What's new

Two trillion galaxies in 'observable' Universe

New

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
Part-PAR-Par8086711-1-1-0.jpg

Paris (AFP) - There are a dizzying two trillion galaxies in the Universe, up to twenty times more than previously thought, astronomers reported Thursday.

The surprising find, based on 3D modelling of images collected over 20 years by the Hubble Space Telescope, was published in the Astronomical Journal.

Scientists have puzzled over how many galaxies the cosmos harbours at least since US astronomer Edwin Hubble showed in 1924 that Andromeda, a neighbouring galaxy, was not part of our own Milky Way.

But even in the era of modern astronomy, getting an accurate tally has proven difficult.

To begin with, there is only part of the cosmos where light given off by distant objects has had time to reach Earth.

The rest is effectively beyond our reach.

And even within this "observable Universe," current technology only allows us to glimpse ten percent of what is out there, according to the new findings.

"It boggles the mind that over 90 percent of the galaxies in the Universe have yet to be studied," commented Christopher Conselice of the University of Nottingham, who led the study.

"Who knows what interesting properties we will find when we observe these galaxies with the next generation of telescopes," he said in a statement.

Using deep space images from Hubble, Conselice and his team painstakingly converted them into 3D to measure the number of galaxies at different times in the history of the Universe.

The analysis reached back more than 13 billion years -- very near the time of the "Big Bang" thought to have given birth to the Universe.

A galaxy is a system of millions or billions of stars, held together by gravity, with planetary systems within them.

Using new mathematical models, the astronomers were able to infer the number of "invisible" galaxies beyond the reach of telescopes, leading to the surprising realisation that the vast majority are too faint and far away to be seen.

When the Universe was only a few billion years old, there were ten times as many galaxies in a given volume of space than there are today, the findings suggest.

This in turn suggests that "significant evolution must have occurred to reduce their number through extensive merging of systems."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/two-trillion-galaxies-observable-universe-nasa-182909392.html

Greatest is the Creator of this universe... all praises to Him.

"It boggles the mind that over 90 percent of the galaxies in the Universe have yet to be studied," commented Christopher Conselice of the University of Nottingham, who led the study.
Wrong statement.....you can't possibly study 2x10^12 galaxies....all you can do with the latest tech is watch and count them.. that's it

Last edited:
Greatest is the Creator of this universe... all praises to Him.

Wrong statement.....you can't possibly study 10^24 galaxies....all you can do with the latest tech is watch and count them.. that's it
two trillion galaxies,each galaxy holds around 100 billion stars, average star has multiple planets, on just one planet Earth....how many religions do you think has been created??? over 100 maybe over 1000,

so do you believe these countless alien species believe in the same Abrahamic god?

two trillion galaxies,each galaxy holds around 100 billion stars, average star has multiple planets, on just one planet Earth....how many religions do you think has been created??? over 100 maybe over 1000,

so do you believe these countless alien species believe in the same Abrahamic god?
Earth is the only planet that has the LIFE

i think we are worse creature of universe or even multiverse :rofl:
Sir, not all of the human being are like you :)

Only if life exist in other Galaxies .. so far there is no Prove for either side :)

and religion say we are best creature of universe :p:

Nai yaar Imran Bhai ab ap itne bhi bure nai ho :D

Earth is the only planet that has the LIFE

Sir, not all of the human being are like you :)
earth is only planet we know abut there is life . we are same stupid humans we don't know there is America few hundreds years ago . there is life but we don't know our speed is slow our ability to look is very short .i am sure there is life and also there is life in our milky way galaxy

abut me yeah i am not good man i admit it .
ur_mai-khaana-e-hastii-men-saaqii-ham-donon-hii-mujrim-hain-shaayad-salik-lakhnavi-couplets.png

earth is only planet we know abut there is life . we are same stupid humans we don't know there is amerca few hundreds ago . there is life but we don't know our speed is slow our ability to look is very short .i am sure there is life and also there is life in our milki way galaxy

abut me yeah i am not good man i admit it .
ur_mai-khaana-e-hastii-men-saaqii-ham-donon-hii-mujrim-hain-shaayad-salik-lakhnavi-couplets.png
I love your comments. you are not delusional. We humans are stupids and we won't realise it until next few centuries

I love your comments. you are not delusional. We humans are stupids and we won't realise it until next few centuries
we are now type-0 civilization if we achieve the goals of type-1 civilization (according to dr.micho kaku ) we will be able to reach far away we will have colonies on other planets and we will sure be able to find our life in space . how can there will be no life in billions of planets in habitable zones of billions of stars ? no way we are just a tiny peace of mass a smaller then a grain of sand . there is remaining all the sand of of earth .i am sure next few centuries if we did not destroyed ourselves our kids will laugh on our tech .the only problem is we have power of destruction of whole damn planet . we need to get a life

this is what we are?:D:P

PaleBlueDot.jpg

Back
Top Bottom