suggestions?

Other pictures (at BMF) show the completely upgraded MBTs, which have all round ERA protection and side-armour protection.

You guys have got the right tank all right.

Most strangely these tanks (which were deployed during the recent Pilkahana massacre) have no side-armour protection and some ERA panels missing. I have no idea why it is so. Anyone have any suggestions?

Other pictures (at BMF) show the completely upgraded MBTs, which have all round ERA protection and side-armour protection.

May be they are yet to be fully upgraded or taken off some purpose,no idea.
This one has it all:

Last edited:
May be they are yet to be fully upgraded or taken off some purpose,no idea.
This one has it all:

Thanks bro.

Externally this seems to be a completely upgraded tank. Don't know about the interior though.

Those 'grainy' pictures are the ones that show the totally upgraded tanks; I have personally seem them at the parade. Unfortunately there are no high quality pics of that.

If it has a thermal/FLIR its not very good, the imaging panel of what might be a thermal in a couple of the pics is way too small. Side protection is ehh at best, it has no mantlet and the armor layout for the additional applique/ERA is funky.

This tank is what all this fuss is about !?! From a quick visual rundown it doesn't look superior to the Al Zarrar at all.

Here we go. BD members can correct me If I got the wrong tank. I believe this is the upgraded version.

type 69 MK. II G

Correct me if I am wrong, but I see rifling in the barrel. Only 2 other Islamic states use 120mm rifled guns- Iran (Chieftain) and Jordan (Challenger). Other than that, India and the UK use them as well. Who supplied the gun to Bangladesh?

Back
Top Bottom