What's new

Turkish Oil & Gas Exploration Update & Discussion

if the news is true they have found big source in the Mediterranean.

A second drill-ship was reported in 2017. You cannot decide on such big investments in one day and take delivery of the ship same day. All this is a process.
TPAO has hired Schlumberger, the world’s largest oilfield services firm, to help it with offshore drilling in the Mediterranean Sea.

https://www.offshoreenergytoday.com...s-schlumberger-for-offshore-drilling-support/
Its the biggest news of the last days: TPAO signed a protocol with Schlumberger. This company is the world's largest drilling operator. This means that in areas where determined by Barbaros Hayreddin, We can begin drilling operations in very short time.

Last edited:
I think what they're going to be doing is test drilling. I can't quite remember how it goes, but back at DONG (Danish Oil and Gas) company in 2008, the energy projects around oil were divided up into different categories. Survey, Exploration, Drilling, and Production. (If I remember correctly.)

They'd do some survey, and move a drilling rig to do some exploration drillings. Even if they hit oil there are certain criterias needed to be fulfilled before investing in that spot. Imagine you're spending 100+ millions of USD on building a platform just to realize you only get 100 barrel a day from a well. and it runs out in 5 years. That would be a disaster of magnitude.

Ground hardness determination, sea floor maps preparation and sampling were completed by the oceanographic unit of the Turkish navy. Seismic surveys have been going on for several years with ships from MTA and TPAO. The underwater seismic surveys conducted with the earthquake threat in the country for nearly 10 years constitute the infrastructure of this process.

Finally, with the purchase of deepsea metro 1 and deepsea metro2 vessels for approximately $ 550 million, TPAO will now start underwater drilling in the designated areas with its ships. Turkey is very limited experience in deepwater drilling . therefore TPAO made a protocol with the aim of minimizing the risks in this area with Schlumberger. This process was conducted with previously Rowan Companies/US, in Mediterranean.

snr_arastirma_gemisi_galeri.jpg

Çandarlı_%28A-588%29.jpg

sismik.jpg

TmfvrD.jpg

BARBAROS%2B3.jpg

tpao-ve-schlumberger-akdenizde-is-birligi-yapacak-h1540539468-4b07f2.jpg

showphoto.aspx

Last edited:
When it comes to naval power I think Turkey should not only concentrate on building big ships and developing a blue water navy but that it should copy the Iranian model for naval defense which might be very useful in the Aegean and East Mediterranean Sea.

Iranians and North Koreans invest a lot in fast attack crafts, missile boats and mini submarines which are very mobile, good at harassing and attacking in swarms and can be very useful in warfare even against much stronger navies close to your shores. That tactic is also cheaper too so developing it won’t be very hard from a financial point of view. I wonder if such an option is considered?

Back
Top Bottom