What's new

TV commercials ban to take effect

Jun

Reaction score
China's top broadcasting watchdog has ordered a national ban on all TV stations airing commercials during TV dramas.

The new ban will take into effect on Jan 1, 2012 and all TV stations must rearrange their programs to delete all commercials set to air during TV dramas or face stern punishment, said the State Administration of Radio, Film and Television (SARFT) on its website.

Earlier reports show TV stations have mixed responses to the long-rumored ban. East China's Jiangsu Television and North China’s Tianjin Television both made it clear that they will follow the ban, while China Central Television (CCTV), Beijing Television and Shanghai's Dragon Television said they hadn’t received any notice and declined to reveal their stance, according to Beijing News.

A micro blog survey conducted by Sina.com show the majority of people in favor of the ban. About 85 percent of nearly 10,000 respondents say TV commercials are so annoying that they support the ban. Some advocates complain there are now so many commercials that sometimes it's like fragmented TV dramas are inserted into a non-stop relay of different advertisements, ruining the viewing experience.

Still, 11 percent of respondents oppose the ban on the grounds the market shouldn't be subject to excessive administrative regulations. Some voiced their concerns on whether local TV stations will abide by the ban as it will allegedly cost 20 billion yuan ($3.13 billion) in lost advertisement revenue.

The ban is among SARFT's latest efforts to regulate the country's once-rampant TV commercials. Last month, SARFT ordered a ban on sex-related commercials on radio and TV. The administration also said commercial advertisements should not be aired under the guise of a news report, or in the form of a news interview.

TV commercials ban to take effect|Society|chinadaily.com.cn

I have to give the Chinese props on this...great work! When I lived in Germany, (in the 70's) the commercials were in seperate blocks, with little gnome cartoons to make them entertaining.

The ads can be placed after a TV drama is finished, or in between two TV dramas.

But not while the drama is going on.

the whole idea of advertisements is to make people watch them...if ads are placed between two dramas then no one will watch them..thus it will harm the budgets of all tv shows..i like the current method used by many channels in india...they show ads for just one minute with countdown clock.

the whole idea of advertisements is to make people watch them...if ads are placed between two dramas then no one will watch them..thus it will harm the budgets of all tv shows..i like the current method used by many channels in india...they show ads for just one minute with countdown clock.

The gnome cartoons in Germany were popular enough that people looked forward to the advert blocks

I wish there's a similar rule in India. A 30 minute program has 10 minutes of advertising! And when you want to change the channel to avoid the adverts and tune in to something else in the meantime, all you see is more adverts!! Damn!

I think there's a secret understanding between all channels about the timing of commercials - all at the same time so there would be no point switching channels as what you would get to see is more adverts! :blink:

Thank God, the HD (High Definition) channels like Star PlusHD, Star WorldHD, Star MoviesHD, Star GoldHD, ESPN HD, Star SportsHD, DiscoveryHD and National GeographicHD do not have any breaks for adverts!

Cheers!

I wish there's a similar rule in India. A 30 minute program has 10 minutes of advertising! And when you want to change the channel to avoid the adverts and tune in to something else in the meantime, all you see is more adverts!! Damn!

I think there's a secret understanding between all channels about the timing of commercials - all at the same time so there would be no point switching channels as what you would get to see is more adverts! :blink:

Thank God, the HD (High Definition) channels like Star PlusHD, Star WorldHD, Star MoviesHD, Star GoldHD, ESPN HD, Star SportsHD, DiscoveryHD and National GeographicHD do not have any breaks for adverts!

Cheers!

It's all free market economy at work.

The HD channels are quite heftily priced which helps them conpensate for the loss of revenue from not showing the ads.

Did you know that you could even get a newspaper for free. Even now it is priced only nominally. So much is the revenue from ads that these newspapers and TV channels get.

There's no such thing as a free lunch, you know. Either you pay for not watching the ads or you don't pay by watching them.

It's all free market economy at work.

The HD channels are quite heftily priced which helps them conpensate for the loss of revenue from not showing the ads.
Right! I'm paying a mind boggling Rs 1000 as subscription every two months for three HD connections at home! And that really sucks! But beggars can't be choosers, what? :cry:

Donno about others but I mostly ignored TV ads whatever times they are placed.

Right! I'm paying a mind boggling Rs 1000 as subscription every two months for three HD connections at home! And that really sucks! But beggars can't be choosers, what? :cry:

Oh cheer up!

You're not a begger. Beggars don't pay 1000 bucks for TV. :lol:

I have to give the Chinese props on this...great work! When I lived in Germany, (in the 70's) the commercials were in seperate blocks, with little gnome cartoons to make them entertaining.

You remmber the Mainzelmännchen on ZDF channel? They still exist. :)

Well done, China. I hate to be interrupted every 15 minutes by ads when I watch TV.

Back
Top Bottom