What's new

Turkey To Return 3 Aerostar UAVs to Israel

Xestan

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Turkey To Return 3 Aerostar UAVs to Israel

ANKARA — Turkey’s military plans to return three tactical UAVs to Israel due to the vehicles’ poor performance against the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK), Turkey’s worst enemy.

The UAVs, called Aerostars, are built by Aeronautics, an Israeli company.

“The contract is at a stage of cancellation,” one procurement official said, adding that the UAVs will be returned.

Turkish officials did not specify the performance problems with the UAVs.

Israel became one of Turkey’s top arms suppliers in the mid-1990s. But after the well-publicized delivery of 10 Heron UAVs in 2010, Turkey reduced diplomatic ties with Israel after commandos from the Jewish state killed nine Turks aboard a ship trying to break an embargo on the Palestinian Gaza Strip. Turkey also canceled several drills with Israel’s military.

The Turkish press misreported that the UAVs that were returned to Israel were Herons, which are medium-altitude, long-endurance (MALE) UAVs.

The production of Herons for Turkey, in fact, was delayed, prompting the country’s government to lease the three Aerostars in 2007 for nearly $10 million.

Aerostars are tactical UAVs, designed to fill the gap between short-range UAVs and MALE UAVs, and are smaller than Herons. Turkey later purchased the three Aerostars outright for $30 million as a stop-gap solution until it received the Herons. All 10 Herons were delivered to Turkey by 2010.

The UAVs are mainly used for reconnaissance, surveillance and intelligence purposes, and in some cases as offensive weapons.

One Heron crash-landed during a mission over southeastern Turkey, where the separatist PKK operates, this year. The aircraft is being repaired and will be used again, officials said. Turkey bought only two ground control devices, and a maximum of two Herons can be operated at any given time.

Aeronautics officials did not comment on the Aerostar issue.

An Israeli diplomat here, Nizar Amir, said he had not heard about the Turkish position. “We have not been informed by Turkish authorities,” he said about the Aerostar problem.

Three years ago, Turkey asked the U.S. to provide two MQ-9 Reaper armed UAVs and four MQ-1 Predator UAVs. But it has received no response, although some U.S. administration officials have said they support a sale.

The U.S. has sold the Reaper only to its closest ally, Britain.

Under an agreement signed in 2007, the U.S. provides electronic information to the Turkish military regarding the actions of the PKK in its hideouts in northern Iraq.

After the U.S. military withdrew from Iraq last year, it moved four Predators tasked with the PKK surveillance job to Turkey’s southern allied air base of Incirlik.

Meanwhile, Turkey’s own efforts to build a MALE UAV are faltering. The UAV is called Anka, and it is being built by Turkish Aerospace Industries (TAI). One Anka prototype crashed this month, but TAI officials said testing will continue, adding that the UAV has had more than 100 successful flights.

Turkey To Return 3 Aerostar UAVs to Israel | Defense News | defensenews.com

Maybe we also should switch off the missile defense system that protects israel when iran war starts, since israel is so inactive towards are enemies, we should also be inactive when iran war starts, let them blow each others brains out

Let us return there junk, We already have enough domestic Tactical UAVs.

Maybe we also should switch off the missile defense system that protects israel when iran war starts, since israel is so inactive towards are enemies, we should also be inactive when iran war starts, let them blow each others brains out
not this again... AN TPY-2 radar in Kürecik has nothing to do with Israel, they have their own X-band radars. Information gathered here goes only to NATO HQ

12 Baykar Caldiran Tactical UAV on the way...
up to 22000feet; 12-14hours endurence and up to 45kg payload.

tacticalmans.jpg

6 Vestel Karayel II on the way...
Up to 22000 feet, 70kg payload, up to 20 hour endurance
vesteluav.jpg

Weaponised version of both Caldiran and Karayel to be introduced following years.

Also Caldiran Stealth Tactical UAV on the way.
tacticalv2.jpg

not this again... AN TPY-2 radar in Kürecik has nothing to do with Israel, they have their own X-band radars. Information gathered here goes only to NATO HQ
Well,Nato HQ means mostly,U.S HQ,and I think when U.S have it,then it's most likely that Israel will have it.they won't leave their closest ally in war.

Well,Nato HQ means mostly,U.S HQ,and I think when U.S have it,then it's most likely that Israel will have it.they won't leave their closest ally in war.

Not necessarily, we've got our own officers in that very building where NATO missile shield is managed. We share the control.

This is meant to neutralize Iranian ballistic missile threat to NATO countries. Last time I told iranians to invest in their airforce the response i got was "planes are just toys, they provide no deterrent" I think now we've found out who's smarter :)

Not necessarily, we've got our own officers in that very building where NATO missile shield is managed. We share the control.

This is meant to neutralize Iranian ballistic missile threat to NATO countries. Last time I told iranians to invest in their airforce the response i got was "planes are just toys, they provide no deterrent" I think now we've found out who's smarter :)

I don't think any wise person would say planes are toys.But investing in airforce and making sophisticated jets is not something easy,it will take us at least 10 years to make simething like f-15 or typhoon,if not more,
Missiles are the easier and quicker choice,considering the threat of war Iran is facing.And we are investing in airforce,but don't expect to see anything revolutionary in 1 or 2 years.Making jetfighters is not that easy.

I don't think any wise person would say planes are toys.But investing in airforce and making sophisticated jets is not something easy,it will take us at least 10 years to make simething like f-15 or typhoon,if not more,
Missiles are the easier and quicker choice,considering the threat of war Iran is facing.And we are investing in airforce,but don't expect to see anything revolutionary in 1 or 2 years.Making jetfighters is not that easy.

lol, always trying to re-invent the wheel :) You won't make sophisticated jets, not in 10 years not in 50 because at this rate you are falling behind of the rest of the world, what you make at home will always be inferior.

But at the time i said it, Pakistan-US relations was so bad over drone attacks resulting in Pakistani soldiers' deaths. You could get some let's say 200+ JF17 aircraft and Pakistan could make some much needed money... Perhaps that window is still open.

Iran's fate ultimately lies with the Chinese bloc, they sell china whatever oil they produce via Pakistan and they get some new equipment to their large yet miserably low-tech and outdated armed forces.

It's a win-win situation, yet we may end up bombing Iran anyway :D

There is a reason why most countries not under sanctions depend mostly on Air Force rather than Missiles you know. Missiles never won a fight for anyone. They are just there for Moral effects at most.

Hitler sent 20,000 Missiles on London, Yet UK came out on top eventually. I hate people who over-estimate missiles capabilities. Either it is Nuclear tipped or any other non-conventional payload on them, or they are good for nothing in a war scenario.

^ Strategic weapons does not effect the tactical situation to put it simple.

Regarding the "sanctions" thingy; Airforces are as defensive as they are offensive. Ballistic missile assets are always offensive.

And for their nature they aren't very selective on targets, depending on warhead they can infect/destroy whole cities which makes them a great terrorists' weapon.

It kinda gives you a bad image. Anyway, we don't prefer ballistic missiles. Don't fear J600T, fear a SAT commando's MP5 9mm :)

There is a reason why most countries not under sanctions depend mostly on Air Force rather than Missiles you know. Missiles never won a fight for anyone. They are just there for Moral effects at most.

Hitler sent 20,000 Missiles on London, Yet UK came out on top eventually. I hate people who over-estimate missiles capabilities. Either it is Nuclear tipped or any other non-conventional payload on them, or they are good for nothing in a war scenario.
No one is overestimating missile power,they have some good aspects,but certainly they can't win a war unless you use them in mass.
Germany did not fire 20,000 missiles on England,it's a lie.Overall,they used nearly 3000 v1 and v2 rockets on London.V1,alone,had 40% failure in inflicting damages.and if it wasn't for other allies,Hitler could destroy whole UK with his army and missiles.They just got the bomb a bit late,at november 1944.

Anyway,Mosa,when other countries are not selling you anything including aircraft,even civilian ones,let alone fighter aircraft,you have to rely on other capabilities.It's not very hard to give oil money to U.S and Europe and buy jets.We could buy hundreds too,if only they wanted to sell us.

^ BS, Hitler could never do a serious damage to UK, they never had the naval might because of base-type individual operation rather than fleet formations... and luftwaffe was a total liability even with the first jet fighters/bombers of the world.

V2 was a desperate solution, however same scientists that made V2 fueled both Soviets' and US' space programs. But still, as i just told you above, this kind of things never add to your conventional power

British navy could protect the island for a decade and all hitler could do was to fire more missiles, nothing decisive.

Unless they could figure out a way to make a submerged amphibious operation maybe :D lol

^ BS, Hitler could never do a serious damage to UK, they never had the naval might because of base-type individual operation rather than fleet formations... and luftwaffe was a total liability even with the first jet fighters/bombers of the world.

V2 was a desperate solution, however same scientists that made V2 fueled both Soviets' and US' space programs. But still, as i just told you above, this kind of things never add to your conventional power

British navy could protect the island for a decade and all hitler could do was to fire more missiles, nothing decisive.

Unless they could figure out a way to make a submerged amphibious operation maybe :D lol

You should read a bit of history.
Read the battle of Dunkirk,with German's foolish decision to give brits time to rescue more than 250,000 of their forces.If Germans had made those troops surrender,Britain would fall within a month,with no working ground forces,or a desperate navy that was spread all over the world and an airforce who could not even come close to LuftWaffe.Then they wouldn't even need v2 missiles.It had a kill rate of 2 persons per hit,considering the crappy accuracy and warhead.Today,missiles,with their psychological impact and destruction power,may not win a war,but can certainly change its course.indeed,air force too is a vital part of a war.

Back
Top Bottom