What's new

Turkish Naval Programs

Yonca Onuk exports assault boat to Qatar

The delivery ceremony of first assault boat ONUK MRTP34 of Yonca Onuk joint venture to Qatar took place in Istanbul. Undersecretary for Defence Industries Murad Bayar,Chief of General Staff of Emirates of Qatar Ghanim Bin Shaheen Al Ghanim, Navy Commander of Emirates of Qatar Mohammed Bin Nasser Al-Mohannadi and Yonca Onuk joint venture board of directors President Şakir Yılmaztürk attended to the ceremony. The assult boat is named That Assuary (Q-31) and has 21 crew in board. The boat can oparete for 3 days with its own sources on board.

Last edited:
Savunma Sanayii İcra Komitesi, 26 Aralık 2013 tarihinde, Savunma Sanayii Müsteşarlığı tarafından teklif değerlendirme çalışmaları tamamlanan Havuzlu Çıkarma Gemisi (LPD) Projesi kapsamında SEDEF Gemi İnşaatı A.Ş. ile sözleşme görüşmelerine başlanmasına, söz konusu firma ile anlaşma sağlanamaması durumunda sözleşme görüşmelerine 2. sıradaki DESAN Deniz İnşaat Sanayi A.Ş. ile devam edilmesine karar almıştır.

Havuzlu Çıkarma Gemisi (LPD)

Savunma Sanayii İcra Komitesi, 26 Aralık 2013 tarihinde, Savunma Sanayii Müsteşarlığı tarafından teklif değerlendirme çalışmaları tamamlanan Havuzlu Çıkarma Gemisi (LPD) Projesi kapsamında SEDEF Gemi İnşaatı A.Ş. ile sözleşme görüşmelerine başlanmasına, söz konusu firma ile anlaşma sağlanamaması durumunda sözleşme görüşmelerine 2. sıradaki DESAN Deniz İnşaat Sanayi A.Ş. ile devam edilmesine karar almıştır.

Havuzlu Çıkarma Gemisi (LPD)
So,it will be Navantia with the Juan Carlos?
I like the choice if true.

Last edited:
Finally!!! They came into a decision. And if i'm not wrong, Sedef Shipyards Co. was partnered with NAVANTIA's Juan Carlos LHD. Plus, Sedef Co. had stated that if the ship will be build 10 meters longer than the base Juan Carlos model, they would think about missile integration to the ship. I knew that there was sth behind the "+16 option" at our Lightning II orders. Because now it's clear that they'll be F-35B. This is really good news. Can someone open a thread for it please...it's really worth it.

@Penguin you might want to hear that news

So,it will be Navantia with the Jan Carlos?
I like the choice if true.

Juan Carlos....

juan_carlos_sedef.jpg

ucak_gemisi_3.jpg

ucak_gemisi_1.jpg

Italian beauty Carlo Bergamini Fremm, which have similar displacement and fire-power specifications with planned TF-2000 on a stealth body excluding an equivalent of non-rotating 360 degree Active Phased Array Radar solution of Aselsan called CAFRAD.

Nave_Bergamini_3.JPG

Last edited:
Finally!!! They came into a decision. And if i'm not wrong, Sedef Shipyards Co. was partnered with NAVANTIA's Juan Carlos LHD. Plus, Sedef Co. had stated that if the ship will be build 10 meters longer than the base Juan Carlos model, they would think about missile integration to the ship. I knew that there was sth behind the "+16 option" at our Lightning II orders. Because now it's clear that they'll be F-35B. This is really good news. Can someone open a thread for it please...it's really worth it.

@Penguin you might want to hear that news
Savunma Sanayii Müsteşarlığı

Sedef & Navantia win Turkish LPD Tender
The winner is Sedef shipyard, Turkey, which offers Juan Carlos LHD in collaboration with Navantia. 1 LHD, together with 4 Landing Craft Mechanics (LCM), 2 (two) Landing Craft Personnel Vehicles (LCVP), 1 Commander Boat and 1 RHIB (Rubber Hull Inflated Boat) as well as 27 Amphibious Assault Vehicles (AAV) to be acquired. Total cost 1.7 Bln$.

Good choice. But no indication of acquisition of F-35B model just yet...

Turkey’s procurement authorities will reissue an order for the first two F-35 joint strike fighters the country intended to buy but suspended at the beginning of this year.

“We will submit a request to the Defense Industry Executive Committee in December or January to renew our order for the first two aircraft,” Turkey’s top procurement official, Murad Bayar, said.
After the initial purchase of the two jets, Turkey plans to order 100 stealth fighters to replace its F-4 Phantoms and F-16 Fighting Falcons.
Turkey To Reissue F-35 Order | Defense News | defensenews.com
See also DEFENSE UPDATE - Turkey to renew F-35 order by mid-January

1.7 billion is a rip off. It costs around 400-500 million normally. Even with those other equipment should be maximum 800-1billion

1.7 billion is a rip off. It costs around 400-500 million normally. Even with those other equipment should be maximum 800-1billion

The original budget for Juan Carlos 1 was €360 million but the ship cost €462 million (US$600 million) in the end. Construction started in May 2005, she was launched 10 March 2008, and was commissioned 30 September 2010.

Next, compare to RAN order of 2 ships.

On 20 June 2007, Minister for Defence Brendan Nelson announced that the A$3 billion contract to build the Canberra class had been awarded to Navantia and Tenix.
Canberra-class landing helicopter dock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The total program budget as of June 2013 is A$ 3,073.5 million, of which A$ 2.39 billion (about 77.8%) has been spent.
Australia’s Canberra Class LHDs

1 A$ = 0.88670 US$
US$ 2,660,100,000 for 2 Canberra class LHD
I ship = US$1.330.050.000

Add in the craft and AAV etc. Remember also:
- Australia got a modified Juan Carlos 1 (+4000 tons).
- Navantia will be responsible for construction of the ships from keel to flightdeck in Spain, after which the hulls are transported to Australia for completion by BAE Systems Australia .

Last edited:
To begin with this, as i am seeing testing base extensions , replacement old systems in Istanbul Technical University, building up (still on design stage) a better Cavitation Tunnel, working on PMM (Planar Motion Mechanism) for maneuvering experiments and some others for Ship Motions Experiment , i can say that TF 2000 will take a time until 2018 for keel to be laid (if design done ambitiously,we may see her in sea trials on 2018) . Now its just conceptual design stage , even CAFRAD havent been achieved to prototype ,it will be hard to develop a design for ship without knowing exact specifications of radar equipment , and since experiments will be done in test basin in ITU that will need to wait until extensions done ( the reason of extensions are seems like TF2000 design).

Probably if TF2000 will have a sonar, it will be a bow mounted but , i heard some studies on bulbous bow mounted sonar it might be signs of another frigate design incoming (who knows maybe a land attack frigate with somen long ranger SOM VLS )

Untill 2018 it seems TF 100 will be designed just after tender of Ada Class is done. But it even seems a group Ada Class will have different specification, i have been heard speechs of hull will be extended. in last 2 or 4 ships (not includes TF 100 portion of project)

For LHD tender, i feel such a sorry that its given to SEDEF shipyard and i cant believe RMK was in last .
If we take a look in office of SEDEF shipyard, you will mostly see some people doing production plans for field. There isnt engineers who knows about designing, so what is use of TOT for SEDEF ,they will just do whatever sent by NAVANTIA without improving ability of their engineer designing a kind of flat topped ship . And if you take a look on RMK,they have people seriously worked on a LHD , and conceptual design was done by them . For further assistance till production they were considering to get consultancy from a foreign company .

And its such a shame , if SEDEF also wins tender of Milgem . Have you guys heard about NAVANTIA designed submarine of spain submerged and couldnt surfaced by itself? Hope it wont be same for our LHD .

Last edited:
First of all a nuclear powered sub is pivotal for our 'triad' so we HAVE to build it and build it to be commissioned by 2022. Pakistan has the expertise in some important areas like hull design and critical sub systems.

Our industrial base will be boosted further when we start producing the new batch of subs we are trying to buy from the PRC. They will also involve TOT of some level. Above that we have been researching the miniture reactor designs for nuclear propulsion for over a decade now and as far as i know, the project is green and progressing.

Anothet critical area that we have made good progress in, is the vertically launched (cold) medium range cruise missile technology. Babur-N is going to be operational on our augostas sooner than many people predict.

Turkey has made great strides in naval engineering as well as in electrical subsystems. I believe if Turkey joins us in a n.sub development, we can get it done faster and better by ~ 2022-25.

You mentioned that Pakistan had expertise in Hull and some other areas, but what do you mean by Hull, is that shape of hull or structural matters?
And if pakistan had those expertises, why havent they designed a warship's hull untill now?
I mean, a Submarine is like reaching nirvana in naval artchitecture , with its special structure, hull design considering acoustics , cavitation, radar/sonar signature and so on. And designing submarine need scientific researchs in universities , as well as engineers expertised in building( its a report i can share, qualified engineer number is most cruicial for designing submarine)

What i mean here isnt incapability of Pakistan, but i mean that , there is no expertise of Design ,but expertise on Nuclear science and missile tech.
Its my desire that Turkey and Pakistan collaborating for modernization of submarines, making a design for future with help of TOT (until 2030-2035 can be achieved) and submarine launched UAV and Attack .For sure these will be done hiddenly.

Back
Top Bottom