What's new

Turkey About To Receive 2 OHP-Class From USN, Bill Approved

they maybe used as spares for other perry class frigates since their Mk13 launchers will be removed means they will require extensive upgrade which will be very very expensive to do.
What spare parts can come out of these ships? engine and transmission maybe :lol: but really not much. Removed Mk13s can be re-installed easily or the navy can implement a 127mm naval gun and Mk41Vls just like MEKOs.

Either way there's plenty of space for anything and these platforms still have some years on them. It would be a shame to scrap them right away.
When i was checking Greece's military photos i noticed they got Phalanx on their ships? Us gave them? and why we don't have it if its already given to greeks?...
Does it matter? Milgem has RAM which is much more advanced than any CIWS. Our Sea Zeniths are quite capable none the less.

When i was checking Greece's military photos i noticed they got Phalanx on their ships? Us gave them? and why we don't have it if its already given to greeks?...

please check the armament of TCG GÖKÇEADA (F-494)

63784_407038549374168_969511432_n.jpg

6637_407038666040823_1432097326_n.jpg

Oye....we wanted the OHPs ! :angry:

Are there any left ? :what:

About a dozen after deduction of ships mentioned in this act and others. See Perry class wiki

Interesting clause
ALTERNATIVE TRANSFER AUTHORITY.
Not withstanding the authority provided in subsections (a) and (b) to transfer specific vessels to specific countries, the President is authorized, subject to the same conditions that would apply for such country under this Act, to transfer any vessel named in this Act to any country named in this Act such that the total number of vessels transferred to such country does not exceed the total number of vessels authorized for transfer to such country by this Act.
I.e. these countries may get any one of the ships mentioned in this act, not necessarily as indicated on the per country basis.

Also, as we´ve seen in the past e.g. with Spruance class ships, this authority means the ships can be offered to these countries. It doesn´t mean the navies in question have requested them, nor that they have to accept them if/when offered.

they maybe used as spares for other perry class frigates since their Mk13 launchers will be removed means they will require extensive upgrade which will be very very expensive to do.
Will be? ARE (since 2003)!

A mk41 is relatively easily installed. With the advent of the Extensible Launching System, new munitions are now coming available including quad-packed Nulka decoys, quad-packed RAM block 2. Which means, one could install 32 fire and forget SAMs with relative ease, without even finding a replacement for the deinstalled STIR. Missile number can be increase using a few Single Cell Launchers LMCO is now offering. Easiest thing to do would be park a few Harpoon racks over the Mk13 base left in place.
Lockheed Martin · Naval Launchers and Munitions

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/content/dam/lockheed/data/ms2/documents/launchers/ExLS Fact Sheet.pdf
http://www.lockheedmartin.com/conte...s/launchers/Single_Cell_Launcher_brochure.pdf

Which one is your choice:

Alternative A:
6 TF2000 + 14 of modernized current Frigates

Alternative B:
4 TF2000 + 4TF100 + 14 of modernized current Frigates

My choice is A. After TF2000 project there will be nothing new in simpler TF100 project. Instead, it is better to equip 8 MILGEM corvettes with at least Roketsan Short Range Air Defence Missile.

Considering the under development long rage versions of SOM cruse missiles, a warship with considerable VLS cells (TF2000) could be classified as a semi-strategic warship.

I wish we gotten the 2 Ticonderoga-Class Cruiser rather then the 2 Perrys. I think we could afford maintaining just 2 of them yet it would made a significant difference :)

Look at this baby...
cruiser10.jpg

^ yeah beautiful indeed but she's too big for our needs right now... a second Mk 41 VLS in the aft is just not necessary even for the future LHD fleet. USN uses Mk 41s on Ticonderoga for SM2s and SM3s mostly. What we have are SM1s and ESSMs :D

By the way she requires a crew larger than any other vessel we operate.. it'd be a disaster to lose one of them.

If you ask me, even an arleigh burke class would be too big for Mediterranean.

Do they come with some equipment and weapons or like in the case of Pakistan, just steel structure with weapons and equipment totally stripped down?

Do they come with some equipment and weapons or like in the case of Pakistan, just steel structure with weapons and equipment totally stripped down?

Mk13s has been demounted before but Mk141 Harpoon launchers and torpedo tubes will remain on them. Even though these are about 30+ year old vessels and they do not have too many years on them, I'm almost certain that their final apperance will be identical to any other G-class frigate.

Mk 13s will probably be acquired from USN's depots
Smart-S, MK41 vls and Genesis combat system upgrades will be made at Turkish Navy's expense.

Which one is your choice:

Alternative A:
6 TF2000 + 14 of modernized current Frigates

Alternative B:
4 TF2000 + 4TF100 + 14 of modernized current Frigates

My choice is A. After TF2000 project there will be nothing new in simpler TF100 project. Instead, it is better to equip 8 MILGEM corvettes with at least Roketsan Short Range Air Defence Missile.

Considering the under development long rage versions of SOM cruse missiles, a warship with considerable VLS cells (TF2000) could be classified as a semi-strategic warship.

Alternative-B will be what Turkey is going to achieve in near future.

4 TF2000 + 4+2 TF100 + 8 MILGEM + 14 of modernized current Frigates

For TF-2000 project, So serious and strategic radar program called CAFRAD are under development phase. Acc to some statements, Aselsan is pushing all technological limits+establishing new high/tech production brends to create one of the best Active Phased Array Radar system to be developed in Turkey. It is stated that Development of such a serious radar is one of the most difficult job Aselsan charged... It must be so precisious regarding every performance parameters because Turkey will deliver the future of sea based aerial protection of 75 million nation to those radar systems...

Alternative-B will be what Turkey is going to achieve in near future.

4 TF2000 + 4+2 TF100 + 8 MILGEM + 14 of modernized current Frigates

For TF-2000 project, So serious and strategic radar program called CAFRAD are under development phase. Acc to some statements, Aselsan is pushing all technological limits+establishing new high/tech production brends to create one of the best Active Phased Array Radar system to be developed in Turkey. It is stated that Development of such a serious radar is one of the most difficult job Aselsan charged... It must be so precisious regarding every performance parameters because Turkey will deliver the future of sea based aerial protection of 75 million nation to those radar systems...

We hope Aselsan will develop APAR with success, after that, no doubt, the next big achievement will be AESA radar for TF-X aircraft :)

If We suppose Aselsan CAFRAD has a radius range of 300km, It means that 1 TF-2000 frigate is going to watch 600km dia air layer.

Sending 1 Tf-2000 frigates to BlackSea will means watching almost all BlackSea activities.

Sending 1 TF-2000 frigate to East Medditerranean will provide Turkey to watch the aerial activities from Israel to Antalya or From Egypt to Turkey...

In this aspect, Sending 4 TF-2000 frigates to Aegean (Turkey's AAW frigates are going to be protected by huge upgraded frigate fleet), means cutting the breath of Greek AirForce at every likely war situation...

According to Arda Mevlutoglu (aka orko_8 on web), a brochure distributed by LM (Lockheed Martin) during the maritime seminar in Turkey (I don't know the year), the coverage of 4 TF-2000 :) :

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom