What's new

Turkey calls for expansion of economic ties with Iran

Iraq doesn't have enough natural gas reserves to supply Turkey in the long run, Turkey demand for natural gas is growing rapidly, so unless you decide to curb consumption you will be still dependant on gas imports, whether its from Iran, Iraq, Russia or Azerbaijan, however, only Russia and Iran can guarantee Turkey needs in the long run.!

Iran is currently supplying %40 of the natural gas demand of Turkey. In 2012 Turkey's natural gas import is 41 billion m[SUP]3[/SUP]. The amount of gas supplied from Iran is 17,2 billion m[SUP]3[/SUP].

The percentage of the Turkey uses natural gas plants to produce electricity is %46.

With the Akkuyu and Sinop nuclear reactors. We are gonna produce 80 billion kWh electricity annually. That's equivalent of 16 billion m[SUP]3[/SUP] natural gas

In addition, According to a report by The New York Times the Kurds in Iraq have agreed to supply Turkey with at least 10 billion m[SUP]3[/SUP] of gas every year through a natural gas pipeline whose construction is part of the deal.

So energy dependance of Turkey will decrease 26 billion m[SUP]3[/SUP]. I don't think we are gonna stop buying gas from Iran. But we are gonna buy %20 from Iran, %20 from Russia. Diversify the suppliers.

@Sinan I think you misunderstood me, I'm saying Iraq doesn't have enough reserves to supply itself and Turkey in the long run.
U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

Diversification is a good choice, but only Russia and Iran have sufficient natural gas reserves that could supply Turkey in the long run. Of course you could always import from Turkmenistan, Qatar or even Saudi Arabia! But you have to take this into consideration that Turkey demand for natural gas increases AVG 4% every year.

Last edited by a moderator:
sam1980

Iran has alot of reseves but do you have enough to supply, Iraq,Turkey,Pakistan and supply you own need???

Iran exports not only gas to turkey btw, but alot of oil and electricity. Turkey has reduced it's imports from Iran.

We don't welcome such calls for "cooperation", so far our cooperation (if you can call it that) was one sided and in Turkey's benefit. Stop the natural gas exports and supply Iranians instead, we have the 2nd largest natural gas reserves in the world, we must not import from a country like Turkmenistan! Turks know when to cut gas exports, when its dead cold, and demand higher prices.

Iran sees 50% drop in Turkmenistan gas supplies

We buy your gas with higher prices moron. It is more profitable to export gas for Turkish markets rather than wasting it in domestic markets.
Iran can give Turkey a quick access to Central Asia,Southern Asia and Far East and also, Persian Gulf states. while Turkey can greatly provide fast access for Iran to Europe.This is just one of the benefits.Let's talk business, not nationalism.
Things are so fvcked up in Central Asia only because Russian and Persian personal egos. For the record, we always talk for our interests, if we really have a nationalist agenda, you would have an Azeri terrorist organization with a considerable control over Iranian Azeris.
sam1980

Iran has alot of reseves but do you have enough to supply, Iraq,Turkey,Pakistan and supply you own need???

Iran exports not only gas to turkey btw, but alot of oil and electricity. Turkey has reduced it's imports from Iran.
The thing is, Iran acts like North Korea in this matters. It is simply deluded with protectionism. Turkish companies could offer a lot for Iranian markets.

@Sinan I think you misunderstood me, I'm saying Iraq doesn't have enough reserves to supply itself and Turkey in the long run.
U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

Diversification is a good choice, but only Russia and Iran have sufficient natural gas reserves that could supply Turkey in the long run. Of course you could always import from Turkmenistan, Qatar or even Saudi Arabia! But you have to take this into consideration that Turkey demand for natural gas increases AVG 4% every year.

According to The World Factbook, by the time 1 January 2012 Iraq has 3,6 trillion m3 proven reserves. I think they can supply us 10 billion m3 natural gas annually for a few decades.

It's true the demand for the natural gas increases, but you have consider that natural gas is mainly used for generating electricity. Turkey plans have plans to build 6 nuclear plants until 2023.
Hydroelectric plants, wind turbines, solar systems, geothermal plants are currently being build.
Major American firms have come to Turkey for shale gas production.
We are searching for natural gas in black sea with a budget of $2.5 billion.
We have also have claims for the natural gas in aegean sea and mediterranean sea.

So in the long term, i believe we will see a decrease in the Turkeys demand for the natural gas.

@mehmeTcc I would suggest you learn some manners and maybe (!) get your facts straight?

And please don't worry about Azeris, we don't need you to worry about us! How many times do I have to repeat this? Do you understand that half of the Iranians on this forum are Azeris?
Did you know that Iran's supreme leader is of Azeri descent?!

Thank you :)

@mehmeTcc I would suggest you learn some manners and maybe (!) get your facts straights?

And please don't worry about Azeris, we don't need you to worry about us! How many times do I have to repeat this? Do you understand that half of the Iranians on this forum are Azeris?
Did you know that Iran's supreme leader is of Azeri descent?!

Thank you :)
I wonder why, most of the guys claiming to be Azeris here can't speak a single goddamn Azeri word. Of course, our ancestors didn't call your words of wisdom as Acem Palavrası for no reason.

Back
Top Bottom