What's new

Turkey says it will retaliate if US halts F-35 Fighter Jet sales

If this turns out to block the F-35, I hope PAF offers the best possible block XX JF-17s instead; remember, Turkey is replacing F-4 Phantoms with this deal, not F-16s, JF-17s can easily replace those.

Then i would take the Saab Gripen instead the JF-17 II.

The TuAF needs an Aircraft that can replace the F-4 only F-35, Rafale or Eurofighter are capable for it.

Then i would take the Saab Gripen instead the JF-17 II.

The TuAF needs an Aircraft that can replace the F-4 only F-35, Rafale or Eurofighter are capable for it.

Well, F-4s are pretty old and basic aircraft. JF-17 could provide a sanction-proof platform. A Gripen has US parts, engines. Typhoon, Rafale, you're buying weapons from countries directly funding, supporting, arming, training and militarily protecting PKK.

A Turkish JF-17 could include the latest block with AESA radar, Turkish EW systems,... A stop-gap measure until the TF-X is ready. At the same time, a sanction proof platform.

If this turns out to block the F-35, I hope PAF offers the best possible block XX JF-17s instead; remember, Turkey is replacing F-4 Phantoms with this deal, not F-16s, JF-17s can easily replace those.

It wouldn't work. Turkey is aiming to improve it's airforce, hence once it gets the F-35, the F-16 becomes the bottom tier of it's airforce, instead of the top tier.

If this deal was ever to go under, the candidates for replacement would be Eurofighter, SU-35 or J-20. It would be a massive shift for Turkey-US relations.

It wouldn't work. Turkey is aiming to improve it's airforce, hence once it gets the F-35, the F-16 becomes the bottom tier of it's airforce, instead of the top tier.

If this deal was ever to go under, the candidates for replacement would be Eurofighter, SU-35 or J-20. It would be a massive shift for Turkey-US relations.
Dont forget Hürjet. If readied on time, Hürjet could be a good ground attack fighter.

Eurofighter would be the worst option as Turkey would then be open to sanction from half a dozen european countries, any of whom could spoil the day for her.

J-20s are not exportable.

Su-35s would be a completely alien system that cannot use Turkish munitions, something unsuitable for a strike platform meant to replace the F-4.

If you think about it long enough, the only meaningful solution is a JF-17.

Eurofighter would be the worst option as Turkey would then be open to sanction from half a dozen european countries, any of whom could spoil the day for her.

Su-35s would be a completely alien system that cannot use Turkish munitions, something unsuitable for a strike platform meant to replace the F-4.

Not a chance. It doesn't fit in with their plans. As much as i'd like to toot our own horn, the TuAF are after a pure 5th gen fighter, not something that is 4th gen in it's current state, maybe 4+ when blk3 comes out. Even PAF has launched project azm to make a 5th gen fighter, and the Turks also have their own domestic project.

J-20 might not be exportable yet, but TuAF are after 100 units, there will be an exportable version for that.

Also yes SU-35 is not 5th gen and also it's "alien tech" to current TuAF infastructure, but if the F-35 deal went south, then it would be a total shift in the Turkish defence industry. They'd have to accomodate something new.

JF-17 doesn't fullfils TuAF needs and if it does we would get some... understand it now?

JF-17 doesn't fullfils TuAF needs and if it does we would get some... understand it now?

I didn't know we had a TuAF representative on PDF. What position do you hold?

According to unofficial sources JF-17 and Jas Gripen are among the options. Another possibility is the purchase of Tranche1-EF from the UK as a stopp-gap solution.

Turkish air force logistics is 100% in NATO standards. Taking a Russian-origin aircraft can be a costly solution, moreover it can take many years to become operational.

Hurjet light attack jet will not be a significant power multiplier due to the short battle radius with +3 tons of ammunition lifting capacity and the 1.4mach maximum speed.If the F35s are not operational, another multi-role jet will come into play to provide a deep strike, like F4s.

According to unofficial sources JF-17 and Jas Gripen are among the options. Another possibility is the purchase of Tranche1-EF from the UK as a stopp-gap solution.

Turkish air force logistics is 100% in NATO standards. Taking a Russian-origin aircraft can be a costly solution, moreover it can take many years to become operational.

Hurjet light attack jet will not be a significant power multiplier due to the short battle radius with +3 tons of ammunition lifting capacity and the 1.4mach maximum speed.If the F35s are not operational, another multi-role jet will come into play to provide a deep strike, like F4s.

Thanks for the reply dBSPL. That's an interesting rumor. I think that the Gripen would be a great aircraft except that it would put Turkey in the same box as an F-35 - major US subsystems. The JF-17 could be made NATO compliant and is essentially built on the same doctrine as Western aircraft.

The F-4 has a typical combat radius of 650 kms. The JF-17 matches this combat radius. The new version of JF-17 has approximately 4500 kg of weapons capability and it would be easy to integrate Turkish weapons. I personally feel this would be a great fit and value for money.

Also - a customized version for Turkish requirements is very possible.

Would you mind sharing your sources? I have never heard anything close to JF17 being considered for TAF.
Same goes for Chinese systems.

Would you mind sharing your sources? I have never heard anything close to JF17 being considered for TAF.

Same goes for Chinese systems.
Source is Rana Tanveer Hussain.
and yes , JF-17 has mostly china-origin subsystems.

Back
Top Bottom