What's new

Turkish Missile Programs

SSM strategy plan telling two strategic naval missile system.

-The first one is about completion of qualification for a missile system having basic attacking capability against primary naval threats.
-The second one is about completion of design process of a missile system having enhanced attacking capability against advanced naval threats.

First one must be Atmaca SSM but don't have any idea about second one but reminds me something like Russian P-800 naval missiles different than Gezgin LACM mission profile.

• Başlıca deniz tehdit unsurlarına karşı temel taarruz yeteneğine sahip füze sisteminin kalifikasyonu tamamlanacaktır
• Gelişmiş deniz tehdit unsurlarına karşı arttırılmış taarruz yeteneğine sahip füze sisteminin ön tasarım aşaması tamamlanacaktır

http://www.ssm.gov.tr/anasayfa/kurumsal/Documents/SSM_STRATEJIK_PLAN_2017-2021.pdf

Can it be ?

First one SOM (already completed qualification tests)
Second one Atmaca (i think, we actually don't know at which stage Atmaca is)

Since SOM can also target Naval vessels. o_O

SOM is the project of Airforce bro and It's primary mission is not to engage naval targets. It is SOM-J that can be used in this profile but SSM strategy page issued SOM-J in a different line of same paragraph so This one SSM page describes as "having capability of enhanced attacking against advanced threats" is totally unknown bro...

SOM is the project of Airforce bro and It's primary mission is not to engage naval targets. It is SOM-J that can be used in this profile but SSM strategy page issued SOM-J in a different line of same paragraph so This one SSM page describes as "having capability of enhanced attacking against advanced threats" is totally unknown bro...
Actually i deleted my post after reading.

Başlıca deniz tehdit unsurlarına karşı temel taarruz yeteneğine sahip füze sisteminin kalifikasyonu tamamlanacaktır

Since SOM is already qualified, it can't be.

I wonder what is the "advanced naval threat"

I have my doubts that SOM-J are able to engage naval targets (expect from coast guard ships). They are to small. SOM should be able to.

Actually i deleted my post after reading.

Başlıca deniz tehdit unsurlarına karşı temel taarruz yeteneğine sahip füze sisteminin kalifikasyonu tamamlanacaktır

Since SOM is already qualified, it can't be.

I wonder what is the "advanced naval threat"

This new missile project reminds me Roketsan ramjet propulsion designed to reach 3,5 Mach speed at 16km altitude.

ramjet-odt.jpg

I have my doubts that SOM-J are able to engage naval targets (expect from coast guard ships). They are to small. SOM should be able to.

SOM don't have any problem to find small targets. Thanks to link system called "Kement", The missile guidance are provided with precision target position updates continuously. This makes SOM family a totally precision strike missile against any type of targets.

Go12b3.gif

This new missile project reminds me Roketsan ramjet propulsion designed to reach 3,5 Mach speed at 16km altitude.

ramjet-odt.jpg

SOM don't have any problem to find small targets. Thanks to link system called "Kement", The missile guidance are provided with precision target position updates continuously. This makes SOM family a totally precision strike missile against any type of targets.

Go12b3.gif

What I mean is, SOM-J has not enough power to destroy a big naval vessel.

Turkish KNOX class Zafer ( submarine hunter FFG) neck brocken at White Tunder Exercise 16-28 May 2016 killed with a 533 mm DM2A4 torpedo ;
would have been better to test before SOM, AKYA , Harpoon and others on it.

Thanks to catfish and soufa

3.jpg

Last edited:
Harpoon warhead: 221kg
SOM warhead: 230kg

SOM-A: High Explosive
SOM-B1: High Explosive
SOM-B2: Dual-stage penetrator
SOM-J: Semi-armour piercing type with blast
som j war head will be smaller than som a b variants,but we can assume its enough to any ship out of war,thats the point not to sink all the time

Anti-ship missiles don't need to sink their opponent's. They just need to damage them enough to make them out of commision. And warheads differ, a lot. Their design, their building materials and the chemistry of explosives it uses vary from missile to missile. I am no expert on the issue, but it seems to me that judging a missile only by how big their warhead is rather wrong.

I have no idea how SOM-J will be though, I am just brainstorming. NSM has 125 kg of warhead, so that might give an idea.

Back
Top Bottom