What's new

Trump says US military will not allow transgender people to serve

Well, all I can say is that the US Armed Force may have been stepping into the 21st century, but a lot of their view and their policy is still left at stone age, there exist a "Traditional and Conservative" top brass network that even today, we are still unable to break it and change, unlike the European Counterpart, the prestige and value still linger on in the 18th century.

This is more about what the Military Want rather than someone is being PC (either Trump or top Pentagon General) we see how "Quickly" the military resolved the don't ask, don't tell policy, and how they finally allow religious garment to be worn on top of the military uniform. If you ask me, this is not because of trump or whoever in charge of the military now (Mattis??) yes, they played a part, but in all, it was the conservative vs the liberalism.

I thought the US blazed the trail for LGBT in the military. Are you saying the Europeans were ahead of the US military in that regard?

I thought the US blazed the trail for LGBT in the military. Are you saying the Europeans were ahead of the US military in that regard?

Nope... EU were way (WAYYYYY) ahead of the US regarding serving member LBGT policy.

Sweden, Finland, Norway never have any law banning LBGT service member, mostly due to the fact that they don't require to answer this question to serve, and from 1970s and early 1980s, when Gay and Lesbian act was decriminalize in those 3 countries, they allowed openly gay men and women to serve regardless of sexual orientation. In Norway, discrimination in armed force due to sexual preference is a crime in 2008, which mean those people are protected.

Netherland decriminalized gar and lesbian act in 1974 and since then open to LBGT Service member

Switzerland have never limited LGBT service member (the First openly Gay State since 1942) from 1942 on, Gay and Lesbian member are allowed to serve in Switzerland military (by which mean you cannot dodge the service, as Switzerland have compulsory military service, using homosexuality as a reason)

Most European country have lax rule regarding the LGBT in Military, on the other hand, the US, Some state is ahead of the other states, but federally, the only time when Federal Recognition is when Supreme Court of the US reverse the decision of a Texas Court suing LBGT under Sodomy Law, ending LGBT Ban on federal level in 2003. On the other hand, since some states are legal and other were not, the US Military (Being a federal organisation) have decreed that Homosexual person is unfit for Military Service in 10 USC 64 and outlawing any LBGT member in the US military in 1982, the decree was reversed by President Clinton in 1994 and instituted the famous "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy, which allowed LGBT to serve in US Military given you don't disclose your sexual orientation, however, LBGT acts are still considered an offence within US Military even tho they were not statewide since 1960s and federally since 2003. Public LGBT act (simple kissing to sexual relationship) would see a member of the Armed Force discharge until 2010. When the Don't ask, Don't Tell policy was reversed as well by Obama. Thus allowing openly Gay and Lesbian to serve in US Military Openly.

So yes, US is lagging quite far behind in LGBT right in the Military, I myself washout some soldier under my command because of this, most of them are faking it because they wanted out (so they don't need to go to war) but up until I left, soldier can still be prosecuted for Gay and Lesbian offence in the Military.

Back
Top Bottom