What's new

Tunisian Armed Forces ( Pictures & Videos )

Last edited:
You know what I think, I think the Tunisian military should do is buy either f-16's or comparable fighters to replace or complement their f-5's or an even better idea would be asking Saudi Arabia for their older Panavia Tornados by paying them. I know that the Panavia Tornado is old but Saudi Arabia is retiring them soon and although I know some people don't like Saudi Arabia they recently held activities with Tunisia. After all Tunisia isn't the richest country in North Africa and Panavia Tornados or F-16s would improve self defense. I know I might be wrong since I'm not from Tunisia so correct me please.

You know what I think, I think the Tunisian military should do is buy either f-16's or comparable fighters to replace or complement their f-5's or an even better idea would be asking Saudi Arabia for their older Panavia Tornados by paying them. I know that the Panavia Tornado is old but Saudi Arabia is retiring them soon and although I know some people don't like Saudi Arabia they recently held activities with Tunisia. After all Tunisia isn't the richest country in North Africa and Panavia Tornados or F-16s would improve self defense. I know I might be wrong since I'm not from Tunisia so correct me please.

You are free to have your own opinion. Whatever you are from TN or not.
And Yes, IMO TN should go for F-16's (Refurbished ones) for now, if she wish to beef up her Air Force, at a lower cost.

You are free to have your own opinion. Whatever you are from TN or not.
And Yes, IMO TN should go for F-16's (Refurbished ones) for now, if she wish to beef up her Air Force, at a lower cost.
But you don't think Panavia Tornados are a good idea? I'm sure parts are produced still and the are probably going to rot in the air boneyard.

But you don't think Panavia Tornados are a good idea? I'm sure parts are produced still and the are probably going to rot in the air boneyard.
Tornados are capable. But The F-16s are better. At least for TN needs and Doctrine.
As for KSA... they "promised" us their retired F-5... years ago... Still nothing and TN didn't ask again...Let alone Tornados.
And Pilots seems to be more familiar with F-16.

Tornados are capable. But The F-16s are better. At least for TN needs and Doctrine.
As for KSA... they "promised" us their retired F-5... years ago... Still nothing and TN didn't ask again...Let alone Tornados.
And Pilots seems to be more familiar with F-16.
Do you know how much money Tunisia sets aside for new fighters? I saw that that are a major non-nato ally so maybe that could help with purchasing a new fighter from America and its allies in Europe especially that are retiring their f-16's in favor of f-35s or newer fighters. There is a lot they could do but the funds are hard to come by I get it. Jordan did that with their f-16's from the Netherlands. One other thing I was meaning to ask was about their tanks. M60 tanks are getting rather old by now. Do they have a plan for either putting in a 120 mm turret or upgrading fire controls system or armor? Or are they going to buy new tanks? I'm sorry for annoying you but I have been interested in middle eastern countries militaries for the past year almost and want good militaries for all.

Do you know how much money Tunisia sets aside for new fighters? I saw that that are a major non-nato ally so maybe that could help with purchasing a new fighter from America and its allies in Europe especially that are retiring their f-16's in favor of f-35s or newer fighters. There is a lot they could do but the funds are hard to come by I get it. Jordan did that with their f-16's from the Netherlands. One other thing I was meaning to ask was about their tanks. M60 tanks are getting rather old by now. Do they have a plan for either putting in a 120 mm turret or upgrading fire controls system or armor? Or are they going to buy new tanks? I'm sorry for annoying you but I have been interested in middle eastern countries militaries for the past year almost and want good militaries for all.
hello ... so let me get in the discussion as i always say i see JAS 39 Better fr tunisia yes the unit price might be higher but the flight hour cost is way less .... and about the M60 maybe Upgrade to the Turkish M60A3M

Pictures to M60A3 M
DZxIyJGXkAAvPg4.jpg

DZxIz2uWAAIakG4.jpg

DZxW0JnWkAEDUsE.jpg

about the f16 vs jas 39
PER-HOUR-GRIPEN.jpg

PER-HOUR-F-16E.jpg

upload_2018-11-22_22-35-1.png

upload_2018-11-22_22-35-29.png

upload_2018-11-22_22-36-3.png

upload_2018-11-22_22-36-45.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-22_22-36-21.png
    upload_2018-11-22_22-36-21.png
    57.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

There is no concrete plan to purchase Fighters, it's just speculation. But the need to rebuild a modern Air Force is pressing/needed for the country. And taking into account TN limited Defense Budget, few fighters come in minds, according to current alliances, like the F-16.
But TN could also get new ones from other manufacturer, like the Gripen per example. It's all a matter of "Loan" from the Seller.

Tanks like Fighters are not a priority for TN, since Money neither "Enemies" are around to fulfill a need to rapidly renew those equipment. As for Upgrades, it's a possibility (like TR versions), but I, Hope they don't and just get few modern ones.

TN is rebuilding a modern army from the ground, by the limited budget and Current threat she got. So much of the investment is toward Counter-Terro branch with their respective equipment (MRAPs/Infantry training & equipment/Helis/light naval ships etc...)
After that, She will mostly turn to complete the end of the canvas, but till then Years will pass, maybe decade(s) and hopefully an economy boost...otherwise Dreams will stay dreams.

And last, you don't bother me, neither anyone here... other TN members could also give you more adequate answers.

hello ... so let me get in the discussion as i always say i see JAS 39 Better fr tunisia yes the unit price might be higher but the flight hour cost is way less .... and about the M60 maybe Upgrade to the Turkish M60A3M

Pictures to M60A3 M
DZxIyJGXkAAvPg4.jpg

DZxIz2uWAAIakG4.jpg

DZxW0JnWkAEDUsE.jpg

about the f16 vs jas 39
PER-HOUR-GRIPEN.jpg

PER-HOUR-F-16E.jpg
You may be right about the Jas 39 but I don't know much about it. Isn't that tank upgraded by Israel? I know North Africans have a better relationship with Israel then Levantine Arabs but I honestly would choose the Phoenix upgrade from Jordan. Israelis would probably charge more to Tunisia than Jordan would and they both have 120 mm gun and fire control system. I personally like the Falcon Turret made by Jordan but unfortunately it isn't being pursued anymore. The unmanned turret would really be a good thing for me because that is the future of tanks. Also an active protection system such as the Leds-150 https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LEDS-150.

You may be right about the Jas 39 but I don't know much about it. Isn't that tank upgraded by Israel? I know North Africans have a better relationship with Israel then Levantine Arabs but I honestly would choose the Phoenix upgrade from Jordan. Israelis would probably charge more to Tunisia than Jordan would and they both have 120 mm gun and fire control system. I personally like the Falcon Turret made by Jordan but unfortunately it isn't being pursued anymore. The unmanned turret would really be a good thing for me because that is the future of tanks.

You have better chance to find a Pro-Israel dude in Iran than in N-Africa...

You have better chance to find a Pro-Israel dude in Iran than in N-Africa...
Do you think that they should upgrade their defence industry or even start one? It could be simple such as ammo and move onto vehicles made under license. I for one would be willing to work in the Middle East once I got a degree. They could even upgrade the tanks themselves if provided with materials. I'm currently trying to work in the Gulf or Jordan inshaallah. Nowadays you can't trust anybody to steadily provide you with arms because they could become your enemies at any time. Please provided your opinion on this subject and correct me if they have already started building a defence industry.

Do you think that they should upgrade their defence industry or even start one? It could be simple such as ammo and move onto vehicles made under license. I for one would be willing to work in the Middle East once I got a degree. They could even upgrade the tanks themselves if provided with materials. I'm currently trying to work in the Gulf or Jordan inshaallah. Nowadays you can't trust anybody to steadily provide you with arms because they could become your enemies at any time. Please provided your opinion on this subject and correct me if they have already started building a defence industry.
It's all a matter of scale. and (needs)
TN army is small and will remain as such for a very long time... at least if she doesn't get "conquest" ideas in the coming decades...
Therefore Indigenous product is an economical constraint even though it's needed for security.
The next best thing is "Licencing"... it's isn't perfect, but local companies could acquire knowledge in the meantime...but it's far from self sustainability.

TN is already making her own small ammo, nothing special. TN is making her own Patrol boats (except Engine/Armament/Sys) and many other little things.
There is recently news of local manufacturing of some Defense equipment from TR, but that's it.

In Conclusion, TN will remain extremely dependent for a very very long time and the Defense industry will stay very very limited.

I was thinking for defence but I was also thinking of helping allies. Who knows when another war will break out between two middle eastern countries although I would assume they would stay neutral in a war between Algeria and Morocco because of their bad position. Squashed between Algeria and Libya. But I know Algeria wouldn't attack Tunisia if they were neutral. Of course I would side with Morocco because they would eventually win. Also I'm not sure about it but they might particapte in other conflicts in the Levant and gulf. I don't usually learn about Morocco so I might be wrong about their foreign policy.

I was thinking for defence but I was also thinking of helping allies. Who knows when another war will break out between two middle eastern countries although I would assume they would stay neutral in a war between Algeria and Morocco because of their bad position. Squashed between Algeria and Libya. But I know Algeria wouldn't attack Tunisia if they were neutral. Of course I would side with Morocco because they would eventually win. Also I'm not sure about it but they might particapte in other conflicts in the Levant and gulf. I don't usually learn about Morocco so I might be wrong about their foreign policy.

In a war btw Algeria and Morocco, TN will stay neutral. But such war is unlikely despite tensions, it's very hard to believe both population will support their respective gov if they wish to go to war.
And increasing Defense capabilities on the sole purpose of "Defending" herself when nothing around her is a threat or helping allies in an hypothetical war is not really in TN mind and pockets right now.

As for the winner of Algeria vs Morocco... ALG has largely better chance to win, at least if you take into account their defense capabilities as of today compared to MAR.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom