What's new

Truss says Falklands part of ‘British family’ after China backs Argentina

I am surprised at the amount of people commenting here who are probably British citizens who are taking the Argentine side here.

Falklands had no native population before the Europeans settled it in the 18th century and anyway Argentines are themselves colonial settlers from Spain and Italy mainly.

We should all support the UK here as it is just respecting the rights of the population of the Falklands to stay under British administration.

I am surpriosed at the amount of people commenting here who are probably British citizens who are taking the Argentine side here.

Falklands had no native population before the Europeans settled it in the 18th century and anyway Argentines are themselves colonial settlers from Spain and Italy mainly.

We should all support the UK here as it is just respecting the rights of the population of the Falklands to stay under British administration.
Anglophobia

To be fair, the brits are wrong here, and chinese are right.

One of the rare occurances where chinese government has a reasonable stand.

Anglophobia

These claims of colonialism from Argentina are totally and utter farcical as they themselves are colonialists from Europe.

Since there was no landing, let alone a settlement on the Falklands before the first Europeans(French) in the 18th Century, even an Argentina that was mainly native Red Indian would have a hard time claiming the islands as their own.

Agreed. Falklands will remain British. A pal from school saw action in Falkands. At a moe practical level something all Britons here should note. If natural resources are found we all will benefit. I never understand why people who live in Britain would want to sink the ship they live in.

Agreed. Falklands will remain British. A pal from school saw action in Falkands. At a moe practical level something all Britons here should note. If natural resources are found we all will benefit. I never understand why people who live in Britain would want to sink the ship they live in.
Self hating and self loathing is being promoted by MSM all the time. The times where you could be proud of something are long gone - if you are proud of something, someone somewhere will be offended by it.

Salaam

Bro, is this a Chinese idiom or english? I can sort of understand what it means but could you please still explain? Thanks.

This is a Chinese folk proverb, basic common sense learned after a painful experience.

I mean the UK will know after a painful experience that China has the means to fight back.

The West should recall China in the Mao era and then think about how to get along with China.

Agreed. Falklands will remain British. A pal from school saw action in Falkands. At a moe practical level something all Britons here should note. If natural resources are found we all will benefit. I never understand why people who live in Britain would want to sink the ship they live

Exactly.

We all have an interest in a prosperous UK and if the Argentines want the islands let them stop whining and try to take it from the UK by force.

They know that they have blown their chance forever by trying to take the Falklands by force in 1982. No UK government could even think about even having discussions about sovereignty of the Falklands after what happened in 1982.

It was decided for good in a fair fight in 1982 and the Argentines can be proud that their airforce fought bravely but they lost the war and should just accept the reality and move on.

Also they forget that with current international treaties if China or any other country was to arm Argentina, it will take more than a decade for them to come up to a standard to pose any meaningful threat, Argentina AF and Army used to be good they had decent exposure and equipment at their disposal. Years of financial ruin has dented this and it will take time to recover, Argentina cannot sustain such a rampant increase in military spend so China will have to bankroll them.

A few expensive toys will not do much, specially when the other country - in this case UK can actually hit mainland Argentina without being anywhere near Falklands.
Who cares. We just want to support Argentina and sell them weapon,build infrastructure for them. As for how and could they actually take the island back is not our concern at least for now. But if the relationship between china and UK get worse,then we might do something more for them.

Back
Top Bottom