What's new

Turkey and Islam: Dress tests - ECONOMIST

XTREME

Reaction score
New frontiers in Turkey’s culture wars

20130216_EUP002_0.jpg

“STAR TREK”, said one commentator. “They may as well wear a burqa,” huffed another. Supposedly chaste new uniforms for Turkish Airlines (THY) cabin attendants have triggered mirth and horror in the cyberworld. They have also sharpened debate about creeping conservatism under the mildly Islamist Justice and Development (AK) government. With its embrace of overt piety and family values, AK is more like America’s religious right than Iran’s mullahs. But secularists feel beleaguered.

THY’s ankle-length caftans for women and silver-brocade coats for men seem impractical. Dilek Hanif, who designed them, insisted they were “just several among many other proposed models”. THY backed her claims with photos of more sensible gear. The carrier, which now flies to 219 destinations, was last year voted “Best Airline Europe” by Skytrax, an airline quality-ranking programme, for a second time.

Fresh controversy erupted when it emerged that THY has scrapped booze on all domestic flights save six (including Ankara and Istanbul). Eight foreign destinations in Africa and the Middle East have also gone dry. “We are globally sober,” tweeted Bulent Mumay, a journalist for Hurriyet, in a dig at THY’s advertisement, “Globally Yours”. The airline justifies its move on the ground that there is insufficient demand by Anatolian and other Muslim passengers.

More likely, some say, it wants to please Turkey’s prime minister, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, a militant teetotaller, who while mayor of Istanbul led a campaign to scrap drink in municipally run restaurants. Yet like the similarly pious president, Abdullah Gul, Mr Erdogan tolerates drinking on his official jet. Even so, many Turks pander to his piety. At a fashion fair in December organisers removed naked mannequins before his arrival. Producers of “The Magnificent Century”, a popular mini-series about Suleiman the Magnificent, shrank his beloved wife Roxelana’s cleavage after Mr Erdogan complained that “our Ottoman forebears are being misrepresented”. After ten years of AK rule Turkey is richer, more powerful—and less fun.

Turkey and Islam: Dress tests | The Economist

Really?

What is even the matter here? West is going bizerk over Islam.

Turkish Air Lines is the largest international airlines (in terms of different destinations)..and the most successful airline in the Europe.

Europeans can cry but can't compete. LOL...

Airlines from Muslim countries are now beating, and out-growing their Western counter parts.. Qatar Airlines, Emirates, Turkish Airlines, Malaysian Air Lines etc are doing a good job. Wish them very best of luck!

Really?

What is even the matter here? West is going bizerk over Islam.

Turkish Air Lines is the largest international airlines (in terms of different destinations)..and the most successful airline in the Europe.

Europeans can cry but can't compete. LOL...

Airlines from Muslim countries are now beating, and out-growing their Western counter parts.. Qatar Airlines, Emirates, Turkish Airlines, Malaysian Air Lines etc are doing a good job. Wish them very best of luck!

That is not true.

Turkish Airlines is #5 in number of destinations served:

By number of destinations
Current number of destinations

Rank Airline Country Destinations
1 United Airlines United States United States 374 [37]
2 Delta Air Lines United States United States 356 [38]
3 American Airlines United States United States 260 [39]
4 Air France-KLM France France, Netherlands Netherlands 230 [40]
5 Turkish Airlines Turkey Turkey 219 [41]
6 Lufthansa Germany Germany 217 [42]
7 Air Canada Canada Canada 206 [43]
8 International Airlines Group (British Airways & Iberia) United Kingdom United Kingdom Spain Spain 200 [44]
9 Emirates United Arab Emirates UAE 196 [45]
10 Qantas Australia Australia 182 [46]

World's largest airlines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why is Economist making a big deal, the uniform is fine...

Seems economist wants the Turkish Airline employees to be wearing short skirts and baggy jeans.. :lol:

I just cant understand why secularist feel threatened whenever a woman wears a full dress, i mean they have their wives, mothers and daughters and they can dress them anyway they feel like and let others dress anyway they feel like.

That is not true.

Turkish Airlines is #5 in number of destinations served:

By number of destinations
Current number of destinations

Rank Airline Country Destinations
1 United Airlines United States United States 374 [37]
2 Delta Air Lines United States United States 356 [38]
3 American Airlines United States United States 260 [39]
4 Air France-KLM France France, Netherlands Netherlands 230 [40]
5 Turkish Airlines Turkey Turkey 219 [41]
6 Lufthansa Germany Germany 217 [42]
7 Air Canada Canada Canada 206 [43]
8 International Airlines Group (British Airways & Iberia) United Kingdom United Kingdom Spain Spain 200 [44]
9 Emirates United Arab Emirates UAE 196 [45]
10 Qantas Australia Australia 182 [46]

World's largest airlines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"International" destinations....

Most of United Airlines 'destinations' are inside America itself...

The problem here is,
We are a modern muslim country until now no problems regarding alcohol and clothing of cabin personal.
why change their clothes for what and why no alcohol served on planes?
Untill now they did serve alcohol and clothes were normal,what does mr.Erdogan want?
Change the country into a sharia country?
The way this is going we will have a mullah or sharia government of our own.

The problem here is,
We are a modern muslim country until now no problems regarding alcohol and clothing of cabin personal.
why change their clothes for what and why no alcohol served on planes?
Untill now they did serve alcohol and clothes were normal,what does mr.Erdogan want?
Change the country into a sharia country?
The way this is going we will have a mullah or sharia government of our own.

I don't know about no alcohol thing... I think Turkish Airlines DOES serve alcohol....

Secondly, changing clothes has nothing to do with Shari'a. This is simple marketing technique...Companies change their uniforms again and again to have change.

This uniform looks great and reflects Turkish culture. Stop being a cry baby. This is not even any issue..

Who is crying here?
Small changes eventualy lead to be big changes,dont tell me what to say or to do about my country.
All issues regarding my country are my issues,these uniforms have nothing to do with my culture.
They look more like indonesian to me.

I am not supporting religious government but respecting some rules is a good thing. these flight attendant have family.
good job Turkey :tup:

Uniform change is ok, but no booze policy might affect their business:alcoholic:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom