What's new

Turkey and Indonesia to develop medium tank

Our Army in the old days prefers light tank than MBT, but Today we also have Leopard MBT. I think Today with a new turret and ammunition technology, a medium tank can be more effective than MBT according to some military analyst at war situation. The maneuverability and its weight is also quite important aspect to consider of why some nation prefers light or medium tank than MBT.

Beside that, there is also another reason, medium tank can also be converted into amphibious version. For your information, we have one of the largest Marine force in the world, we have around 29.000 Marine troops and will be added gradually in the near future. Our Marine force is also regarded as one of the best unit in our Armed Force beside Kostrad unit (Army/ 27.000 strength) and Kopassus unit (Army Special Force/ 8000 strength )

So as @Kamil_baku has mentioned earlier, this tank is likely to have its amphibious version in the future, so PT Pindad and Turkish company can broaden the market in Indonesia as it can serve both Army and Marine Forces. Previous PT Pindad APV (Anoa) also get converted into amphibious version to serve our Marine needs. It is a very smart move from PT Pindad though.

In term of geography, I believe we have enough infrastructure now to make MBT can function effectively during war, but each tank has its own advantage, so better we combine them. I believe in the future we also can consider to make MBT if we see that it is important to have many of them.

Actually, Syria-FSA conflicts clearly show us that The heavy or not, tanks are an easy targets at urban warfare and It is a must to develop hard-kill systems for protection. It is not important how thick or advanced your armour technology If a modern ATGM is launched on you. Besides, Turkish new fire control systems have an independant thermal vision system different than gunner which scan the 360 degree zone to increase situation awareness. If a target is found, The turret can automatically directed towards target with a joystick click. In additions, A stabilized 12,7mm gun is also stationed top of the turret which is able to be operated seperately/jointly with tank FCS. Thanks to stabilization, The gun can actively be used against assymetric threats precisiously. To increase situation awareness more, The turret covered with IR cameraes (most probably have IRST capability) which is able to scan 360 degree of tank zone. Along with IR trackers, Radars are also stationed at corner places of turret... but most logical thing to do is using 65 tonnes tank with 35-40 tonnes IFV/light tanks in warzones. That's what Turkish armed forces is planning to do...

Altay and Tulpar

ironcavelry_zpshztl2cwl.jpg

Our Army in the old days prefers light tank than MBT, but Today we also have Leopard MBT. I think Today with a new turret and ammunition technology, a medium tank can be more effective than MBT according to some military analyst at war situation. The maneuverability and its weight is also quite important aspect to consider of why some nation prefers light or medium tank than MBT.

Beside that, there is also another reason, medium tank can also be converted into amphibious version. For your information, we have one of the largest Marine force in the world, we have around 29.000 Marine troops and will be added gradually in the near future. Our Marine force is also regarded as one of the best unit in our Armed Force beside Kostrad unit (Army/ 27.000 strength) and Kopassus unit (Army Special Force/ 8000 strength )

So as @Kamil_baku has mentioned earlier, this tank is likely to have its amphibious version in the future, so PT Pindad and Turkish company can broaden the market in Indonesia as it can serve both Army and Marine Forces. Previous PT Pindad APV (Anoa) also get converted into amphibious version to serve our Marine needs. It is a very smart move from PT Pindad though.

In term of geography, I believe we have enough infrastructure now to make MBT can function effectively during war, but each tank has its own advantage, so better we combine them. I believe in the future we also can consider to make MBT if we see that it is important to have many of them.
bro countries use army technology based on their needs...
Indonesia needs amphibious version, because, there are simply too many islands there.. what if you lost you surface ships from first hit? thats why its always better to consider all kind of treats.. For example, Japan considered lighter one, as they have also many islands and if there are heavy, bridges will not stand for them. Probably the same for Indonesia.. You will have huge advantage with amphibious tank. Good luck. Turkey will be a really good partner to purchase army technology in the future, this way, you could also keep the balance between USA and CHine..

Good luck. Turkey will be a really good partner to purchase army technology in the future, this way, you could also keep the balance between USA and CHine..

Thanks bro, it is actually an action taken from our government side (political), PT Pindad itself in the beginning wanted to cooperate with South Korea. So, this cooperation is indeed started from political point of view first. Indonesia has started to look to Muslim world now and tried to strengthen cooperation in military sector with them.

What happened to the days when countries use to develop tanks by themselves? :close_tema:

Thanks for that. So do you think the light weight of this tank is based on the geography of Indonesia or are there other factors involved?

logistics means, and the means of our infrastructure

I hope Turkish Army buys.It will be amphibic and our army always love amphibic and high mobility ones.
We can use units in different forms for duties.
1. Altay+IFV
2. Medium Tank+IFV
3.Altay+medium Tank
4.Altay+medium Tank+IFV

Well I think we shouldn't buy. We need to make our profit and develop our own homemade one instead of it.

Back
Top Bottom