What's new

Turkey's GDP up by 8.2

cabatli_53

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Turkey's statistics authority TurkStat said the country's gross domestic product increased by 8.2 percent on fixed prices in the third quarter this year.

Current account deficit reached $65 billion between January and October 2011.

MACRO - Turkey's GDP up by 8.2

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 PM ----------

Q3 economic growth at 8.2 pct as CAD dips to $4.2 bln in October

Turks woke up to a bright morning on Monday as official figures suggested their country's economy continued the strong growth it attained following the global financial crisis in the third quarter of this year, coupled with a smaller current account deficit (CAD) in October compared to a month earlier.
According to the Turkish Statistics Institute (TurkStat), Turkey's gross domestic product (GDP) expanded by 8.2 percent in the July-September period, marking the eighth quarter in a row the country's economy has grown. “That much expansion made us the second fastest growing economy worldwide, after China, in the third quarter. We expect our economy to grow no less than 4 percent next year,” said Industry, Science and Technology Minister Nihat Ergün, speaking on a program broadcast by a private TV station shortly after the announcement was made.

With this latest announcement, the country's economic growth rate for the first three quarters of this year was ascertained at 9.6 percent. The minister also said all outsider observers may have to revise their economic growth forecasts for Turkey for 2012 as the country's GDP continues to exhibit a speedy growth performance with most experts downplaying the possibility of a hard landing. The International Monetary Fund (IMF) estimates that the Turkish economy will grow by 2 percent next year.

“We, on the other hand, see a 4 percent economic growth rate in our medium-term economic growth. This is, I must say, a very prudential estimate, but there are dynamics within the Turkish economy that refute simple math, such as two times two equals to four. This is what leads the Turkish economy to grow at levels beyond expectations,” Ergün noted.

Adding to the joy was a statement released by the Central Bank of Turkey on the country's balance of payments figures. According to that statement, Turkey's CAD was at $4.2 billion in October, nearly 35 percent lower than what it had in September.

I was just wondering because i dont know of your economy.

agriculture, industry are still the main sectors that contribute to the export sector, not so much services though, agriculture has lost ground the last couple of years and industry has gone up. now if only the farmers would industrialize their techniques we'd be set :)

I think EU is 50+% of our market, and even though EU is in crises the products from Turkey are cheaper than their counterparts in EU, but still good quality, so I don't see the export to EU diminish too much. Germany is in the lead with some 10% I think followed by France, UK. I am pretty sure that Turkey is trying to diversify their market a bit, by improving export to ME, Africa, Asia we might manage to get a good balance in things.

of course I hope the EU crises won't effect us too badly. But in an industrialized country you counterbalance economic crises with mad production.

who do you export to? i hope EU is not important to your economy.

I think EU is important market for Turkey.
Also for other muslim dominated countries Turkey is example.

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

I think EU is 50+% of our market, and even though EU is in crises the products from Turkey are cheaper than their counterparts in EU, but still good quality, so I don't see the export to EU diminish too much. Germany is in the lead with some 10% I think followed by France, UK. I am pretty sure that Turkey is trying to diversify their market a bit, by improving export to ME, Africa, Asia we might manage to get a good balance in things.

of course I hope the EU crises won't effect us too badly. But in an industrialized country you counterbalance economic crises with mad production.

BTW what are the main products that turkey manufacture.

textile, clothing, and I think we have some Iron and steel as well, but don't know how much. um.. tourism, aprox 20 billion I think.

Electronics (from fridges to TVs), Textiles, Automotive sector and tourism.

agriculture, industry are still the main sectors that contribute to the export sector, not so much services though, agriculture has lost ground the last couple of years and industry has gone up. now if only the farmers would industrialize their techniques we'd be set :)

Absolutely true, but it is difficult in Turkey since we have many small farmers, instead of few big ones. That is also why meat and milk is so damn expensive in Turkey. We should make quotas so that only farmers who has 200+ cows or similar can receive money from the government.

Absolutely true, but it is difficult in Turkey since we have many small farmers, instead of few big ones. That is also why meat and milk is so damn expensive in Turkey. We should make quotas so that only farmers who has 200+ cows or similar can receive money from the government.

how many farmers is it that has that much?

I was just wondering because i dont know of your economy.

Hello poseidon, I tried to post two links for your question but defence.pk did not le me because I haven't had 5 posts to post links. You can reach these page by searching Economy of Turkey. Although wikipedia is not the most reliable source on the web, it might give you a quick idea about the economy of Turkey. :)

Some important notes from these pages can be listed as:

The country is among the world's leading producers of agricultural products; textiles; motor vehicles, ships and other transportation equipment; construction materials; consumer electronics and home appliances. In recent years, Turkey had a rapidly growing private sector, yet the state still plays a major role in industry, banking, transport, and communications.

Statistics:
----------
GDP: $735 Billion (Nominal) (2010), $1.116 Trillion(PPP) (2010)
GDP growth: +9.0 % (2010)
GDP per capita: $10.106[5] (Nominal) (2010), $15.340 (PPP) (2010)
GDP by sector: agriculture 9.4%; industry 25.9%; services 64.7% (2009 est.)
Inflation (CPI): 3.99% (March 2011)
Gini index: 41 (2008)
Labour force: 25.3 million (2009 est.)
Labour force by occupation: agriculture 29.5%, industry 24.7%, services 45.8% (2005)
Unemployment: 9%[9] (April 2011)
Main industries: textiles, food processing, autos, electronics, tourism mining (coal, chromate, copper, boron), steel, petroleum, construction, lumber, paper

External:
--------
Exports: $143.93 billion (2010)
Export goods: apparel, foodstuffs, textiles, metal manufactures, transport equipment
Main export partners: Germany 9.6%, France 6.1%, U.K. 5.8%, Italy 5.8%, Iraq 5% (2009 est.)
Imports: $235.49 billion (2010)
Import goods: machinery, chemicals, semi-finished goods, fuels, transport equipment
Main import partners: Russia 14%, Germany 10%, China 9%, U.S. 6.1%, Italy 5.4%, France 5% (2009 est.)

Back
Top Bottom