What's new

Turkish Industry, Science and Technology

The problem with 3D printing is that metal powder is being used to form the shame and later being ''backed'' in the oven, the strenght of material might be a problem, smaller engines might be possible but larger engines will still be a problem.

By the time 3D printers will improve for sure...

By the time 3D printers will improve for sure...
Its not the printer thats the problem but the method itself, the fan blades would be produced with metal powder thats being baked to melt it together, it would never have the same characteristics as cast fan blades.

Think of as the difference between forges and cast metal, booth are quite different but im not an expert on the issue so thats just what i think.

Its not the printer thats the problem but the method itself, the fan blades would be produced with metal powder thats being baked to melt it together, it would never have the same characteristics as cast fan blades.

Think of as the difference between forges and cast metal, booth are quite different but im not an expert on the issue so thats just what i think.

Here is the video of that news...

Video Galerisi - Anadolu Ajansı

Powder metallurgy.... a part that has been produced with powder metallurgy will have the %60 strength of the same part that has been produced by casting.

Not to mention fan blades&vanes are being produced (only way) by some sort of special casting to obtain single crystal form....

Powder metallurgy.... a part that has been produced with powder metallurgy will have the %60 strength of the same part that has been produced by casting.

Not to mention fan blades&vanes are being produced (only way) by some sort of special casting to obtain single crystal form....

Is it not possible to strengthen powdered metal like castings are via heat treatment?

Is it not possible to strengthen powdered metal like castings are via heat treatment?
You produce the part in the ovens which heats and applies pressure at the same part. And yes you do heat treatment afterwards, still you can't achieve the same (çekme/kesme) dayanımı with the same part that has been made by casting.

If you have seen the the YAKUT project video they are only printing the combustion chamber with this process as the first application of the method. Combustion chamber is not as critical as the power turbine of a turbine engine so no problem with that. Even the power turbine can probably be made as a poorer quality multicrystal metal structure for smaller engines which doesn't really run at very high teperatures like larger turbines.

Thats what i thought, you will never have the same strenght with a powder structure thats being melted together as the fully melted metal that being cast in its final form.

Thats what i thought, you will never have the same strenght with a powder structure thats being melted together as the fully melted metal that being cast in its final form.

I wouldn't say never. Due to the benefits of the laser sintering I believe they will improve the process further. If it can be combined with some post processing to remove extra material and improve surface quality with methods like spark erosion or possibly corona treatment like methods they may achieve bettter results someday, but not just yet.

Türkiye's First Infrared Camera Developed with TUBİTAK Support

Türkiye’nin İlk Kızılötesi Kamerası TÜBİTAK Desteğiyle Geliştirildi | TÜRKİYE BİLİMSEL ve TEKNOLOJİK ARAŞTIRMA KURUMU

1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom