What's new

Trump says US military will not allow transgender people to serve

Devil Soul

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Trump says US military will not allow transgender people to serve
The president tweeted that the military ‘cannot be burdened with the tremendous medical costs and disruption’ of having transgender member
Donald Trump said on Wednesday he would not allow transgender individuals to serve in the US military in any capacity.

The US president tweeted: “After consultation with my Generals and military experts, please be advised that the United States Government will not accept or allow ... transgender individuals to serve in any capacity in the U.S. Military.”

He added: “Our military must be focused on decisive and overwhelming ... victory and cannot be burdened with the tremendous medical costs and disruption that transgender in the military would entail.”

Trump’s decision marks a sharp reversal of a policy initiated under Barack Obama, in which the Pentagon ended a longtime ban on transgender people from serving openly in the military.

As a candidate, Trump cast himself as a supporter of LGBT rights and indicated he would uphold certain Obama-era policies designed to protect transgender people.

But upon taking office, Trump rescinded the Obama administration’s guidance requiring public schools to allow transgender students to use the bathroom of their choice.

The president lifted the guidance in February, despite saying during his campaign that transgender people should use “whatever bathroom they feel is appropriate”.

His move on Wednesday comes a year after Pentagon officials lifted the ban on transgender service under Obama. In June of last year, then-defense secretary Ashton Carter announced that any transgender people already serving in the armed forced could serve openly “effective immediately”.

The military would cover the medical costs of transitioning for current service members under the new policy. And new recruits could join the military 18 months after they had transitioned gender identities.

The change occurred a year after Carter ordered the Pentagon to study the potential effects of allowing transgender people to serve on the combat readiness of the armed forces. Several outside studies had already found that reversing the ban was unlikely to have a negative impact.

More details soon ...
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...gender-people-to-serve?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

A true display of the essence in the difference between 'liberalism' and 'conservatism.' The question will be how will people react. Liberals tend to protest a lot more against conservative values and ways of thinking, especially when they become implemented laws. This will trigger a major backlash, no doubt about it.

I personally think if said person is just as capable as any other soldier going trough the same tests, then there should be no problem, no matter gender, race,...

What happens to all the transgender people currently serving in the military?

What happens to all the transgender people currently serving in the military?

Before I left the Army in 2007, no transgender person is allowed to serve in the US military. Unlike Homosexual, If you are a transgender person, you either are under hormone transplant (Post Op) therapy and were excluded from service via medical, or you are a pre-op transgender and then you will fail psych evaluation.

If I understand the current law clearly, transgender are only allowed to serve after 2016 if you are a post op transgender (So you have done the gender reassignment), there are't too many of those in the military (in hundreds) and if I understand trump order exactly, those are not affected, only the one who want to join post ban is affected.

lol another great move by Trump.

if their establishment media takes this case up and argues against it ferociously like they have for virtually everything else he's done so far, their boy scouts are the new hitlerjugend etc

if they do take the bait they'll only further discredit themselves and destroy what little they have left of their credibility.. for no one but the absolute far left loons will protest this.

not when 110% of all American muslims also fully support it and will be on board the Trump train for this one.

wonder what linda sarsour has to say about it LOL

man's a fecking genius and master media manipulator, no less than Putin, who is a judo expert where they train to use their opponents mass and weight against them and topple them, he's doing exactly the same vs a more dangerous opponent, corporate media.

can't wait for the TyT analysis. :partay:

Before I left the Army in 2007, no transgender person is allowed to serve in the US military. Unlike Homosexual, If you are a transgender person, you either are under hormone transplant (Post Op) therapy and were excluded from service via medical, or you are a pre-op transgender and then you will fail psych evaluation.

If I understand the current law clearly, transgender are only allowed to serve after 2016 if you are a post op transgender (So you have done the gender reassignment), there are't too many of those in the military (in hundreds) and if I understand trump order exactly, those are not affected, only the one who want to join post ban is affected.

It says

'The military would cover the medical costs of transitioning for current service members under the new policy. And new recruits could join the military 18 months after they had transitioned gender identities.'

lol another great move by Trump.

if their establishment media takes this case up and argues against it ferociously like they have for virtually everything else he's done so far, their boy scouts are the new hitlerjugend etc

if they do take the bait they'll only further discredit themselves and destroy what little they have left of their credibility.. for no one but the absolute far left loons will protest this.

not when 110% of all American muslims also fully support it and will be on board the Trump train for this one.

wonder what linda sarsour has to say about it LOL

man's a fecking genius and master media manipulator, no less than Putin, who is a judo expert where they train to use their opponents mass and weight against them and topple them, he's doing exactly the same vs a more dangerous opponent, corporate media.

can't wait for the TyT analysis. :partay:

If you read carefully the news clearly indicates that it is not Trump's personal decision but with due consent of the Pentagon.

If you read carefully the news clearly indicates that it is not Trump's personal decision but with due consent of the Pentagon.
That's just more elbow room for him to maneuver should he need it, they are an ultra PC society after 8 years of President Barakuddin Mbangwo.

it's still a common sense move that most people will be in favour of, taxpayers having to cough up more for hijras in the army and their special needs is insane.

there was a seal team 6 special operator who underwent "gender reassignment" though

upload_2017-7-26_22-36-32.jpeg

but that was after retiring from active duty.

imo "trans" folks should be restricted to their national reserves or something and only called upon for front-line duty in times of extreme and dire need.

Yep, I see what you're saying. The interesting part is unlike homosexuality, many of these transgender individuals see it as a medical affliction, same as any other military personnel who would have any type of medical hardship. Broken arm, pregnancy, gallstones, appendicitis etc. As ridiculous as that might seem to some people, this is how they will (and already are) viewing it. Sexual orientation is classified as a separate issue and it seems Trump supports the LGBT community (at least that was his stance during the campaign loooool) so I think that's where the focus of the argument will be for the transgender people who are serving or wish to serve.

If the medical figures are low, not sure why it's a huge issue, unless of course, it's just a political ploy for diversion.

I know politicians make promises while campaigning and break some of those promises.

But Trump is well on his way to setting a record.

It seems now he basically told everyone what they wanted to hear. A con man extraordinaire.

He didn't even bother to tell the Pentagon and they were completely caught by surprise when he tweeted it out.

I honestly tried to give this guy a chance when he got elected. But he's proven to be a complete embarrassment and a clown.

It says

'The military would cover the medical costs of transitioning for current service members under the new policy. And new recruits could join the military 18 months after they had transitioned gender identities.'

The pentagon have raise this because of what they refer to as budget constrain, they do not want to provide medical treatment for Transsexual soldier to keep on their treatment during their service, which would burdened the budget, but the reality is that it would not be because while they are in service, they would have to be able to provide every soldier medical care, and if we do not expel, discharge or terminate a soldier because they got cancer, AIDS (not by sexually transmitted way because that is debatable) or other severe chronic disease, then I can't see why they are in financial strain to look after transgender people.

Yep, I see what you're saying. The interesting part is unlike homosexuality, many of these transgender individuals see it as a medical affliction, same as any other military personnel who would have any type of medical hardship. Broken arm, pregnancy, gallstones, appendicitis etc. As ridiculous as that might seem to some people, this is how they will (and already are) viewing it. Sexual orientation is classified as a separate issue and it seems Trump supports the LGBT community (at least that was his stance during the campaign loooool) so I think that's where the focus of the argument will be for the transgender people who are serving or wish to serve.

If the medical figures are low, not sure why it's a huge issue, unless of course, it's just a political ploy for diversion.

Well, all I can say is that the US Armed Force may have been stepping into the 21st century, but a lot of their view and their policy is still left at stone age, there exist a "Traditional and Conservative" top brass network that even today, we are still unable to break it and change, unlike the European Counterpart, the prestige and value still linger on in the 18th century.

This is more about what the Military Want rather than someone is being PC (either Trump or top Pentagon General) we see how "Quickly" the military resolved the don't ask, don't tell policy, and how they finally allow religious garment to be worn on top of the military uniform. If you ask me, this is not because of trump or whoever in charge of the military now (Mattis??) yes, they played a part, but in all, it was the conservative vs the liberalism.

Back
Top Bottom