What's new

Turkey To Buy 100 Fighter Jets

Owais

Reaction score
Turkey To Buy 100 Fighter Jets

NATO member Turkey plans to buy 100 new-generation combat aircraft under a $10 billion (8.3 billion euro) project over the next 20 years, Anatolia news agency quoted a senior official as saying March 28.

By the end of the year, Ankara will make a choice between the U.S. F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, whose construction is led by Lockheed Martin, and the Eurofighter, being built by a European consortium, the head of the defense industries undersecretariat, Murad Bayar, said in Washington.

The new warplanes would replace F-16 and F-4 aircraft currently used by the Turkish Air Force, Bayar said.

If Turkey is going for F-35. Lockheed better offer some stealthness because otherwise i dont see much competition between the Eurofighter and JSF other than just more advanced electronics.

I think the Turkey is a member in the production of JSF, so for sure they are gonna go for JSF. they are helping lockheed in the preperation of airframes for F-35. Plus they have already been using lockheed martin's F-16's

I have a feeling Turkey is going to go for the EuroFighter. It is already the first in line to recieve the EADS A400 heavylifter and the Turkish Navy wants to buy 4 new Submarines. I believe Germany (HDW) is going to be the prefered source for Turkey.

here is the news source for the Turkish Submarine ..

Request for Information (RFI) for New Type Submarine Project

(Source: Turkish Undersecretariat for Defense Industries – SSM; issued March 30, 2006)

This is to inform you that 4 (four) submarines will be procured under the scope of New Type Submarine Project executed by Undersecretariat for Defense Industries (SSM) to meet the Turkish Naval Forces Command's requirements.

In this frame, Request for Information is issued to gather administrative, financial and technical information from related Companies who may be willing to participate for the project activities.

The companies who are willing to reply to the RFI may request the RFI document by sending an e-mail including their company name and detailed contact address to colcay@ssm.gov.tr. Then, the RFI document will be sent to the related companies by e-mail.

Deadline for requesting the RFI document from SSM is May 15th, 2006 by local time 17:00. Interested companies should send their responses to the addresses referenced in the RFI.

We encourage you to respond and thank you in advance for your interest.

:thumbsup:

Turkey is a participant and a risksharing member of the F-35 consortium.
Considering the price, i.e. $10 billion for 100 fighters, its probably the JSF.
Good for Turkey! :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom