What's new

Trump confirms meeting with Imran Khan and Narendra Modi during their visit to US

PaulSimon

Reaction score
Country
India
Trump confirms meeting with Imran Khan and Narendra Modi during their visit to US

Indian and Pakistani prime ministers will visit the US to address the UN General Assembly

Published: September 18, 2019 08:18Gulf News Web Report
Pakistan urges US to do more to help end the Kashmir standoff
Dubai: In a bid to defuse the growing tension between India and Pakistan, US President Donald Trump has confirmed that he would meet both Indian and Pakistani leaders in the next few days.

He also said that “a lot of progress is being made” in defusing tensions between South Asia’s two nuclear-armed neighbours.

“I’ll see Prime Minister Modi and I will — we’ll — be meeting with (prime ministers of) India and Pakistan,” said Mr Trump, adding: “And I think a lot of progress is being made there, a lot of progress.”

According to a report carried by Dawn news, Trump made these remarks on Monday afternoon while responding to a question about a joint rally Modi and he are scheduled to address in Houston, Texas, on September 22.

Although the Indian community in the US is describing this rally as a ‘major diplomatic win’ for India, President Trump’s remarks show that the US leader is still interested in playing a mediatory role between South Asia’s two traditional rivals.

Media speculations
Trump’s announcement that he will be meeting both Indian and Pakistani leaders in the next few days confirms media speculation about an Imran-Trump meeting during the UN General Assembly (UNGA) in New York next week.

Both Pakistani and Indian prime ministers are scheduled to address the UN general Assembly on September 27.

President Trump’s UNGA schedule indicates that he could meet Prime Minister Imran on the sidelines of the general assembly while he is already scheduled to meet Modi in Houston.

Reports in the Indian media, however, suggest that Modi would prefer a proper meeting in New York or Washington, to an informal discussion during the Houston rally. This means that Trump will have two meetings with Modi within a week for talks on an issue – Kashmir – that Washington fears could lead to yet another war between India and Pakistan.

The other part of Trump’s statement – “lot of progress is being made” – indicates that the United States has stayed engaged with the two neighbours despite New Delhi’s often-stated position that it does not welcome international mediation in its disputes with Pakistan.

This follows another Trump statement last week that he’s willing to ‘help’ India and Pakistan resolve the Kashmir dispute.

US President's mediation offer
The US president first offered to mediate between India and Pakistan over the Kashmir dispute on July 22 at a joint White House news conference with Prime Minister Khan. Since then, he has repeated this offer at least twice, even though Mr Modi rejected the idea in his presence during a G7 meeting in France last month.

Tensions between India and Pakistan reached a feverish pitch on August 5, when New Delhi annexed Kashmir, revoking a constitutional guarantee that gave a special status to the disputed territory. Islamabad condemned the move as further strengthening of an illegal occupation, downgraded diplomatic ties and severed trade links with India.

The Morning and Evening Brief
A daily brief with the biggest stories of the day
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Pakistan urges US to do more to help end the Kashmir standoff
Pakistan warns international community will witness genocide of Kashmiris

Published: August 10, 2019 14:04Bloomberg
Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Imran to meet Trump twice during US visit
This would be Khan's second visit to the US

Published: September 13, 2019 08:27IANS
"Howdy Modi!" billboards go up in Houston welcoming Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi
Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan will meet US President Donald Trump twice during his visit to Washington later this month where he will also address the UN General Assembly (UNGA), a media report said on Friday.

This would be Khan's second visit to the US. In July, he held a one-on-one meeting with Trump, reports The News International.

According to his schedule, Khan will arrive in New York on September 21 to attend the 74th session of the UNGA and he will address the world community on September 27.

As per details, the Prime Minister will have his first meeting with the US President at a luncheon and another during a high tea.

https://gulfnews.com/world/asia/pak...ndra-modi-during-their-visit-to-us-1.66491649

President Trump is mediating between India and Pakistan.

As per reports the countries are close to clinching a deal.

Modi will cry for stop imran calling him facist terrorist

deal on what and please share reports

Deal on Kashmir.

India will deny US mediation and Pakistan will deny backroom talks but both US mediation and backroom talks are in full swing.

please share reports

I am trying to find that recorded video.

I saw it live on a local India channel.

Here are the details:

GB goes to Pakistan.

Jammu & Ladakh goes to India

AJK & Kashmir valley would be merged. Both Indian & Pakistani forces would be replaced by UN peace keeping forces to protect this area. This area will be given autonomy for 15 years after which a referendum would be conducted for them to chose to merge with Pakistan or merge with India or stay independent.

Deal on Kashmir.

India will deny US mediation and Pakistan will deny backroom talks but both US mediation and backroom talks are in full swing.

I am trying to find that recorded video.

I saw it live on a local India channel.

Here are the details:

GB goes to Pakistan.

Jammu & Ladakh goes to India

AJK & Kashmir valley would be merged. Both Indian & Pakistani forces would be replaced by UN peace keeping forces to protect this area. This area will be given autonomy for 15 years after which a referendum would be conducted for them to chose to merge with Pakistan or merge with India or stay independent.
i do not see Ladakh going any where without chinese approval

Modi will cry for stop imran calling him facist terrorist
1539683514a_mo1-433x295-880x495.jpg

160610-irving-trump-Goebbels-tease_x6kcmb

images
adolf-modi.jpg

modi-poster-2.jpg

They'll probably have a good ol laugh about that.

image0ef68da8-f8e6-413f-ae96-18acc5b5a02e.jpg

i do not see Ladakh going any where without chinese approval

Agreed.

This is the reason Modi revoked the J&K statehood and split the state into two Union Territories.

It is now easy in negotiations as both are directly controlled by the Modi and there is no further approval required by the state government to make the deal.

J&K would be negotiated with Pakistan which Ladakh would be negotiated with China.

Back
Top Bottom