What's new

Turkish Land Vehicle Programs

First BMC VURAN + Aselsan 120 mm automatic mortar system (Alkar) vehicles have been delivered.
New%20folder%20(7)%2Fyenisungu-3.jpg

https://www.aa.com.tr/tr/turkiye/mehmetcikin-yeni-sungusu-goreve-hazir/1380572
Too bad we still dont have GPS guidance for artilery rounds.

So the Leopard 2A4 modernization will be under BMC's lead. Anyone knows about some time schedule? Does that means that we will have to wait for the Karasu factory to be finished in order for the project to be commenced? Or maybe they will do it in the Tank Palet factory? It would be good if we sort that issue as fast as possible.

Also it is said that the Roketsan's armor solution will be officially ready in the beginning of this year so it will be ready for the final configuration of the M60A3M/M60A3M2 modernization packages.

The M60A3M/M60A3M2 modernization will be 40 and optional 40. According to Yusuf Akbaba the configurations of the first 40 would be 4 M60A3M and 36 M60A3M2.

Last edited:
How many modernized m60s except Sabra's Turkish Army have? Currently 40?
https://www.defensenews.com/land/2017/01/31/turkey-launches-500-million-tank-upgrade-contest/

Modernization of 200 tanks will cost 500 millions. 2.5 million per tank sounds expensive on the otherhand if they fulfitted the role of tanks which cost 10 millions, why wouldn't spend.
I am not sure if the batch of 40 M60A3M tanks are delivered. I was reading somewhere but not sure if Turan Oguz or Yusuf Akbaba that the first configuration had to use Ukrainian armor then they put a Roketsan armor but the results were not good so they gave time to Roketsan to fix the problems and meet the requirements and its logical as the Aselsan representative from the video said that Roketsan armor is expected to be ready in the beginning of this year.

We have a prototype of M60A3M but I don't remember reading that deliveries commenced. Maybe they are waiting for the improved M60A3M2 configuration with the improved Roketsan armor and also maybe other fixes because as we know the whole project was started very fast as urgent need and maybe they could have come with a better solutions which will implement in M2. Knowing how our industry works and I mean the Atak project with the first EDH and then B variants, Hurkus with A and then B and then Anka again A and B it is logical that maybe they implemented it to the tank in the same way

I think it is good decision that we commenced the upgrade project. With the dynamics of our region I don't think we have the luxury to wait for Altay in order to form a decent tank fleet which would meet the requirements for the asymmetrical threats which are coming from Syria and Iraq. During the Olive Branch operation it was understood how important and useful the upgrade package is for the soldiers. It is not cheap but it turned out to be urgent necessity.

Turkey should equip/modernize some Sabra's with APS and and all Leopard2A4 to Leopard2A6/A7 level.

Modernizing M60A3 makes no sense for the long term.

The Sabra's are already upgraded with Aselsan Pulat APS. The Leopard2A4's are currently part of the modernization efforts. The M60A3's upgrade doesnt make much sense until you realize that the producation of Altay is still a year or two away, and the production capacity/rate would mean that we will still be using our M60s for roughly a decade to come.

it seems we are keeping 105 mm for M60A3M2 (and almost certainly the old engine as well) and Yusuf Akbaba stated that the army desires to have 105 mm in its inventory as well so obviously now we have a dedicated tank for asymmetric warfare.

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom