What's new

Turkish engineers experiment with plasma propulsion (aircraft)

this scenario makes sense as well. now the question is how they are going to make the air close to wings convert to plasma state? I think we need to know the technical details to answer this question. But, I am sure it is not easy to do at all. :-)

I remember reading a paper years back, where they mentioned about reducing drag in an aircraft by creating a layer of plasma in front of the aircraft with high energy microwave, hence increasing range and speed of aircraft. I believe in this method too, they will have microwave generator along the aircraft wing leading edge.

There are even indications that plasmas might influence airflow at subsonic speeds. If that were the case, tiny plasma generators could replace control surfaces such as ailerons and flaps. Planes of the future might not need any moving control surfaces at all. There's no doubt about it: plasma is the height of fashion in aerospace research.

A very fine read, if you will.

Will Plasma Revolutionize Aircraft Design

I remember reading a paper years back, where they mentioned about reducing drag in an aircraft by creating a layer of plasma in front of the aircraft with high energy microwave, hence increasing range and speed of aircraft. I believe in this method too, they will have microwave generator along the aircraft wing leading edge.

A very fine read, if you will.

Will Plasma Revolutionize Aircraft Design

Thanks, it is an interesting article. @Sinan you may be interested in reading it as well.
Actually this mechanism introduced in the beginning of the article, is injecting few ions to have less amount of drag. I think, We can turn the aircraft as well, if we reduce the drag only for one the wings. This is the scenario number 1 that came into my mind. The scenario number 2 is that they try to make the whole air in one side of wings ionized and convert it to plasma and then create a lift, based on the difference in air pressure. Anyway, I still have one question. how we are going to provide the electricity for a plane to fly with these mechanisms for a long time? @atatwolf said that they can do it "With chemical reactions to form electric fields to form the air(I guess he meant plasma)", then We may suppose that we don't need that much electricity, if that's the case. But, still I am confused about what they are going to do, and they want to implement which one of these scenarios.

I wait for the first flight videos before speculating, i dont wanna get too excited over some news, 30. August isnt far away so lets wait and drink tee.

The title and article is misleading, these works are carried out in Berlin and the only Turk that is mentioned was a project manager for a previous project which involved Ionic-Plasma propulsion.

From the video;
http://www.festo.com/rep/en_corp/assets/pdf/b_IONIC_Airfish_en.pdf

It's an excellent achievement for Germany and having someone of Turkish descent leading the company is great.

The title and article is misleading, these works are carried out in Berlin and the only Turk that is mentioned was a project manager for a previous project which involved Ionic-Plasma propulsion.

From the video;
http://www.festo.com/rep/en_corp/assets/pdf/b_IONIC_Airfish_en.pdf

It's an excellent achievement for Germany and having someone of Turkish descent leading the company is great.

Now you are misleading.

b-IONIC Airfish -> Festo AG & Co. KG

Plasma Flyer -> Electrofluid Systems
http://www.electrofluidsystems.com/CV-Goeksel.pdf

I hope you are referring to Iran - the country that makes a fool of itself by producing gems like Qaher 313 :lol:

The Qaher-313 incorporates the electro-ionic technologies too, so what is your point?

Electrically powered spacecraft propulsion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is article shows about how plasma is used in spacecraft ,its a good exampla since all plasma works in same way. btw So far i remember about plasma ,its mentioned be ionized particles, can be achived by high temperatures, voltage or currents.

i am more curious about how to they supply enough electricity ?

The Qaher-313 incorporates the electro-ionic technologies too, so what is your point?
Exactly it does , we have no doubt about it :rolleyes1: :closed:

Electrically powered spacecraft propulsion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is article shows about how plasma is used in spacecraft ,its a good exampla since all plasma works in same way. btw So far i remember about plasma ,its mentioned be ionized particles, can be achived by high temperatures, voltage or currents.

i am more curious about how to they supply enough electricity ?

Exactly it does , we have no doubt about it :rolleyes1: :closed:

Mate, you know P =IxV
P = Power (Watt)
I = Current (aphere)
V = Voltage (volt)

A mere hand teaser can generate 50000 volts but it's low on Current, so it doesn't use much electrical power. Maybe this is a similar case that these stripes doesn't use much current but high on voltage (12000 volts) so it will not need huge amount of electrical supply. It would be a piece of cake to generate that energy with an alternator coupled to the engine of the UAV)

By the way "Elektrofluidsysteme" said that they are going to upload the footage of first flight which is planed at 30 August.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mate, you know P =IxV
P = Power (Watt)
I = Current (aphere)
V = Voltage (volt)

A mere hand teaser can generate 50000 volts but it's low on Current, so it doesn't use much electrical power. Maybe this is a similar case that these stripes doesn't use much current but high on voltage (12000 volts) so it will not need huge amount of electrical supply. It would be a piece of cake to generate that energy with an alternator coupled to the engine of the UAV)

By the way "Elektrofluidsysteme" said that they are going to upload the footage of first flight which is planed at 30 August.

Electro-plasma drive already produces a low thrust compared to propellant drive systems due to lack of electric supply ,and i think it will require enough large accumulators because of required high voltage. if it wasnt so, we would have seen some ion chargers on jets instead of turbines used for thrust, or for control surfaces.

btw P = V I also;
V= I R :) or vice versa , results in ; P = V^2 /R . if we consider that current is dependent on system, but Voltage is dependent on source (Accumulator)

Electro-plasma drive already produces a low thrust compared to propellant drive systems due to lack of electric supply ,and i think it will require enough large accumulators because of required high voltage. if it wasnt so, we would have seen some ion chargers on jets instead of turbines used for thrust, or for control surfaces.
Creating thrust with plasma in a propellant drive is a different issue. In this system there are no thrust generating device. Just some stripes resonating and thats all.

btw P = V I also;
V= I R :) or vice versa , results in ; P = V^2 /R . if we consider that current is dependent on system, but Voltage is dependent on source (Accumulator)

Yeap, only if overall resistance of the system is high, it will requiere more current resuting more power. But I don't think this stripe's resistance is high. After all we are going to see a flying prototype in 2 months.

Creating thrust with plasma in a propellant drive is a different issue. In this system there are no thrust generating device. Just some stripes resonating and thats all.
Do they still use Plasma generators ? then its same issue with thrust generator, just this time system doesnt use plasma generators for propellant, but uses for an external source .

Yeap, only if overall resistance of the system is high, it will requiere more current resuting more power. But I don't think this stripe's resistance is high. After all we are going to see a flying prototype in 2 months.
the formula is basic, and its about system's required current rather than system's resistance ,,its Square of voltage divided by resistance . so as resistance high , the power is lower somehow with constant supply of voltage. (valid only for linear circuits )

i have no idea which systems they use, electric field generator or mixed with magnetic field generator for plasma ?

Do they still use Plasma generators ? then its same issue with thrust generator, just this time system doesnt use plasma generators for propellant, but uses for an external source .

the formula is basic, and its about system's required current rather than system's resistance ,,its Square of voltage divided by resistance . so as resistance high , the power is lower somehow with constant supply of voltage. (valid only for linear circuits )

i have no idea which systems they use, electric field generator or mixed with magnetic field generator for plasma ?

Mate, did you watched the video ?

@isoo @Sinan

Sorry guys... You are all wrong...

hasenohrl1.jpg

:coffee:

Back
Top Bottom