What's new

Turkish Land Vehicle Programs

Been thinking about this new project and can't understand why instead of focusing on delivering critical parts and becoming masters of their sectors they make a 4x4 and land based platforms, for what exactly?

Been thinking about this new project and can't understand why instead of focusing on delivering critical parts and becoming masters of their sectors they make a 4x4 and land based platforms, for what exactly?

money... and market share in a booming def sector...

money... and market share in a booming def sector...

How big is your market share going to be if everyone is going after the same contracts? That sector is not going to be booming but shrinking.

Otokar and FNSS can get foreign sales because they're big and have smart guys behind them. BMC gets 'foreign' sales to it's own owner (Qatar) and manages to sell to Tunisia (same with Nurol) probably solely because of domestic orders.

How big is your market share going to be if everyone is going after the same contracts? That sector is not going to be booming but shrinking.

Otokar and FNSS can get foreign sales because they're big and have smart guys behind them. BMC gets 'foreign' sales to it's own owner (Qatar) and manages to sell to Tunisia (same with Nurol) probably solely because of domestic orders.

I don't share your opinion regarding the size of the market but in general you are absolutely right, bro. Why is a heavily subsidized company like TÜMOSAN investing money in projects which are practically useless for the country? We already have many private companies doing a great job in designing and producing armored vehicles.

This news made me really angry. A sheer waste of resources. This is a general problem of our defense sector. We don't have a clear division of responsibilities among the large group of state companies and between those state companies and the private sector. Billions of Lira are going down the drain because of wrong/careless planing.

We need reforms.

Last edited:
I liked Tümüsan before the Altay engine crisis. After Altay engine crisis, i started to question about company.

But right now they are showing their own armored vehicle family with their own engine and transmission :P Rignt now i fell in love with them.

They have a crucial advantage bro, engines:)

Almost %100 domestic (video)

http://m.yenisafak.com/ekonomi/tumosandan-4x4-zirhli-arac-2652662

I am really proud of this institute...
They are revealing national engines from 130 to 1000hp along with their transmissions...

Translation: Turkish 4cyl diesel engine, automatic transmission, power train, suspension, and electronics. Tumosan says it has 30% better fuel efficiency than similar engines.

I don't share your opinion regarding the size of the market but in general you are absolutely right, bro. Why is a heavily subsidized company like TÜMOSAN investing money in projects which are practically useless for the country? We already have many private companies doing a great job in designing and producing armored vehicles.

This news made me really angry. A sheer waste of resources. This is a general problem of our defense sector. We don't have a clear division of responsibilities among the large group of state companies and between those state companies and the private sector. Billions of Lira are going down the drain because of wrong/careless planing.

We need reforms.

I can't remember the source now but just recently I read about this exact reform being in the works. A new company is being formed to cooordinate all the different sectors and companies and avoid duplication and waste of resources.

C_DTZRyXYAA8gSn.jpg

Translation: Turkish 4cyl diesel engine, automatic transmission, power train, suspension, and electronics. Tumosan says it has 30% better fuel efficiency than similar engines.

I can't remember the source now but just recently I read about this exact reform being in the works. A new company is being formed to cooordinate all the different sectors and companies and avoid duplication and waste of resources.

New Company of SSM - http://sstek.com.tr/

That's the best engine sound I have ever heart... :cheers:

We need reforms.

On the contrary, it is excellent news. They were all asleep, deeply (Otokar, FNSS, BMC etc…).

Now they're going to wake up. To survive against TUMOSAN they will have to invest substantially in R&D on the most critical and complex element of land vehicles: the engine. Or make alliances to work sharing between them. Otherwise they will simply be sold (this is not the worst of destinies) or just die (they will do absolutely everything to avoid it).

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/turk...update-discussion.300889/page-32#post-9446520

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/turk...update-discussion.300889/page-32#post-9446682

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/turk...update-discussion.300889/page-32#post-9447722

Last edited:
just got news from PT PINDAD lead engineer who involved in collaborration project of MMWT, the vehicles will be for Indonesian armed forces only for now as there is no existing interest from the Turkish Armed Forces to acquire such vehicles

Back
Top Bottom