What's new

Turkish Naval Programs

milgemcalisma10_2.gif

RMK-LPD-LPH01.png

Turkiye has bought a vessel which is able to conduct 3-D seismic search for use in oil and gas exploration. First target is the Black Sea and then the Mediterranean will be explored for 3-D seismic search.

This is the vessel

6178171.jpg

it will be painted and will be like this

94361356.jpg

Türkiye'ye Sismik Gemi Sürprizi 31 Ocak 2013 08:05

What´s that on the port rear hull side?

30960_344448182319693_2023024043_n.jpg

I could not take good pictures but I wanna share anyway.

130302009.jpg

130302008.jpg

130302010.jpg

130302011.jpg

The Chinese are bringing out an export ship that would be quite similar....

CSOC_Frigate_IDEX_2013_03.jpg

What´s that on the port rear hull side?

The MILGEM itself has simularities with Littoral Combat Ship-Class Warships, Its pretty normal. :)

The MILGEM itself has simularities with Littoral Combat Ship-Class Warships, Its pretty normal. :)

Well, no, because this has no bearing on LCS. LCF and MILGEM are vastly different. LCS-2 class is entirely different design. LCS-1 Freedom class is substantially larger. The Chinese ship is a light frigate, with similar armament to enhanced MILGEM i.e. a direct competitor.

Well, no, because this has no bearong on LCS. LCF and MILGEM are vastly different. LCS-2 class is entirely different design. LCS-1 Freedom class is substantially larger. The Chinese ship is a light frigate, with similar armament to enhanced MILGEM i.e. a direct competitor.

I see, This might indeed crush our changes of exporting MILGEM to pakistan, China usually builts them much cheaper.

Well, no, because this has no bearing on LCS. LCF and MILGEM are vastly different. LCS-2 class is entirely different design. LCS-1 Freedom class is substantially larger. The Chinese ship is a light frigate, with similar armament to enhanced MILGEM i.e. a direct competitor.
The Chinese light frigate is 135meters, while the Milgem corvette is 99.5 meters.

My question is though, are they planning to install Mk 41 VLS on the Milgem? I saw some concept drawings of the Milgem (from Orko) where it showed VLS on the ship. Did the artist base the incorporation of the VLS on a source or something, or was he just hoping it?

Edit:
I found the picture in this thread (the first picture):
http://www.defence.pk/forums/turkey-defence/178473-milgem-warship-new-form.html

The Chinese light frigate is 135meters, while the Milgem corvette is 99.5 meters.

My question is though, are they planning to install Mk 41 VLS on the Milgem? I saw some concept drawings of the Milgem (from Orko) where it showed VLS on the ship. Did the artist base the incorporation of the VLS on a source or something, or was he just hoping it?
It won't be Ada class that'll be armed with Mk.41. The original design will be stretched. Actually the Ada class corvettes are designed to be stretched later. They already are the shrunken versions of TF100 to begin with :D

Suffice to say, Milgem is more than the Ada class.
Anyone know any news about these projects?
Their names say it all.

Anyone know any news about these projects?

Moship :

The contract was signed on 28 October 2011. The design and construction activities and Factory Acceptance Tests are in progress.

R&T Ship :

The contract was signed on 28 October 2011. The design and construction activities and Factory Acceptance Tests are in progress

confied to Istanbul Shipyard.

It won't be Ada class that'll be armed with Mk.41. The original design will be stretched. Actually for all we know that Ada class corvettes are designed to be stretched later. They are precisely the shrunken versions of TF100 :D

Suffice to say, Milgem is more than the Ada class.

Their names say it all.
According to the drawing I referred to, the Ada class (99 meters one) does have room for Mk 41 VLS right? I guess I am just hoping that the RMK builds will have VLS cells on board, maybe I'm even hoping that Ada 511, 512 will be getting the VLS a little later.

According to the drawing I referred to, the Ada class (99 meters one) does have room for Mk 41 VLS right? I guess I am just hoping that the RMK builds will have VLS cells on board, maybe I'm even hoping that Ada 511, 512 will be getting the VLS a little later.
It may sound strange to you, but "having room" is a bit of a relative term here :) Ada class is a dedicated ASW platform with more than enough ASuW capabilities. Giving it another extra anti-air role would screw it up. It's just not feasible even if it's possible.

If i know anything about Turkish Navy, Ada-class will never be armed with Mk.41s. RAM will be the only air and missile defence Ada-class corvettes will ever have. But later stretched classes will definitely have ESSMs.

It may sound strange to you, but "having room" is a bit of a relative term here :) Ada class is a dedicated ASW platform with more than enough ASuW capabilities. Giving it another extra anti-air role would screw it up. It's just not feasible even if it's possible.

If i know anything about Turkish Navy, Ada-class will never be armed with Mk.41s. RAM will be the only air and missile defence Ada-class corvettes will ever have. But later stretched classes will definitely have ESSMs.
It would be handy for the 99m corvette's to have ESSM missiles (I don't know how comparable ESSM is with RAM missiles). It would future proof the ship for missiles procured in the future. It is also a good look for the corvette on the export market, the buyer will know VLS is a potential option for the ship.

But I guess, if the corvette's dedicated class doesn't allow, or doesn't have the need for VLS on the ship, then there isn't much to discuss about I guess.

It is also a good look for the corvette on the export market, the buyer will know VLS is a potential option for the ship.
That much is true. I spoke only for the Turkish navy. But take Turkmenistan for example, we can almost say there's absolutely no submarine threat in Hazar Lake, so if they were to import Ada class they would have no use for ASW capabilities. It's also the same case for the most of the Arab navies. So making different armaments available could raise the chances of Milgem in the export market.

Back
Top Bottom