What's new

TTs Future Direction?

A question for all seniors:

What OUGHT to be the purpose of the TT? How can it be made effective in what it OUGHT to do?

TT is on long term lay away as both Chair and Vice-Chair are mostly MIA. no direction...the JrTT is more robust

Article writing?
Websites main page gets boring as no new content is being written..
I think the last article was written by Xeric many months ago...
just a suggestion...

I am new here so my opinion is not valuable I know, but:

I feel that not just the Chairman or Vice-Chairman of the TT, but all TTs should be more visible in the forums with active participation so that their learned views can be discussed and absorbed by others. This will improve the value of the forum immensely.

Of course, as mentioned above, article writing on topic that generates lively debate would also be welcomed by many.

(@Aeronaut @ANTIBODY @nuclearpak @Zakii anyone please: approval for this post? )

Last edited by a moderator:
If the TT members want to do something they need to contact the chairman and VC chairman. If they are not able to meet their requirements, they can vote for re-election.

As you read the piece below, I would request you think about and offer comments and ideas as to whether TT has a role to play, any kind of role, in such ideas:

Pakistan’s narrative of impotence
By M Bilal Lakhani
Published: June 5, 2013

The writer is a graduate of Columbia University’s Graduate School of Journalism and currently teaches journalism at SZABIST in Karachi

Pakistan is a nation constantly on the brink of a nervous breakdown. Whether it’s a bomb blast in Boston or a hostage situation practically anywhere in the world, the first thought racing through our minds goes something like this: ‘Dear God, please don’t let this be another Pakistani doing something ridiculous that doesn’t represent me’. There is a palpable sense of fear that we have a knack for messing things up, for ourselves and for others. If we were to go into group therapy to treat our nervous breakdown, what treatment would psychologists recommend for a nation that believes it can do nothing right?

The answer to that question is already weaved into the stories we tell others — and ourselves — about Pakistan. We tell our children that Pakistan was once considered an economic role model and Karachi was a city full of lights and life, before our incompetence led to squandering many opportunities to give Pakistan a better future. We tell our children that the British left us an extensive rail network and instead of building and expanding that network, we looted and plundered our own resources. We tell our children that Pakistan previously had an abundant supply of gas as a natural resource and today, we struggle to supply enough gas for the residents of our capital city to cook dinner. In other words, we tell our children an overpowering tale of Pakistan’s impotence. It’s no surprise then that when it comes to results, we receive exactly what we expect from Pakistan: an inability to deliver when and where it matters.

This leads to a very revealing insight: the stories we tell ourselves about Pakistan don’t just define our past, they also shape our future. If we can change the existing narrative around Pakistan, we could influence our future in a meaningful way. Let’s begin this process by asking, beyond impotence, does Pakistan have a story worth telling?

Pakistan does have a gripping narrative beyond the tales of its monumental impotence, but it doesn’t have storytellers that can celebrate the country, without being branded as ‘apologists’. Yes, Pakistan’s problems are real and significant. But so are Pakistan’s achievements, which are overlooked by the country’s storytellers.

Every now and then, a storyteller breaks onto the national stage and changes the way we look at ourselves. Recently, it was the promise of a Naya Pakistan that electrified the nation. It wasn’t a specific policy proposal that inspired the nation. It was the promise of a new narrative about Pakistan that encouraged a tsunami of young and first-time voters to show up at polling stations around the country. Without changing anything on the ground, one gifted storyteller managed to lift the national mood by promising a new narrative around Pakistan. This is a vivid example of the power of storytelling and how it can influence outcomes in the real world.

The power of storytelling can be used to influence the destiny of a nation. By being more strategic about the stories we choose to tell about Pakistan, we can reimagine the future of the country. We can transform Pakistan’s story not by eliminating negative stories currently etched onto our national narrative but by introducing more positive stories to balance our national conversation. This will automatically transform the meaning of the negative stories currently populating our national narrative. Ultimately, how we interpret reality will matter more than reality itself.

In many ways, Pakistan is like the family that avoids going to expensive restaurants and stores because we’re certain that our children will break something — even if they aren’t as mischievous as we imagine them to be. We’re a nation that settles for less because we believe we can’t achieve more. This vicious cycle can and should be broken by the new government.

As a reality check, it’s important to note that post-modernist buzzwords like ‘storytelling’ and ‘positive thinking’ can’t solve Pakistan’s real problems by themselves. But they can significantly enhance our capacity to solve problems by empowering us with genuine confidence in our approach to challenges. In fact, Pakistan could turn its biggest weakness into a strength by using its crippling impotence as a starting point for a great turnaround story. After all, behind every great nation, there is always a great turnaround story.

As you read the piece below, I would request you think about and offer comments and ideas as to whether TT has a role to play, any kind of role, in such ideas:

As a reality check, it’s important to note that post-modernist buzzwords like ‘storytelling’ and ‘positive thinking’ can’t solve Pakistan’s real problems by themselves. But they can significantly enhance our capacity to solve problems by empowering us with genuine confidence in our approach to challenges. In fact, Pakistan could turn its biggest weakness into a strength by using its crippling impotence as a starting point for a great turnaround story. After all, behind every great nation, there is always a great turnaround story.

@muse Sir for any of that to be applicable, there needs to be a far greater level of visibility and involvement by the TT in the forums threads to interact with the members so as to be able to influence their thinking in a positive way. As a relatively new and junior member, I find that lacking somewhat.

@Aeronaut @nuclearpak please approve this post thanks.

Hi,

Both the TT chair and VC have been worthless---I wrote to them awhile ago and asked them why they have taken up this position---they never replied to me---.

I am very disappointed at you two guys ( thgough it may mean nothing to you )---you two should have refused the selection---and specially the jobs that you two have---you are trained to lead from the front---then what happened over here..

This position needs leadership---a vision---a committment---a different perspective. If you people would listenb to me---you have given this position to people who have no current foreign experience at all----I would say that this time this position should go to a capable pakistani with a current foreign permanent place of residence.

We had inducted a whole bunch of TTs who seem to have gone AWOL.

Anyways, I never look at a person's title when reading their post. There is nothing stopping people, TT or not, junior or senior, new or reborn, from setting an example by writing articles, engaging in knowledge-based debate, or whatever else they feel is the mark of a valued member.

If this results in the shuffling of ranks, then so be it.

Hi,

Both the TT chair and VC have been worthless---I wrote to them awhile ago and asked them why they have taken up this position---they never replied to me---.

I am very disappointed at you two guys ( thgough it may mean nothing to you )---you two should have refused the selection---and specially the jobs that you two have---you are trained to lead from the front---then what happened over here..

This position needs leadership---a vision---a committment---a different perspective. If you people would listenb to me---you have given this position to people who have no current foreign experience at all----I would say that this time this position should go to a capable pakistani with a current foreign permanent place of residence.

The place of residence or its permanence is immaterial.

The ability to think, to engage and to lead, now those are the important considerations.

We had inducted a whole bunch of TTs who seem to have gone AWOL.

Anyways, I never look at a person's title when reading their post. There is nothing stopping people, TT or not, junior or senior, new or reborn, from setting an example by writing articles, engaging in knowledge-based debate, or whatever else they feel is the mark of a valued member.

If this results in the shuffling of ranks, then so be it.

What is the mark of a valued member? That is something that the forum management needs to decide and then act accordingly. It is not just the TTs that are missing in action, the presence and the standards of moderation can be improved tremendously too.
@Aeronaut @nuclearpak or any other Mod: Please approve this post.

The problem with the TTs have to do with the inherent nature of an Internet forum. There is no accountability and it isn't a job that one has to perform at or risk losing his livelihood. On the Internet, one is free to come and go as he pleases. A large number of members sign up monthly and disappear after 6 months. It follows then that some of these members are very sophisticated and articulate and get voted into the TT. What doesn't change is the fickle nature of Internet hobbies. With so much to do and discover, members of all types (think tanks and trolls alike) eventually lose interest and move on. To change the system, we are essentially requiring PDF to become a crucial part of the lives of members. Only then will they see it as their duty to post constantly and remain visible. That is, frankly, asking for the near impossible.

Now, on the other hand, some TTs have been active for years and have been so while contributing regularly. But they are the exceptions and deserve our gratitude for taking time out of their busy lives to enrich the knowledge pool of this forum. But for the vast majority of members, without any reward or influence on their livelihoods, this forum is a means to pass time and/or debate when the mood presents itself. Much like a person who loves reading can only do so when circumstances allow, we cannot force greater involvement from TTs simply because they may not have the time to give.

I may be the very representation of this problem, since I hardly ever post. But for some of us, what made us good members is knowing our limitations. I spend hours reading on this forum and seldom find I have any thing really worthwhile to contribute and equally importantly, something I didn't contribute in the exact same words the day before or an hour earlier on a different topic. Quality over quantity has defined most TTs. The few who have both are rare and incredibly impressive. The only way to provide visibility and also maintain the prestige of the TTs then, is to limit them to members such as Muse, Developereo, and Oscar and their ilk. Unless the forum suddenly becomes a professional organization or can be identified with tangible rewards and genuine prestige in real life, members will always see it only as a hobby. And I say this as a person who takes this forum quite seriously, but also as someone who is a part of the problem.

The place of residence or its permanence is immaterial.

The ability to think, to engage and to lead, now those are the important considerations.

Hi,

If you don't have any exposure to the world first hand---you really have very little ability to engage and lead.

When I was a member of Think Tank many a years ago---when this discussion started for TT chair person---I suggested that the initially there must be a 3 month rotation---and then pickup the guy most suitable---but no---Fatman17 wanted a 2 years term right from day one----.

And the powers to be---in their in-experience fell for that ruse---so right from start---the TT chair person never contributed any thing of his own---. And then we had Vice chair TT---a retired aged gen of pak air force---and we have respect for him---but again no leading from the front capability---.

Both these guys were chair and vice chair TT of this board at the most crucial period in pakistan's history---and tragically the powers to be failed the nation and these guys miserably failed their position---.

Now we have two active serving members at TT chair and vice---what I want to ask you current TT guys----how could you do that---what were you thinking of.

Webby---you need to terminate the in-active TT members---and you don't need to give them any warning either. Stop living the SOB STORY OF PAKISTAN---' give them one more chance '---aik dafa aur samjhao---.

In every successful community---there is a distinction of heirarchy---each person has his place---for that reason---in any discussion it is of utmost importance to know who you are speaking to---age---job and experience.

Internet fora are like that, as Pfpilot has described so neatly, they ebb and flow. Largely, this tidal movement is composed of the movement of prolific writers in and out. It is quite common, if the other fora I frequently habit are any guide, to have several prolific writers absent themselves at one and the same time, and the forum comes to low tide. The opposite happens, too, naturally; several members coming on board at the same time results in a marked increase in volume, and in correspondence, and in comment.

It isn't serious. We may expect a sudden spike in the near future, and things will be back to normal.

Just my tuppence.

Internet fora are like that, as Pfpilot has described so neatly, they ebb and flow. Largely, this tidal movement is composed of the movement of prolific writers in and out. It is quite common, if the other fora I frequently habit are any guide, to have several prolific writers absent themselves at one and the same time, and the forum comes to low tide. The opposite happens, too, naturally; several members coming on board at the same time results in a marked increase in volume, and in correspondence, and in comment.

It isn't serious. We may expect a sudden spike in the near future, and things will be back to normal.

Just my tuppence.

Hi,

The chairperson of TT is basically committed to this one forum----. This it---that is why he has taken up this position---and not to meander around every where else.

If you don't have the committment then don't take this position. A 50000 strong membership board deserves better.

Back
Top Bottom