What's new

Turkish Naval Programs

TF-2000 hava savunma harbi firkateyninin en önemli sistemi olacak ÇAFRAD radarı TCG Göksu firkateyninin helikopter pistinde ilk deniz teslerine başladı. Yolu açık olsun! #çafrad #aselsan

Translated from Turkish by Microsoft
The most important system of the TF-2000 air defense frigate will be the Çafrad radar TCG Göksu Firkateyni started the First sea test on the helipad. Clear the way! #çafrad #aselsan

DsxpzcjWwAAGsYJ.jpg

Dsxp0b9WoAQ_53y.jpg

Dsxp1RqW0AAc-MR.jpg

Dsxp1gRXgAAupO2.jpg

Wow so big news

look forward to its sea trials

No doubt its core of the TF-2000 programme and all the development hangs on this naval radar

CIWS tests are also in progress and all launch systems on the ship will be domestic.
DsxnqknWoAATOM2.jpg
sorry but ıt uses so much space for only 2x35 gun.
Some parts should be under deck. Rıght now everythıng on deck.

And there ıs a raven on radar too. Bad faıth

Its CIWS and should be compared with similar systems.

In the picture above you can see that the current test system is attached to the deck with a steel construction. This is a test platform built into the ship's deck for evaluation. System's cupola taken from the Korkut , with some minor changes. Some sources said that illumination systems will taken over the CIWS's turret and evaluated on the ship's mast.

In addition, ammunition magazine feed sections will fall below the deck.

sorry but ıt uses so much space for only 2x35 gun.
Some parts should be under deck. Rıght now everythıng on deck.

And there ıs a raven on radar too. Bad faıth

In fact, when scaled from the portable rope drum, we can understand that the gun mount is not that big. I mean compared to the most of the similar systems, it's acceptable and remember that's only a test set up for trials, i believe it'll be much more refined and compact for final installament.

Coming to under deck parts; it depends but, design and installation wise, it's usually a preferrred thing to have a non-deck penetrating system.

Most of all, good thing about it, during trials the system performed almost excellently thanks to it's ammo. It's effectively destroyed the targets at about 2000 meters (not my observations but first hand testimonies from the people participated to trials) while for Phalanx like systems, at that distances, they'll just try to engage the target. So i would say "go Korkut go"...

In fact, when scaled from the portable rope drum, we can understand that the gun mount is not that big. I mean compared to the most of the similar systems, it's acceptable and remember that's only a test set up for trials, i believe it'll be much more refined and compact for final installament.

Coming to under deck parts; it depends but, design and installation wise, it's usually a preferrred thing to have a non-deck penetrating system.

Most of all, good thing about it, during trials the system performed almost excellently thanks to it's ammo. It's effectively destroyed the targets at about 2000 meters (not my observations but first hand testimonies from the people participated to trials) while for Phalanx like systems, at that distances, they'll just try to engage the target. So i would say "go Korkut go"...
Phalanx systems effective range too short,I read an article on naval matters says tree accidents occured during some tests of the system

Phalanx systems effective range too short,I read an article on naval matters says tree accidents occured during some tests of the system

Accidents can happen and actually most of the time they're related with lack of training. So it can be prevented in most cases. See below incidents….

From wiki:

Incidents
Drone exercise accidents
On 10 February 1983, USS Antrim was conducting a live-fire exercise off the East Coast of the United States using the Phalanx against a target drone. Although the drone was successfully engaged at close range, the target debris bounced off the sea surface and struck the ship. This caused significant damage and fire from the drone's residual fuel, which also killed a civilian instructor aboard this ship.[17][18]

On 13 October 1989, USS El Paso was conducting a live-fire exercise off the East Coast of the United States using the Phalanx against a target drone. The drone was successfully engaged, but as the drone fell to the sea, the CIWS re-engaged it as a continued threat to El Paso. Rounds from the Phalanx struck the bridge of USS Iwo Jima, killing one officer and injuring a petty officer.[19]

Iraqi missile attack in 1991 Gulf War
On 25 February 1991, during the first Gulf War, the Phalanx-equipped frigate USS Jarrett was a few miles from the U.S. Navy battleship USS Missouri and the British destroyer HMS Exeter. The ships were thought to be under attack by an Iraqi Silkworm missile (often referred to as the Seersucker), at which time Missouri fired its SRBOC chaff countermeasures. The Phalanx system on Jarrett, operating in its automatic target-acquisition mode, fixed on Missouri's chaff, releasing a burst of rounds. From this burst, four rounds hit Missouri, which was 2–3 miles (3.2–4.8 km) from Jarrett at the time. There were no injuries.[20] No missile had in fact been fired, but the chaff firing was in response to an erroneous "missile firing alert" that was actually an oil well head going up. The Iraqis had been setting the oil wells alight in Kuwait for some days. Exeter had relieved HMS Gloucester in the Northern Persian Gulf a few days before and in the weeks before that, Gloucester had shot down a Silkworm missile aimed at Missouri.

JMSDF mounted Phalanx CIWS
Accidental downing of US aircraft by the Japanese destroyer Yūgiri
On 4 June 1996, a Japanese Phalanx accidentally shot down a US A-6 Intruder from the aircraft carrier USS Independence that was towing a radar target during gunnery exercises about 1,500 miles west of the main Hawaiian island of Oahu. A Phalanx aboard the Asagiri-class destroyer JDS Yūgiri locked onto the Intruder instead of the target or tracked up the tow cable after acquiring the towed-target. Both the pilot and bombardier/navigator ejected safely.[21] A post-accident investigation concluded that Yūgiri's gunnery officer gave the order to fire before the A-6 was out of the CIWS engagement envelope.[22][23

Why target drone debris has caused the accident,because phalanx engagement is too short,korkut systems engagement would be enough for ships safety when it stopped incoming missile,all we have to do is tungsent armoured bullets,short reaction time and wide angle shooting capability,easy reloading ammo etc..so we have a lot of projects needs target drones,we need faster than 400 knot şimşek drone with sea skimming capability,to reduce the cost of the tests but unfortunately there is no news about it from TAI.

Last edited:
an apartment on a ship :)
i just noticed the radar has its own power generator.

Back
Top Bottom