What's new

TTP Offers Conditional Ceasefire to Govt Of Pakistan

@haviZsultan

What people on the Pakistani side of the LoC consider themselves is quite complex, most do, in my experience though, want an independent Kashmir but aren't hostile to Pakistan as a nation state. It is a complex issue - cultural ties do exist, but there is no 'once' culture in South Asia, after all (unless we talk about IDC).

Don't be too mean to Luffy, though, he provides me with some great ":rofl:" entertainment, a jester is a prized possession of the court. :P
@Armstrong

There is no such thing as an ethnic Kashmiri, dear ;) Kashmir is more than just the valley, it's the literalistic embodiment of a collective struggle for 200 years :) I think Jinnah would have been contempt with an independent Kashmir ruled with freedom and equality - I like to think that the fabric of Kashmir is what Jinnah always aspired to: cultural and religious harmony in a progressive environment. But that's for another time.

It's not just about closure for the older generation, a lot of my family's older generation was oppressed during the Maharaja's rule and participated in the uprising, it's about giving closure to the current generation being exterminated across the LoC, honouring the sacrifice of martryrs who rose up without an organised military or political establishment and giving the Kashmiris of tomorrow a life without the horrors of war and ethnic/class struggle.

Last edited by a moderator:
It can't happen yaar. Guy in Azad Kashmir assures me... vote for it now... we Azad Kashmiris will go with Pakistan. Its on the Indian side where people mainly want independence and in Jammu and Ladakh want to remain in India. There a poll shows 87% of Kashmiris want freedom. I should have asked the fellow if he would still go for Pakistan if there was an option of Kashmir, both Pakistani administered and IOK coming together as one. But I think we nationalists lack a proper effort in Kashmiri. Time to set up a branch in Muzaffarabad.

Kashmiri nationalist still has to decide how he will deal with this difference in wishes between Pakistan side and the Indian side. Not each Kashmiri wants the same thing. Major issue... proven to be true with Pashtuns too, both Afghan and Pakistani.

Indeed, this is why I at one side of myself don't want to get too political on the issue, but on the other want to - to bring Kashmiris together. The separation of Ladakh and Jammu is something that greatly pains me because people still think along ethnic and religious lines, and not on collective lines; the reason for the pro-India sentimentality in these regions is not neccessarily due to religion, but due to the fact that these regions, to my knowledge, were 'well off' - that is, the Hindu and Sikh majorities here, while Hari Singh and his predecessors kept the muslims oppressed. In such situations it is easier for the human mind to fathom undivided hate than see past the lines our oppressors wish us to see.

It would be interesting in what your friend thinks of an independent Kashmir, though. If you want a better insight, that will be more of use to you than the usual to-and-fro on the issue, ask what he thinks of the politicians in AJK, elections and parties. He will either be for and Independent Kashmir, or against. Personally, I'm always a bit split, but am of the opinion that we must take into consideration of the sentimentalities of our minorities and not just cast them away to the wolves - that would be a service to our feudal masters, not our freedom fighters.

But if there was a plebiscite along UN lines (Pakistan or India) I can say unflinchingly I would vote for Pakistan.

It can't happen yaar. Guy in Azad Kashmir assures me... vote for it now... we Azad Kashmiris will go with Pakistan. Its on the Indian side where people mainly want independence and in Jammu and Ladakh want to remain in India. There a poll shows 87% of Kashmiris want freedom. I should have asked the fellow if he would still go for Pakistan if there was an option of Kashmir, both Pakistani administered and IOK coming together as one. But I think we nationalists lack a proper effort in Kashmiri. Time to set up a branch in Muzaffarabad.

Kashmiri nationalist still has to decide how he will deal with this difference in wishes between Pakistan side and the Indian side. Not each Kashmiri wants the same thing. Major issue... proven to be true with Pashtuns too, both Afghan and Pakistani.

Aren't you guys a confused lot?

You are quite different kashmiri, perhaps because you are settled in lahore. We have lot of kashmiris in ayub medical complex, they are critical of pakistan and talks of independant kashmir.

Not only that I identify with Punjab more than I ever could with Kashmir & yet I am mindful of my 'roots'. And whereas I may not speak koshur nor do I prescribe to Kashmiri culture per se; I am still an ethnic Kashmiri by blood & identification even within Punjab.

My Pro-Pakistan stance lies in my undying love & admiration for Muhammad Ali Jinnah & the sense of privilege I feel in calling myself a 'Pakistani' ! My Grandpa, who was 33 at the time of the Partition, went from being a political worker of the Congress to being a die-hard supporter of the Quaid after the Congress ministries period of '36 *I think*. By the way his Mom was a Pashtun lady. :D

You are quite different kashmiri, perhaps because you are settled in lahore. We have lot of kashmiris in ayub medical complex, they are critical of pakistan and talks of independant kashmir.

Off Topic but want to ask:
You mention Ayub Medical Complex? So you live in Abbottabad? I spent some time in your lovely city during the 2005 earthquake bringing the critically injured form Shinkiri, Balakot and Battagram. Some of my relatives lived near Taj Mahal Cinema.

@Kashmiri Nationalist: Could we have a discussion else where on the issue of Kashmir`s independence? I'd like to present a few points. Its getting way too off topic here.

It is interesting to note that Kashmiris sided with sikhs against their muslim Afghan rulers. Jab sikh qabiz howay tab inhe pata chala k ye unho ne kia blunder kar dia.

@Armstrong

There is no such thing as an ethnic Kashmiri, dear ;) Kashmir is more than just the valley, it's the literalistic embodiment of a collective struggle for 200 years :) I think Jinnah would have been contempt with an independent Kashmir ruled with freedom and equality - I like to think that the fabric of Kashmir is what Jinnah always aspired to: cultural and religious harmony in a progressive environment. But that's for another time.

It's not just about closure for the older generation, a lot of my family's older generation was oppressed during the Maharaja's rule and participated in the uprising, it's about giving closure to the current generation being exterminated across the LoC, honouring the sacrifice of martryrs who rose up without an organised military or political establishment and giving the Kashmiris of tomorrow a life without the horrors of war and ethnic/class struggle.

An ethnic Kashmiri, as in, a Buttt ! This isn't a Punjabi, Sindhi or even a caste native to Azad Kashmir but it originates from the Kashmir Valley !

And there is an 'ethnic Kashmir' & then there is a 'geographical Kashmir' just like there are ethnicities which are traditionally thought of as being 'Punjabis' & then there is a geographical & linguistic identification with 'Punjab' !

And surely you mean 'content' ! :blink:

Quaid-e-Azam was even content with an independent Hyderabad so I dunno if he'd object to an independent Kashmir; he was a democrat after all ! But what I said was my personal opinion - I would never be able to reconcile on a personal level with an independent Kashmir; I just love Pakistan too much to entertain that thought ! But of course its the will & wants of the people of Kashmir that matters.

@haviZsultan @Armstrong

Kashmiri Nationalism is something that I always feel is more patriotism than nationalism. Regarding those Kashmiris that wish a merger with Pakistan, they are the same to me as those that want an independent Kashmir. More of my patrioism is based on self-determination than a burning desire for an independent Kashmiri nation (the will of the Kashmiri people as a collective is what comes first, our individual -isms and exploitation by barons and leaders is what has led us to this mess today), so to summarise, which is quite a bit harder, I have two beliefs:

1. Self-determination for the the Kashmiri people (with an option for an independent Kashmir).
2. An Independent Kashmir is perhaps, the best option amicable to all sides, due to not wanting to marginalise or alienate non-Muslim Kashmiris and naturally, it is the best 'workable' solution.
2.2 This ties in to '2', any solution, including self-determination, must come from Kashmiris and not the outside. For too long we have allowed our destiny to be shaped by other people.

Liberation is not only breaking the shackles of oppression, but also what is in my signature - education and the eradication of close-minded mentalities.
I wonder how many people from United Kingdom call themselves Scottish nationalists, Northern Irish nationalists, or Welsh nationalists rather than British, especially considering their history against England. They will still think of themselves as U.K. nationals and not "nationalists".
With all due disrespect, your rant regarding " azadi,azadi,azadi" by others on this forum is rather disappointing considering the only reason its called "azad khasmir" is because it is actually free, or i wonder if "Kashmiris" would rather call it Pakistan occupied Kashmir as India claims. I wonder what your assessment is regarding Jammu or you feel they are getting a good deal.
I grew up from an early age with so called Kashmiris in my town and let me tell you they have this thing engraved in their minds that Kashmiri blood is pure and rest of us are low in caste or something. I am from Punjab Originally and a Jat (which for your knowledge means ZAMEEN DAR, which ofcourse means land owners who work on their lands). As you will agree with me that most Kashmiris consider themselves Jats, but i cant say they own much land apart from a few hillsides. More to the point should i consider myself a Punjabi or a Jat first and a Pakistani second? You make the call.:what:

Aren't you guys a confused lot?

Currently there are 2 Kashmir's. One is Pakistani, the second is Indian. Poll was conducted in Indian Kashmir. :rolleyes:

kashmir-poll-1.jpg

Do have a look at it Kashmiri nationalist. Also the figure in Azad Kashmir. I guess you are the better person to comment on this as I still have a lot of studying to do in regard to Kashmir. The person I talked to was an acquaintance who was in the Nationalists... we guys tend to favor everything Pakistani so you are right, I can't develop an opinion through one person.

Perhaps the situation in Pakistan does not inspire confidence. India won people of Jammu and Ladakh. We had enough time to win Azad Kashmir. 48% figure depresses me... but we must remember its from an Indian source.

P>S>edit! I was wondering it says 48% for Pakistan urban-does that mean the survey was taken in Azad Kashmir or in Pakistan-as in all of Pakistan? Confused!

I don't see how he's different, he simply supports a different political settlement from the one you've encountered among Kashmiris. Only a very, very, very small (and I have yet to meet one and doubt ever will) Kashmiri has ill-intent against Pakistan, disassociation, perhaps, but you make it seem Kashmiris are out for Pakistan's blood. If that was the case then many would not be serving in Pakistan's front-lines so valiantly.

I wonder how many people from United Kingdom call themselves Scottish nationalists, Northern Irish nationalists, or Welsh nationalists rather than British, especially considering their history against England. They will still think of themselves as U.K. nationals and not "nationalists".
With all due disrespect, your rant regarding " azadi,azadi,azadi" by others on this forum is rather disappointing considering the only reason its called "azad khasmir" is because it is actually free, or i wonder if "Kashmiris" would rather call it Pakistan occupied Kashmir as India claims. I wonder what your assessment is regarding Jammu or you feel they are getting a good deal.
I grew up from an early age with so called Kashmiris in my town and let me tell you they have this thing engraved in their minds that Kashmiri blood is pure and rest of us are low in caste or something. I am from Punjab Originally and a Jat (which for your knowledge means ZAMEEN DAR, which ofcourse means land owners who work on their lands). As you will agree with me that most Kashmiris consider themselves Jats, but i cant say they own much land apart from a few hillsides. More to the point should i consider myself a Punjabi or a Jat first and a Pakistan second. You make the call.:what:

Off Topic but...

English nationalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Irish War of Independence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Welsh nationalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Scottish independence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Furthermore:
An opinion poll commissioned by BBC Scotland has shown a clear majority (58%) of Scots want a referendum on independence next year.
BBC NEWS | UK | Scotland | Scots 'want an independence vote'

Talk of independence is growing – and the referendum in Scotland in 2014 is eagerly awaited. But could Wales really break free from England – and stand on its own?
Could Wales leave the United Kingdom? | UK news | The Guardian

------------------
Now coming back to the topic at hand.

This is nothing more than a stalling tactic by the Taliban and we really should read too much into it.

I agree. Its a huge error. You can never play with your people like that and you should never interfere in another country unless there is a very solid gain for you. I could comment on this further... but the thing is I have done so on multiple occasions and I usually look at the final result. Its a bygone... but we can salvage something from here.

I thank you Secur. The change started when I saw Altaf's speech. I still identified strongly as a Mahajir at that time, but I was a Nationalist even then... maybe much stronger and more emotional than I am now. When I saw that speech on partition I nearly cried. I wanted to break the laptop screen. That was the start of a marked change. You can check my 2007-08 posts... I would be sympathetic to MQM and ethnic politics. After that ethnic politics and those who divided my people became an enemy.

I agree. Its fairly easy to use tribal cohesiveness to form a movement. People are loyal to their tribe and eventually some flock to it just because its about their tribe... some are criminals by nature. I include one such person in my book which is set in Ladha, SW

But the thing is my book tries to promote the other side actually-which is the side of Pashtuns as not just what we hear on the news (terrorists) but as the victims... look at things from the narrative of the local people.

See in a region where GDP per capita... these tribals are ready to fight for us. They liberated 3/5th of Kashmir which is now Pakistani Kashmir but the issue is when a region is deprived, the unemployment and illiteracy rate as I demonstrated before is extremely low... how can we not expect this exact same thing to happen? There are no jobs. Its like Congo/Zaire man. You pay someone $200 monthly they will surely join you.

I believe there is a foreign hand or a hand of someone very powerful is involved... but I am a liberal. When I say this among other liberals (being a Nationalist I don't always just like ramming the blame onto ISI without proof) they just laugh, so I usually don't say it. Next I will prove why I believe so

The moment we criticize US policy the hawks jump at us even though I am sitting in another country but they can't stop the Taliban? Are they trying to tell us they can't stop these people? In this article I outlined many things and with a team struggled for months to figure out their finances. But the thing is my paper has no value... no one will believe it. I can keep working for my country but is there any opportunity for me?

I could think of more ideas but I usually think when I know those ideas will get somewhere. I just feel useless when I know I am just a plastic soldier with no value. I thank you Secur and am glad to know you, @A.Rafay, @Hyperion, @Armstrong, @Andromache @AstanoshKhan and many good people are on defence.pk.

Also by saying no one could control the tribals... I meant by force! I am basically a person who receives information from a number of sources who are in Waziristan or the tribal areas, I filter it with my nationalism but there are some people who have stories... they say we always were loyal to Pakistan...never sided with the Taliban and our homes were destroyed. And 80% of these take place during artillery bombardment and airstrikes which I really believe have the potential to make us lose this war. :angry:

I am with the army 100% secur... but you see its not helping win the war if we by mistake hit Taliban. We have also blown up the main market of Makeen 3 times. For what? its collective punishment to the local people, the villagers. We can't be oblivious to this. Patriotism doesn't mean we ignore things like this.

Secur, the ways of the tribals are different. But we Pakistanis are a federation. I am not by birth a Pashtun... our family would piss everywhere in fear if they even saw a Wazir marriage-even the Attan is firing everywhere :lol:. We are very meek people. But I understand that the only way is to love our people and respect them and the culture... if I adopt another culture, khair de! I will build unity... and i love Pashtuns too!

Yes , the greatest blunder made in the history of country , honestly ! You dont manipulate your whole population with lies and propaganda just so you can fulfill the agendas of a few and prolong your rule ... We shouldn't have involved ourselves in a world domination struggle between two super powers ... What benefit did it provide to us ? A few F16's and infectious AID ! :azn: .... You are right though , what is done , is done , we need to look at the future , rectify our mistakes and take this country to prosperity , not extremism !

I do not know what took you so long to realize that but such was always known about that traitor that he despised the creation of Pakistan ... I mean , there were some very genuine reports about his party's involvement in creation of Jinnahpur or whatever fancy name he gave it ... The MQM is nothing but a groups of " armed goons " and mafia ( involved in every single crime you name it ) supported by sadly mistaken Muhajirs again due to our negligence ... I used to be like that too , but I after wards realized that there is no benefit in associating yourself with your ethnicity first rather than country because when an enemy attacks you , he doesn't ask your race , he attacks you because of the nationality ... Unfortunately , such ethnicity and " divide and rule " technique is the cornerstone of politics and the declared policy of almost every single party functioning in the country ... I really hope that some day my brethren realize that casting your vote on ethnic ground is futile , rather support the one who can take the country to the right path regardless of these ...

If people are die hard loyal to their tribe , cant we use this to our benefit ? Use them to work for the country and integrate them with the rest of society ... I can understand the " victim " side of the picture , but an army fighting such a long war with an unknown will make mistakes , not that they would bomb/kill their countrymen intentionally ... I hope that better intelligence , resources and identification will prevent this in the future ... But still you are right , there's no denial it has happened and resulted in TTP getting sympathy from the tribals to convince them that somehow the army is the enemy ... Unemployment and illiteracy of course can make people very vulnerable to getting to do anything for even a minute amount of money , I agree ... These tribals responded to the call of Jinnah when Gracy disobeyed a direct order and despite heavy odds , liberated what we call Northern Areas and Azad Kashmir today ... Pakistan needs to develop these regions better so these tribes prosper , after all FATA is a part of Islamic Republic of Pakistan and the people , our people ...

I myself strongly belief that some foreign hand is indeed involved in the funding and training of these militant outfits because of their expensive toys and the training that has been observed in the battlefield lately ... Many Pakistani commanders have spoken about it , also the origin of the weapon recovered gives weight to this theory and its not something unlikely or in the realm of fiction , why wouldn't an enemy want to destabilize Pakistan and what easier way to accomplish would that be ? Just pay , train and provide weapons to these brainwashed Jihadists and convince them through their leaders ( who are a part of the conspiracy ) that indeed blowing themselves is a service to religion and harms the infidel Pakistan Army ... Now the Govt has been really silent about this , which I hate the most ... Because they need to come out in the open , provide the evidence that we have gathered and confront the perpetrators at UNO ! ...

Actually , it appears quite strange that even after 10 years of coalition efforts , these militant outfits and factions control majority of the Afghanistan , can cross Durand Line at will and launch attacks at Pakistan's regions from there ... When you have the most powerful army on earth , these things are unimaginable that you weren't able to clear this menace even after a decade ... The total coalition's causalities in the War on Terror is < 5000 while the same for Pakistan exceeds 40,000 ... What is the reason behind that ? Is US unwilling to fight ? Where does the money for the Taliban come from ? They aren't fighting for free , no one does except a patriot ! Or does US has some other agenda in mind which has nothing to do with combating terrorists and the very extremist ideology which we created ourselves by " importing a certain rigid and wrong interpretation of the religion " that we claim to follow ? ... Is the US now using it to its advantage since they have got nothing to lose by abandoning the country ? Only the neighbors of that country will have to suffer from the civil war that will start in Afghanistan for dominance and rise to power after 2014 ... Why do you think that the " human ideas " , " critical thinking " and " reasoning " doesn't have any value , mate ? :what: These very things are what bring change into the society ... That is what great nations do to analyze their policy and strategy , correct their errors and mistakes and set course to right !
I think its easy to look down on FATA people... when they were fighting for us they became assets... now that their regions are the heart of the Taliban they become a headache. I suggest:
1) Development in FATA, basically this is the game-changer. Employment opportunities and literacy will automatically improve things.
2) End of the FCR-short for Frontier Crimes Regulation which holds an entire tribe responsible for the action of few miscreants. What this is doing is allowing a person to go to Bannu kidnap people and then escape any punishment just by paying part of the ransom money he receives. To FATIAN's its a negative too because basically there have been times when the army has razed entire villages based on this old British era law because they found a suicide jacket factory. In FATA because of the tradition of Badal-which means revenge you can't do this. Internecine warfare between locals is extremely common here.
3) Political parties being allowed to operate openly and FATA people being allowed to develop a party of their own.
4) Stop keeping FATA off-limits. Even westerners can get there more easily. (We should have done this before though because now its much more unsafe)
5) Urbanization... there was a bill signed and Khar in Bajaur was chosen as a location... basically look at the Zimbabwe example... many scattered communities with a low population in scattered, remote villages. They moved them to places where they could more easily provide basic facilities.

Now these are great practical solutions to the problems that we are facing within the tribal areas ... We do not need to use them as " assets " , we recognize that mistake of ours but rather use them as " a group working for the country " ...

Fortunately , you aren't a plastic soldier ... Only by understanding can there be recovery ... Which is exactly what we do in this forums ... We are ready to accept our mistakes , talk amongst ourselves and awaken the silent majority that has suffered for so long now ! :(

Sorry , I took it the wrong way ... I thought they cant be controlled by any means ... Note that controlling doesn't mean bringing them to submission but into the very fabrics of Pakistani society ... I can understand these are true stories , the tribals aren't lying in such case , even the forces have admitted and repeatedly apologized ... I am sure they also hide some to control the anger of the public , non-combatants are sometimes killed mistakenly , their homes destroyed/damaged and that is translating into more recruitments for the Taliban ... Mate , first of all , we need to abolish this fucked up FCR which contains some ancient things like " collective punishment " ! What the hell that is , I have heard for the first time here ... I usually heard on TV that a jirga has taken place , deciding that those who give refuge to militant , their houses will be razed but this really is something new for me and unacceptable ! :angry: ... Patriotism shouldn't be blind , never !

I agree , brother ... Pakher Raghle ! :D

I don't see how he's different, he simply supports a different political settlement from the one you've encountered among Kashmiris. Only a very, very, very small (and I have yet to meet one and doubt ever will) Kashmiri has ill-intent against Pakistan, disassociation, perhaps, but you make it seem Kashmiris are out for Pakistan's blood. If that was the case then many would not be serving in Pakistan's front-lines so valiantly.

They do "gilay shikway" and sound more like ungrateful.

I grew up from an early age with so called Kashmiris in my town and let me tell you they have this thing engraved in their minds that Kashmiri blood is pure and rest of us are low in caste or something. I am from Punjab Originally and a Jat (which for your knowledge means ZAMEEN DAR, which ofcourse means land owners who work on their lands). As you will agree with me that most Kashmiris consider themselves Jats, but i cant say they own much land apart from a few hillsides. More to the point should i consider myself a Punjabi or a Jat first and a Pakistani second? You make the call.:what:

I'm quite surprised that you think most Brits consider themselves Brits. They're Brits by citizenship, sure, but most of the consider themselves English, Scottish, Irish or Welsh. Even the British far right is composed mostly of regional 'nationalists' (the BNP is interesting, but imo, it's an English phenomenon).

I've never actually encountered Kashmiris that consider their own blood pure, sure there's some that take pride in being a lot of pride in being Jatt but even that from my own experience is part of their identity and history than anything more (being from Kashmir takes precedence over this).

See my above posts on Kashmiri Muslims, it was practically slavery. Not all Jatts own land and there is only a very small minority in present day AJK/G&B that don't own land. It depends on the culture of feudalism in their particular locality and their cultural heritage, I guess.

And no, the rants and chants of "Azadi" aren't for AJK; Azadi means freedom. AJK isn't as free as people think it is (wide spread election rigging, etc) politically, but it's not really occupied either, that's why I refer to Pakistan territories of Kashmir as Pakistan-held Kashmir and don't use the 'occupied' alternative, as that would be incorrect.

I don't know what you should consider yourself, certainly, if I wasn't born in Kashmir, I'd consider myself Pakistani firstly and foremost (after being human of course, you're not some Martian from outer space). The point I think you're trying to make is that Kashmir is another ethnic title and through that, weaken the argument for the struggle for freedom - but it isn't.

Back
Top Bottom