What's new

Featured Two Pilots Killed In Iran Fighter Jet Incident

Hey, accidents happen. Those are very old aircraft and there is no button to press. The F-5 has a pair of yellow and black striped handle bars that have to be pulled up by each pilot for his own seat and on both sides simultaneously.
View attachment 749870

Northrop F-5E F-5F Tiger Manual (xs4all.nl)

For what happened to the Iranian pilots in the hanger is one of the most unusual situations and could really only be a short circuit of some kind or an electrical malfunction during the start-up of the aircraft as obviously it is impossible for the two pilots to pull the ejection levers at the same time.

Doubt it was electrical as the seats are highly unlikely to be powered by aircraft power. If the plane is shot down out of the air and the ejection seat relies on power from the plane it defeats the whole purpose of saving the pilot.

Iranian AF is in serious need of upgraded fighters and other equipment. A very tragic and horrific accident, To Allah we belong, and to him, we all shall return.

Give them JF-17s. Iranian needs to seal the deal as soon as their is gap in sanctions. Like 200 jets.
They have Kowsar program based on this F-5. And they plan to buy either J10x or Russian aircrafts. Let go of JF-17 for them as neither party is interested.

I have no idea how this could have happened by accident.

Ejection seat is literally designed so that it cannot be triggered by accident.

This is some big mystery.

too many "accidents" in Iranian army last days.

This and the sinking of navy ship.

I smell sabotage....also a rafinerie is now burning in Tehran....

Iranian AF is in serious need of upgraded fighters and other equipment. A very tragic and horrific accident, To Allah we belong, and to him, we all shall return.

Probably the sanctions preventing them from being armed -- but honestly, Russia could've been building a solid block and it's own version of NATO they've always been very slow to react even in Syria waited until the country was in ruins and have US sitting on Syrian territory as well.

The stupid Iranians' go after Boeing planes rather than arming, they could've hold up on the National Carrier not like it's a big money maker for them, and once they got there money back, they shove it back in a US firms shit hole. The critical thinking aspect in all Muslim nations is sadly lacking, no foresight or anything, each and every move they've made last 100 years it's been a blunder after blunder.

They need to update their game if they want to stay a relevant geo-political power.

There was an accidental ejection and the two pilots collided with the hangar's roof at a high speed, killing them.
ouch RIP
atleast they died instantly... i don't hope torment before death even on my worst enemy
iran should seriously consider retiring these 50 year old aircrafts
The stupid Iranians' go after Boeing planes rather than arming, they could've hold up on the National Carrier not like it's a big money maker for them, and once they got there money back, they shove it back in a US firms shit hole. The critical thinking aspect in all Muslim nations is sadly lacking, no foresight or anything, each and every move they've made last 100 years it's been a blunder after blunder.
ignorance of civilian safety and wellbeing might be a pakistani trait... i'm glad they chose to replace those dangerously unviable aircrafts instead... not that they're going to get them replaced anytime soon but still a step in the right direction
They have Kowsar program based on this F-5. And they plan to buy either J10x or Russian aircrafts. Let go of JF-17 for them as neither party is interested.
won't pakistan face sanctions for selling those to iran?

It's not something unheard of, this RAF Red Arrows pilot was killed when his ejection seat fired while his aircraft was stationery.

1622660141202.png

[/Q

Russians will strike a deal with the US and back off ( like they always did). Chinese might sell but will also try to take advantage of the situation, i.e get US techs out of Isreal. Pakistan got GCC factor, either Pakistan can take them into confidence or at least milk the situation a little to their advantage. :azn:

Remember, if, given the option, Iranian will Dump all their friends in a heartbeat and will place a $100 Billion order for US jets.

isn't the ejection seat activation mechanism manual and independent from airplane electrical system ?

Sure, but in order for the canopy to pop off first, once the handles are pulled, an electric pulse must be sent to its bolts and activate the canopy release detonating charge to blow it off and make room for the seat ejections. So where does that come from? It might have an independent battery system somewhere.

Doubt it was electrical as the seats are highly unlikely to be powered by aircraft power. If the plane is shot down out of the air and the ejection seat relies on power from the plane it defeats the whole purpose of saving the pilot.

Agreed. And we actually witnessed that I think it was in 1989 at Farnborough when the 2 Russian MiG-29s collided with one another and one of them had its wing tear off the other's front fuselage completely while holding the pilot in and he was still able to eject.

As far as the seat is concerned, that's definitely independent and doesn't require electrical assistance since it's gas cartridges are what propel the seat when the ejection lever is initiated. But unless there are detonation cords, in order to jettison the canopy, an electric pulse is needed. Where that comes from in a 2-seat F-5 will require some research or someone more familiar with the system.

The bottom line is that not one seat was ejected, but two seats and it's really not out of the realm of possibilities that an electrical short from the main frame reached the system and triggered the sequence or something else. They could've had a short circuit in the airframe at a moment where it wasn't grounded and the electricity spread through the frame and activated the sequence. It's something like that which I was referring to.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom