What's new

Turkish domestic SUV will be unveiled in next Friday

People are blind nowadays. They don't see the really important things in life. Perhaps they don't want to see them.

This project is more important for our future than Syria and Libya put together.

For the first time since the invention of the automobile we have a serious chance to catch up with Western and Eastern car makers.

If they manage to handle this project correctly, this could be the path to leave the middle income trap behind us. There's a good chance that we could initiate a second wave of industrialization afterthe first one between 2003 - 2009.

Words can't describe how important this project is. We have full access to the European market. Don't forget this. If this works out, we're gonna have a totally new industry and its eco system in Turkey.

Let's hope it wouldn't cost a kidney to buy it...
Could have been interesting to present a line with an engine as an alternative...
Why an SUV? starting with a sedan design wouldn't have been wiser? will be cheaper and therefore more widely adopted...

It's nice to offer an Electric vehicle... but who will take care of creating the charging network? will it be nationwide available before production happen? how long will it take to achieve?

We lost the train at internal combustion engines at civilian car sector. It is quite difficult to catch the cost effectivity standarts of European engines because the most critical technologies making engines superior, subjects to licence rights of advanced states so Turkey develops those engines for military vehicles but aiming to catch the civilian car technology with national battery and electric motor tech investments.

At present, Vestel (One of the partner of TOGG investment group) invests a giant battery manufacturing plant worth 4,6 billion $ having a capacity of 25GW. They are going to have a capacity for producing the batteries for 500,000 cars annually. The factory will start serial production in similar time scale with the national cars in 2023.
upload_2019-12-25_22-31-56.jpeg

The electric motors of Aselsan is advanced and cost effective to power up many different platforms.

Electric cars are the future and Turkey is serious to take pay of the cake this giant market offers.

We lost the train at internal combustion engines at civilian car sector. It is quite difficult to catch the cost effectivity standarts of European engines because the most critical technologies making engines superior, subjects to licence rights of advanced states so Turkey develops those engines for military vehicles but aiming to catch the civilian car technology with national battery and electric motor tech investments.

At present, Vestel (One of the partner of TOGG investment group) invests a giant battery manufacturing plant worth 4,6 billion $ having a capacity of 25GW. They are going to have a capacity for producing the batteries for 500,000 cars annually. The factory will start serial production in similar time scale with the national cars in 2023.
View attachment 595576

The electric motors of Aselsan is advanced and cost effective to power up many different platforms.

Electric cars are the future and Turkey is serious to take pay of the cake this giant market offers.

What about the charging network? or is it mostly targeted for export/foreign markets?

What about the charging network? or is it mostly targeted for export/foreign markets?

One of the main objectives of the project covers the establishment of charging stations throughout the country by 2022. In this part of the project, Vestel is responsible for technology development. http://www.vestelprojeortagim.com.tr/detay/urun/ayakli-modeller

In addition, there are already a significant number of fast charging stations in major cities. To give an example of quality service and fast growing organizations, I can show Esarj. https://esarj.com But intercity trips need to be planned very carefully. :D Do not forget that Turkey is a serious consumer in this segment.

Last edited:
These cars aren't developed for the international market which is important to point out. This project aims for the domestic market in its first stage.

The Turkish automobile market is now big enough to support such a project but I suppose that the cars won't be cheap but then again cars are usually very expensive in Turkey even compared to Western Europe.

These cars aren't built for the international market which is important to point out. This project aims for the domestic market in its first stage.

The Turkish automobile market is now big enough to support such a project but I suppose that the cars won't be cheap but then again cars are usually very expensive even compared to Western Europe.

I would disagree with you on that. I have seen several direct statements outlining a desire to sell the SUV and sedan in Europe and elsewhere.

I do also believe this is the right approach. There is an EV demand, which the European carmakers cannot fulfil. TOGG could move in and establish itself as a brand. In addition, there is a large Turkish and Muslim population in Europe which most likely will consider TOGG.

They clearly state their global ambitions on their webpage.

https://www.togg.com.tr/content/discover

I see a 22kw charging deck? is that what they will use for a Nationwide network?
This problem is a very complex and also related to national energy network. My guess is that current installation of fast charging stations is just 5% or less of the 10-to-20 years later demand. And add this to hundreds of thousands of vehicles that will use the normal charging procedure.This issue requires not only battery production but also industrial planning that can provide sustainable energy supply.

Different ministries are involving directly or indirectly to this transformation. I have just watched the news: According to a law passed these days, residential dwellers will be able to provide additional income by adding renewable energy to the electricity grid, besides saving electricity bill. Numerous legal regulations like this or industrial investment planning are actually a bit related to these issues.

I would disagree with you on that. I have seen several direct statements outlining a desire to sell the SUV and sedan in Europe and elsewhere.

I do also believe this is the right approach. There is an EV demand, which the European carmakers cannot fulfil. TOGG could move in and establish itself as a brand. In addition, there is a large Turkish and Muslim population in Europe which most likely will consider TOGG.
As I said before, in its first stage TOGG aims for domestic customers which is a rational and effective approach. Similar to what the Chinese are doing.

Google translate and read this German interview with Alper Kanca: https://www.manager-magazin.de/unte...-alper-kanca-und-das-erdo-auto-a-1260961.html

He's the president of TAYSAD - Association of Automotive Parts and Components Manufacturers in Turkey.

I see a 22kw charging deck? is that what they will use for a Nationwide network?

Could you elaborate on the problem (if any) with 22kw?

As I said before, in its first stage TOGG aims for domestic customers which is a rational and effective approach. Similar to what the Chinese are doing.

Google translate and read this German interview with Alper Kanca: https://www.manager-magazin.de/unte...-alper-kanca-und-das-erdo-auto-a-1260961.html

He's the president of TAYSAD - Association of Automotive Parts and Components Manufacturers in Turkey.

A pity if you are right. I was just about to get excited about purchasing the SUV in 2022.

This problem is a very complex and also related to national energy network. My guess is that current installation of fast charging stations is just 5% or less of the 10-to-20 years later demand. And add this to hundreds of thousands of vehicles that will use the normal charging procedure.This issue requires not only battery production but also industrial planning that can provide sustainable energy supply.

Different ministries are involving directly or indirectly to this transformation. I have just watched the news: According to a law passed these days, residential dwellers will be able to provide additional income by adding renewable energy to the electricity grid, besides saving electricity bill. Numerous legal regulations like this or industrial investment planning are actually a bit related to these issues.

So this project is a risky bet...
That could be problematic if the ones involved aren't willing to "Create" fast/good enough network for such product.
If we take Tesla per example where they understood that an electric vehicle could never be seen as a viable product IF the network that support it isn't good and widely available.
I remember Tesla main secondary objective that was showing in their product reveal was mostly "Charging related issues" Like the Swapping battery... but nowadays thanks to Tesla Superchargers people are more accepting such product, let alone the price and the goodies in it.

What I'm talking about is the transformation in the local electricity grid. This problem is not only with Turkey, there is also a similar effort in Europe. Battery technologies are the other part.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom