What's new

Type 052D DDG News & Discussions

309c2370489b20a8556426.jpg
309c2370489b20a854f823.jpg
309c2370489b20a8554824.jpg
309c2370489b20a8555625.jpg

And some seemingly knowing dude said that the Type 052D series destroyer is underarmed with less missiles than a Burke.

I wonder if such judgement from this sole aspect (#VLS) is a sound valuation, and then USN operates 67 Burkes plus 22 Ticos. Thus if it's true that 052D performs less than Burke, then PLAN will need many more quantity to offset the firing power deficiency.

What do you think, guys?

Last edited:
And some seemingly knowing dude said that the Type 052D series destroyer is underarmed with less missiles than a Burke.

I wonder if such judgement from this sole aspect (#VLS) is a sound valuation, and then USN operates 67 Burkes plus 22 Ticos. Thus if it's true that 052D performs less than Burke, then PLAN will need many more quantity to offset the firing power deficiency.

What do you think, guys?
But, if I'm not wrong.
Type 052D VLS is much bigger than VLS in burkes despite they have less number

What do you think, guys?
96 vs 64 VLS
Burke has more fire power than 052D.
055 has more fire power than Burke.

Parity with USN can only achieves no earlier than 2050.
And I doubt PLAN has this ambition atm since global power projection is not a priority for us.

What do you think, guys?

Number of VLS units might be important, but I think it's more important (and urgent) to get new mid-range SAM to fit 4 into one VLS unit. Given the larger size of the VLS unit compared to MK56, this new missile should be capable enough compared to ESSM. Ideally it should be double 5 (top speed 5 Mach and range 50 km).

IMHO 052D is still too small. PLA needs a new class of destroyer (052E or 057 whatever) for general use emphasizing ASW. It should be 8000-9000 tons loaded with IEP (hence will be more likely called 057 due to new type of propulsion system) and be fast enough (e.g. 32 knots) to clear underwater threats for the carrier strike group.
It will operate two Z-20s and have about 80-96 VLS units. The building of this class should start after the first batch of 055 is done and before launch of the next batch of enhanced 055. PLAN needs about 30 such destroyers and In the long run the PLAN carrier strike group will consist of only 055 and this new class besides the carrier and submarines.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom