What's new

Turkey to design, produce its own fighter jet!

Last Hope

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Turkey to design, produce its own fighter jet

ANKARA: Turkey has tossed aside plans to purchase the Eurofighter Typhoon and is pursuing an ambitious endeavor to design and produce its own fighter jet instead. The decision, announced by Turkish Defense Minister Vecdi Gonul, is seen as not only an industrial move, but one aimed at boosting national pride with its “Made in Turkey” fighter.

“The decision we have taken now calls for the production of a totally national and original aircraft,” Gonul told reporters last week after a meeting of the powerful Defense Industry Executive Committee decided to nix plans to purchase 60 of the latest Typhoon jet fighters. “This move by the committee effectively is a decision for making Turkey’s first fighter aircraft,” Gonul said. “The Eurofighter is off Turkey’s agenda.”

According to reports, the new aircraft would replace the aging US-made F-4, which had been upgraded by Israel to last well into the next decade, as well as newer F-16s. The expected roll out date for Turkey’s twin-engine combat jet would reportedly be about 2023.

Ankara has already announced it plans to procure some 100 of the next-generation F-35s Joint Strike Fighter aircraft in a deal worth about $15 billion. The first JSF jets are expected to be delivered around 2015. According to Defense News, however, Turkey would take the approximately 30 F-16 fighters only as a “stopgap” measure.

The decision to fly solo in developing a fighter jet comes as Turkey distances itself from its North Atlantic Treaty Organization partners in Europe and North America, and seeks closer ties with its Middle Eastern neighbors. In November, Turkey disputed NATO plans for a missile shield against a possible Iranian attack and has objected to the alliance sharing information with Israel.

Turkey assembles the F-16s on contract from Lockheed Martin at a Turkish Aerospace Industries (TAI) plant. The government named state-controlled TAI, based on the outskirts of Ankara, as the general coordinator of the new fighter jet project. The Turkish Defense Industry’s Procurement agency SSM has allotted some $20 million for a two-year conceptual design study.

“It’s a large endeavor. I’m skeptical that they would be able to do the project on their own since Turkey didn’t have the adequate technological know-how,” said one aerospace executive intimately involved with the design and production of the Israeli fighter jet Lavi in the 1980s.

“But it’s not just technological know-how. Developing a fighter jet requires billions and billions of dollars. It’s certainly not the same as assembling an aircraft. It takes a very long time to develop the technology and then you need to have the influx of funding to bring it all together,” the executive, who spoke on condition he not be named, told The Media Line.

Turkish industry officials told The Media Line that the government decision didn’t make sense. Turkey was currently so heavily engaged in joint international aircraft design projects such as the F-35 that it wouldn’t be feasible to embark on such a costly and risky venture, the officials said.

While hardly world class, the Turkish defense industry is growing and modernizing. But it remains dependent on foreign technology. TAI has designed the Hurkus, a basic training aircraft, but it has yet to make its maiden flight. It has also rolled out an unmanned aerial vehicle this year called the ANKA.

“Development is very, very expensive. Israel was a small country without a big defense budget. Even when we had the infrastructure we decided to give up on it because it was just too expensive,” the executive said, adding that any development today would likely be more successful with international partners.

Israel eventually scrapped the Lavi — built to be a competitor with the F-16 –under heavy US pressure and from a lack of funds.

Defense Minister Gonul said Turkey might cooperate with South Korea, which was developing the KF-X fighter jet with Indonesia. However, that project has sputtered due to lack of funding.

Turkey to design, produce its own fighter jet - Arab News

I personally think, that they should stand on their own feet, and boycott other countires ' produced weapons.
They would be less dependent on them, and would develop their R&D.

I would suggest, Pakistan to be their partner in business. :tup:
What say guys?

what about pakistani partner in the twin engine fighter aircraft program.

it will actually boost the timeline atleast to 2018.

I'm really proud of out defence industry and its development day by day but to desing and build a fighter jet is a HUGE deal, a HUGE engineering knowledge is required. I dont mean a reverse engineering thing like China did. I mean a zero to hero situation like Usa and Russia did in past. Objectively at this moment it's gonna overreach us, but with Allah's help and support of nation, step by step i am hoping to overtake that point one day.
At least we have an air tunnel : ))

Yeah but we gotta start from somewhere. We can't keep on relying other nation's for the technology all the time. Good step. It'll be a hard and long process, but it'll be worth it.

Good going Turkey.
Best wishes for the success in your plans.

Yeah but we gotta start from somewhere. We can't keep on relying other nation's for the technology all the time. Good step. It'll be a hard and long process, but it'll be worth it.

I have the greatest admiration for what Turkey has achived with its defence industry but a major project like a modern fighter is a huge expense that any single country would find a burden. You need to be able to sell them off in some volume to other countries to defray the expense.
With the US Russia China and Europe all in the market with years of experience it would be a tough job for the "new guy on the block" to sell its planes.
Though i wish them the best i cant help wondering if the expense is worth it.

As for
one aimed at boosting national pride with its “Made in Turkey” fighter
lol Turkey has plenty to be proud of it doesnt need an expensive toy for that.

I'm really proud of out defence industry and its development day by day but to desing and build a fighter jet is a HUGE deal, a HUGE engineering knowledge is required.
With all that the TAI is capable of doing, designing a fighter jet makes a lot of sense. I don't think this will be a "zero to hero" kind of deal. Most likely you will modify an existing design to your specifications in-house. Kind of like the F-2 or the Lavi project.

By the way, I have been thinking of applying to TAI for an engineering position. Does anybody know if they accept non-citizens?

With all that the TAI is capable of doing, designing a fighter jet makes a lot of sense. I don't think this will be a "zero to hero" kind of deal. Most likely you will modify an existing design to your specifications in-house. Kind of like the F-2 or the Lavi project.

By the way, I have been thinking of applying to TAI for an engineering position. Does anybody know if they accept non-citizens?

I am not sure.

You should contact them at the below info and ask. They do offer internships and such.

Turkish Aerospace Industries, Inc.
Fethiye Mahallesi, Havacılık Bulvarı No:17
06980 Kazan-ANKARA / TÜRKİYE
Tel : +90 312 811 1800
Fax: +90 312 811 1425

Turkey to fulfill dream of producing first national fighter jet as of 2015

20 December 2010, Monday / TODAY’S ZAMAN, ANKARA

jet.jpg

Turkey’s dream of producing a national fighter jet entirely on its own is likely to finally come true after a meeting of the Defense Industry Implementation Committee (SSİK) on Saturday.

According to the Anatolia news agency, the committee has decided to start on the design of the first Turkish fighter jet and talks with Turkish Aerospace Industries (TAI), Tusaş Engine Industries (TEI) and Uzay Industries for the production of such aircraft. After the meeting it had been stated that this is the first time in Turkish history that an order has been given by a defense authority for such a project.

TEI will focus on the design and production of aircraft engines as of 2015, while TAI will focus on aircraft design. Experts state that both companies have proven their capabilities in the aviation sector by winning international tenders. Moreover, private and military aircraft have parts designed and produced by both the TEI and TAI. “TEI currently produces more than 600 parts for 33 different aircraft. Almost every plane you get on has one or more parts produced by the Turkish company,” said a TEI spokesman.

As of 2020, TEI projects are expected reach $1.5-2 billion in sales revenue from engine parts. TEI was established 25 years ago as a project company to design and produce several parts for the F-110 engines of the American F-16 jet fighters. Currently, the company has become know for its ability to meet the requirements of its customers with high quality products. TAI is a company known for its high technological standards that assembles and tests aircraft. TAI has been tasked with modernization, modification, system integration of software and after sales service of planes and helicopters in Turkey and regional countries. More specifically, the maintenance of F-16 fighter jets, the conversions of the S-2E Tracker single airframe anti-submarine warfare (ASW) aircraft into a fire-fighting aircraft, the modifications of the CN-235 medium-range twin-engine transport plane, Black Hawk helicopters and Cougar AS-235 helicopter among other things.

Moreover, TAI is also a partner company with Airbus Military SL, a business unit of Airbus Industries, which is part of the European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company N.V. (EADS), and is involved in the design and development process of the A400M aircraft. A total of 1,200 out of the 3,000 people employed with TAI -- established in 1984 -- are engineers. Experts state that TAI will need to double the number of engineers it employs when it begins working on national aircraft production.

Turkey’s dream of producing its own national fighter jet entirely on its own was first posited in the first years of the establishment of the republic, but came to an end in the 1950s. On the other hand, Brazil’s aviation company Embraer S.A. was established 40 years ago and has become one of the worlds most successful aviation companies.

Turkey to fulfill dream of producing first national fighter jet as of 2015

Indeed a great news but i would like to know what generation of Air craft is being developed , hopefully we will see some details soon.

All the antagonists here give me the answer for this question "Why shouldn't they?"

Turkey has everything with them and all the building blocks required to design an aircraft. They can take consultations from many European defence houses and also LM or NG. I am sure they can come out with a better and affordable product.

Turkey has the resources, manpower and everything...thy must start now....Better late than never.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom