What's new

TPP failure would cost the US trade dominance

Who is "we"? Can "you" personally vote Harper out? No? What difference does it make? What's the big whopping deal?

Let me know when you can "vote" your real boss out. Yes, your real boss, the one who pays you.

aww are you offended?

Xi Jingping is a dumbass. :)

General Secretary of the Communist Party not like a boss. I live in Vietnam and I like General Secretary of the Vietnamese Communist Party.
Very funny when have some "intelligent, honorable, strong and free" chinese people, live in china, like current china's "perfect social", but not like General Secretary of the Communist Party and call him as "commie boss".

TPP is only one in many trade agreements, which Vietnam will join. Vietnam have low level economic, so can survive in every trade agreements, of course at begin will be low in the supply chain.

there's nothing wrong with people liking or disliking their government or leaders. and this has little to do with intelligence or honor. being able to dislike your "boss" may actually show some freedom, if you ask me.

as for TPP, it could be both good and bad. open market and free trade usually promote overall efficiency, but not necessarily for a particular participant. the risk is that local companies may not be able to survive the competition, and lose market and revenue to foreign players. so, it comes down to what specific deals can be made. the exit of Philippine might have said something.

_86342584_029821896-1.jpg

Image copyrightGetty/Pool
Image caption"Indonesia intends to join the TPP" said Mr Widodo in the Oval Office, through a translator
Indonesia's president says his country will join the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal, but cuts short his US visit to deal with Indonesia's worsening haze situation.

Joko Widodo made the comments to US President Obama at the White House.

Indonesia, south-east Asia's largest economy with a population of 250 million, will join 12 countries in the world's largest free trade area.

But forest fires there have sent a smoky haze across the entire region.

_86342595_029793954-1.jpg

Image copyrightAFP
Image captionIndonesia is among the countries worst affected by the haze, even though it is also the cause of it
President Widodo discussed the haze situation as well as climate change with President Obama.

He linked climate change to the crisis - even though the Indonesian fires are started deliberately - as weather conditions have been drier than usual.

The TPP has been seen by some as an attempt to counterbalance growing Chinese economic influence in the region, but it has come under fire both from the political left and from economic nationalists, who claim it undermines labour rights and national sovereignty.

Joko Widodo says Indonesia will join TPP free trade deal - BBC News

Does Indonesia currently have a FTA with China?

I am not sure TPP will benevit indonesia, perhaps we should wait and see, 3-5 years and then decide wether we should join or not

My prediction was right.

@madokafc @Indos

Of course USA wants Indonesia to be included, I cannot comment on this one though since it needs thorough analysis to determine whether it will be beneficial or not for us economically. What I can make sure on this is that it is not a political move at all from our side, but rather an economical one.

I haven't read any US statements saying they support indonesian wish to join TPP. Besides, as founding member, we have veto power.

Lol, you sure a funny guy, you better go and wank your self mate
Why are you laughing? that is fact. It is your president who says his country wants to join TPP. No existing member voices supporting your bid. Forget Vietnam. We will never support you.

Besides, how about tackling your domestic issues first? the forest fire is getting out of control. And you are so helpless. so desperate. Usually I don't care, but the haze is coming as far as Vietnam.

Why are you laughing? that is fact. It is your president who says his country wants to join TPP. No existing member voices supporting your bid. Forget Vietnam. We will never support you.

Besides, how about tackling your domestic issues first? the forest fire is getting out of control. And you are so helpless. so desperate. Usually I don't care, but the haze is coming as far as Vietnam.
Lol, you hint that indonesia have to beg for tpp membership to vietnam...!! Get a grip, i am sure the big countries in tpp like america and japan will support indonesia if we ever submit membership in Tpp, indonesia is too big and lucrative for them, vietnam is nothing.

Last edited:
There's no existing TPP member voicing objection either. Not even Vietnam, of course what viet member think in this forum have no weight whatsoever over this matter. Possibility of Indonesia joining TPP is interesting. Obama offered Indonesia to Join TPP few years ago, but Mr.SBY reject his offer. Looks like the new administration take a different approach toward TPP. We'll see...

Jokowi`s United States visit attracts concrete investment: Minister
Selasa, 27 Oktober 2015 22:18 WIB | 738 Views

Washington DC (ANTARA News) - Indonesian President Joko Widodos (Jokowis) visit to the United States has drawn concrete investment, according to Foreign Affairs Minister Retno L.P. Marsudi.

Marsudi held a press conference at the Blair House in Washington D.C. on Monday evening to discuss the outcome of Jokowis meeting with businesspersons from the United States grouped in the US Chamber of Commerce.

"I would like to say that President Jokowis visit to the United States has yielded concrete results in the form of business deals and has helped to gain the confidence of the United States private sector for the economic policies being implemented by the president," Marsudi remarked.

She explained that President Jokowi met businesspersons from the United States to witness the signing of business deals, to have a round table discussion, to hold a reception for representatives from some 100 private sector companies from the United States and Indonesia, and to attend a gala dinner hosted by the US Chamber of Commerce.

"Everything ran smoothly and yielded good results. The president held talks with representatives of the private sector, and the United States has highly lauded the policies adopted by President Jokowi," she affirmed.

The minister stated that six business deals were announced, and 12 business deals were signed, with a total value of over US$20 billion. (*)

Jokowi`s United States visit attracts concrete investment: Minister - ANTARA News

even without TPP we can sign a business deal at such magnitude

GE executives meet Jokowi to continue development of power projects
Selasa, 27 Oktober 2015 22:08 WIB | 824 Views

Washington (ANTARA News) - Several executives from the US-based company General Electric (GE) met President Joko Widodo (Jokowi) to discuss their companys intent to continue the development of power projects to generate electricity in Indonesia.

Energy and Mineral Resources Minister Sudirman Said stated on Monday after a one-on-one meeting between President Jokowis officials and several Chevron executives at the Blair House that GE is one of the companies that had been operating in Indonesia since a long time.

"They (the company) have joint venture firms with the Indonesian state-owned electricity company PLN. They will continue to invest in Indonesia, particularly to develop projects to generate 35 thousand megawatts (MW) of electricity," Sudirman remarked.

He said during the meeting with Jokowi, the GE executives were led by Vice Chairman of GE John Rice. They expressed their companys interest and commitment to continue investment in Indonesia.

"There are several concrete projects, including the development of mobile power plants, with a combined capacity of 25 thousand MW, which could be installed in several regions," the minister revealed.

He noted that during a nine-month period, about 900 MW mobile power plants would be installed.

Sudirman remarked that on the same day, President Jokowi also attended the signing of business deals at the Lee Anderson Room, including the agreement between PLN and GE, among others.

Moreover, business deals between state-owned oil and gas company Pertamina and Corpus Christie Liquefaction; Saka Energy and Swift Energy; and Udayana University and SkyChaser Energy as well as the expansion plans of Phillip Morris, Coca Cola, and Cargill were also announced.(*)

GE executives meet Jokowi to continue development of power projects - ANTARA News

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom