What's new

Turkey considers Russian Su-57, Chinese J-31 jets to replace F-35s - Yeni Şafak

Then I have bad news for you. Number of ongoing military projets ≃ 650

It's more important how many projects will success, how many products will make profit, how many products will have next iterated version. At least you need your own GPS.

In fact, the current number of projects has reached 700. Total contract size is close to 70 billion dollars. However, there are two important details here: First, these projects run with the responsibility or coordination of the Defense Industry Presidency. So legally and financially under the guarantee of the state. Secondly, 90% of these projects are related to subsystem / component / microcomponent / meterial / production technologies.

In other words, the diversity of this projects is mainly directed towards the vertical specialization of the defense industry. Diversification on the basis of the main system has not yet started.

Currently, there are 5 Turkish companies among the 100 largest defense companies in the world. One of them is electronics (Aselsan), one is rocket technologies (Roketsan), one is system engineering and design (STM), one is space and aviation (TAI), and one is armored land systems (BMC). In the near future 3 to 5 more companies will be included in this short list.

However, the Turkish defense industry organization structure is based on an ecosystem where clusters of small and medium-sized enterprises integrate with large corporations. In other words, one area of expertise refers to about 100 companies. hundreds of suppliers and hundreds of project offices. And universities and TUBITAK collaborations for all these structures.

We do not claim to be on the same level as China. This is not possible. However, with our system and especially the results obtained in the last 15 years, we have managed to create the fastest growing defense industry in Europe. This system has now brought the country's needs to 70% indigenousness, and the ultimate goal is to become the largest industry in Europe at 95% indigenous levels.

At this stage, the issue of profitability is not a priority problem for the Turkish defense industry. The state guarantee on the projects will continue to exist for the completion of this transformation.

Last edited:
We do not claim to be on the same level as China. This is not possible. However, with our system and especially the results obtained in the last 15 years, we have managed to create the fastest growing defense industry in Europe. This system has now brought the country's needs to 70% indigenousness, and the ultimate goal is to become the largest industry in Europe at 95% indigenous levels.
I don't think it's possible for Turkey to overtake UK and French in forseable future.
But I agree that's the right direction.
Instead of developing all military industries like US/Russia/China, focusing on some high value industries are the right direction.

Instead of developing all military industries like US/Russia/China, focusing on some high value industries are the right direction.

We are very warm to the cooperation with both Russia and China. I hope that our cooperation with China will experience some developments through Pakistan. For example, with the MILGEM-Pakistan project, we will begin to see Chinese weapons systems with western standard navionics. This means that any user who prefers Turkish CMS will be compatible with Chinese weapons systems also.

Or let me share with you a personal opinion, there is currently no supersonic STOVL jet in active service except the F35B. If China carry such a project to Turkey, Turkey's infrastructure have enough expertise to make this system's avionics compatible with NATO standards-dependent states. This means that the some Western air forces, which are uncomfortable with the F35B's problems, such as ALIS, may lead to a shift to the Chinese market.

I can talk about a lot more possibilities here. But I would like to say briefly that we are one of the countries that support China's future role in the global arena. Therefore, all cooperations are possible provided that they are based on mutual gain. But getting ready-made systems has become almost impossible. Turkey's all defense plannings are based on future indigenous systems.Such a paradigm shift is taking place in Turkey.

Last edited:
We are very warm to the cooperation with both Russia and China. I hope that our cooperation with China will experience some developments through Pakistan. For example, with the MILGEM-Pakistan project, we will begin to see Chinese weapons systems with western standard navionics. This means that any user who prefers Turkish CMS will be compatible with Chinese weapons systems also.

Or let me share with you a personal opinion, there is currently no supersonic STOVL jet in active service except the F35B. If China carry such a project to Turkey, Turkey's infrastructure have enough expertise to make this system's avionics compatible with NATO standards-dependent states. This means that the some Western air forces, which are uncomfortable with the F35B's problems, such as ALIS, may lead to a shift to the Chinese market.

I can talk about a lot more possibilities here. But I would like to say briefly that we are one of the countries that support China's future role in the global arena. Therefore, all cooperations are possible provided that they are based on mutual gain.
It would be truly great if such cooperation happens!

Although I don't think NATO countries will choose it. Politics won't allow it.

No matter what, Turkey is very ambitious indeed.

But due to the relatively small economy, Turkey needs Muslim countries to be its funders and weapons buyers.

So, you can find that Turkey has many military projects for cooperation, but don't know when they can be finished.

I hope that our cooperation with China will experience some developments through Pakistan

Well it's gonna happen today or tomorrow as every body even a new born baby knows that how reliable are western countries. So, wise country will have precautionary relations with such countries.

And there are a few countries(China, Russia, Turkey etc) having the courage to stand in front of US. One of them is Turkey, we've seen it twice in recent months.

This is all nonsense. Americans can provide Turkey with planes that Chinese and especially Russians can dream of matching. With these planes comes unrivalled technology access. Turkey companies are making three hundred components. Losing on these jets will cause massive financial and job losses.
S400 is no where close technologically as what the West can provide. I believe Turkish government will not be insane to loose access to western technology and destroy its defence.
it has already happened when Turkey went ahead with S400 purchase and they have started arriving. so the point of no return has reached unfortunately

No matter what, Turkey is very ambitious indeed.

But due to the relatively small economy, Turkey needs Muslim countries to be its funders and weapons buyers.

So, you can find that Turkey has many military projects for cooperation, but don't know when they can be finished.

Turks have no friends among Muslims, expect Pakistan. They made enemies for all the neighbors and P5

Turks have no friends among Muslims, expect Pakistan. They made enemies for all the neighbors and P5

No, in fact Turkey made itself so appealing to muslims that the mostly illegal migration rate has skyrocket and turkeys neighbors are special but also small and irrelevant :D

For the short term Su-35 buy is most likely. Su-35 can be upgraded with AESA.
Su-35 is no better than F-16 which Turkey already has.

Erdogan destroyed Turkish air force for an icecream.

My dear Turkish friends, don't be lured into Russian trap. They have much inferior to offer. Better stick to the tech offered by West.
@Hakikat ve Hikmet

Turkey chose the S-400 to hit two birds with one stone I feel. The lack of control over the codes of the avionics made the plane a security threat in terms of it transmitting sensitive date back to the US. Secondly S-400 allows Turkey to target its own aircraft in the event they go rogue. Turkish members feel free to correct me.

Back
Top Bottom