al-Hasani

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Saudi Arabia
JEDDAH: P.K. ABDUL GHAFOUR

Published — Friday 6 December 2013

Last update 6 December 2013 12:28 am

Saudi Arabia’s tourism industry is set to receive a shot in the arm following the government’s decision to issue tourist visas for the first time to woo foreigners intending to visit its historical sites.
The Council of Ministers has entrusted the Saudi Commission for Tourism and Antiquities (SCTA) with the task of issuing tourist visas on the basis of certain regulations approved by the Ministries of Interior and Foreign Affairs.
The new tourism law aims at bringing about a qualitative improvement in the industry, which is expected to play a significant role in strengthening the economy besides creating thousands of jobs for Saudis.
“This is a very good move,” said Abdelelah Saaty, dean of the College of Business in Rabigh, while praising the efforts of the SCTA chief Prince Sultan bin Salman to boost domestic tourism. Saaty, however, pointed out that a lot more needs to be done to further strengthen the industry in terms of improving services, building facilities such as hotels and motels and training Saudis on how to handle foreign tourists.
“We should make Saudi Arabia a tourist-friendly country and people should feel it right from their arrival at the airport,” Saaty told Arab News. “We should also establish excellent service stations along our highways.”
He said most foreigners are interested in visiting historical sites and antiquities in the Kingdom. “I am happy to see that the SCTA is working to develop the historical region of Jeddah, which is one of the best tourist attractions in the city. Recently, I had taken a group of American academics to the region and they were highly impressed by it,” he said.
The new law stipulates that tourist areas are protected as public property and cannot be owned privately. It bans operators from participating in the sector without license. The SCTA has the power to penalize those who break the law, imposing fines up to SR 100,000 and cancelation of licenses.

Tourist visas to be introduced | Arab News — Saudi Arabia News, Middle East News, Opinion, Economy and more.

Time to showcase KSA and areas such as this among many, many other areas:

5840661041_dc6060caae_b.jpg

2j4eyqg.png

o5dpv9.jpg

faifa 2011
by al_gasemy, on Flickr

View over the Najran oasis
by CharlesFred, on Flickr

View . by oldwolf., on Flickr
3708908963_34dbe12a4e_b.jpg

6960693444_64e821417b_b.jpg

Saudi Arabia in Pictures | Page 44

Last edited:
@al-Hasani

It is a great news. :undecided: i am still not sure how to react to it because I received quite a few calls from back home that this time I have to take all to places apart from Medina and Mecca. Including calls from those whom i dont really like. This news did spread fast. :hitwall:

@Aamna14 @ranjeet @Wahhab2701 etc. we talked about this a few days ago and now your wishes have come true. One could wonder if some individuals in the higher positions in the KSA government were reading PDF. Or maybe they reacted to my many letters and emails (joke). :lol:

Maybe you are a government official after all or its just my sheer good luck that has made it possible for the rest as well considering how recently i wished that :D so everybody should thank me :lol:

Last edited:
we talked about this a few days ago and now your wishes have come true. One could wonder if some individuals in the higher positions in the KSA government were reading PDF. Or maybe they reacted to my many letters and emails (joke). :lol:
This is an amazing news and once again thank you for introducing this beautiful side of KSA.

Good to know this. But this is just a beginning. Further step must be taken by KSA government and community is to promote what they have for tourism. Eventhough the desert (which KSA stereotyped to) has her own beauty especially during the night, it is always good to introduce those "other part" of KSA (the greenie stuff that I like) to the world. It is a shame that 2 of my brothers currently studying is Islamic and Arabic Sciences Institute (this is a branch of Muhammad Bib Saud University set up in Jakarta) do not know this part of KSA. There are tens of KSA citizen working as lecturers in this institue but apparently they do not inform their students about those particular part of KSA. May be they have reason(s) for that, I do not know but for me it is a shame.

A friend was there for a short period, said the the country is beautiful (but kinda' expensive) :)

@al-Hasani

It is a great news. :undecided: i am still not sure how to react to it because I received quite a few calls from back home that this time I have to take all to places apart from Medina and Mecca. Including calls from those whom i dont really like. This news did spread fast. :hitwall:

Well, just tell those you don't really like that you can't take them to KSA.:lol:

Maybe you are a government official after all or its just my sheer good luck that has made it possible for the rest as well considering how recently i wished that :D so everybody should thank me :lol:

Nah, not an government official at all. Let us just say that you also played a role because if some official was reading PDF he would have come across your posts too.;)

Looks like a very nice place to visit :agree:

You are welcome.:tup:

This is an amazing news and once again thank you for introducing this beautiful side of KSA.

You are welcome as always, @ranjeet :tup:

Good to know this. But this is just a beginning. Further step must be taken by KSA government and community is to promote what they have for tourism. Eventhough the desert (which KSA stereotyped to) has her own beauty especially during the night, it is always good to introduce those "other part" of KSA (the greenie stuff that I like) to the world. It is a shame that 2 of my brothers currently studying is Islamic and Arabic Sciences Institute (this is a branch of Muhammad Bib Saud University set up in Jakarta) do not know this part of KSA. There are tens of KSA citizen working as lecturers in this institue but apparently they do not inform their students about those particular part of KSA. May be they have reason(s) for that, I do not know but for me it is a shame.

Yes, as the article states then a tourist sector must be further developed and the people would need to get comfortable with foreigners traveling around the country and visiting various places be it some mountain villages, villages in the desert, small fishing villages etc.

Yes, the promotion of the country in that regard has not been good enough but KSA has always preferred not to be spoken much about.

Well, I cannot answer why that is? Maybe they do not put that much emphasis on wordily things if they are very religious or maybe they are not from those regions? I mean KSA is a HUGE country. You know what tell your two brothers to ask them that question next time.:agree:

Saudi ................. Expensive? two rather opposing words.

Exactly. Definitely not expensive at all.o_O

Rich brew of culture overwhelms visitors at Janadriyah festival

1392652900369952300.jpg
DANCES WITH GUN: A participant fires a gun during a folk dance performance at the Janadriyah festival on Sunday. (SPA)

RIYADH: ARAB NEWS TEAM

Published — Tuesday 18 February 2014

Last update 18 February 2014 2:34 am

The Janadriyah festival is offering visitors a variety of Arabic coffee that will please the taste buds and overwhelm the senses. There is a choice of Bahraini, Emirati, Kuwaiti and Omani coffee at the different pavilions near the gate and when you get inside the venue you can indulge yourself in local brews such as the Riyadh, Qassimi, Jazani, Dammami and Jeddawi coffee. The handlers bring the taste from all corners of Saudi Arabia. They offer their services and it is a great opportunity for them to show off their skill at making some of the finest Arabic coffee in this part of the Gulf.
Janadriyah has been organized differently this year and is being visited by a record number of visitors. About 120,000 visitors came to the festival on the first day alone. Besides, several ambassadors to Riyadh from various countries are also enjoying the festivities.
The Emirates pavilion has been attracting large crowds who gather to watch the folk dances and songs performed by a number of famous bands and singers in the country. The Emirates is also the festival’s guest of honor this year.
There were visible signs of Bahraini and Kuwaiti heritage in the form of pottery industries, food, drinks and their hearty welcome to the visitors.
The pavilion of the General Presidency of the Two Holy Mosques Affairs is providing visitors information about the Grand Mosque in Makkah and the Prophet’s Mosque in Madinah. “The pavilion which is set up for the second consecutive year has been drawing a good number of visitors who are keen to know about the Two Holy Mosques,” Ahmed Al-Mansuri, director of public relations in the General Presidency of the Two Holy Mosques Affairs told Arab News.
The pavilion features the embroidery of the Kiswa, the black embroidered cloth that covers the Holy Kaaba, and the stages of expansion of the Grand Mosque and the Prophet’s Mosque ordered by Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Abdullah.
This year’s pavilion also has a library displaying some important and ancient manuscripts including a copy of the Holy Qur’an of the Ottoman era. There is a photo exhibition that depicts the rapid urban development that took place around the Two Holy Mosques.
Visitors to the pavilion are being provided with pamphlets and Zam Zam water.
Several Eastern Province businessmen have set up a stall for the Saudi "food bank" at the festival.
The initiative, called Feed, aims to ensure that food not eaten by citizens and expatriates can be saved for the poor. The organization is styled on food banks in other countries.
Eastern Province Gov. Prince Saud bin Naif, visited the Feed stall and praised the efforts of the businesspeople and young volunteers.
Amer Al-Barjas, the executive director of Feed, told the prince that the project only collects quality food for distribution. He said the project is also raising awareness about its initiatives among children with illustrated booklets.
Arab News reported this week that Saudi Arabia has been ranked by the Rome-based Food and Agricultural Organization as the worst food waster in the Gulf Cooperation Council region. It contributes 17 million tons out of 26 million tons generated every year by over 40 million people in the Gulf.
Feed is a non-profit organization registered with the Ministry of Social Affairs and can be found on www.saudifoodbank.com.

— Khalid Tawalbeh,
Irfan Mohammed & Fouzia Khan contributed to this report.

Rich brew of culture overwhelms visitors at Janadriyah festival | Arab News — Saudi Arabia News, Middle East News, Opinion, Economy and more.

KSA, Greece to promote tourism
1392048030833867900.jpg

BRINGING PEOPLES TOGETHER: Prince Sultan bin Salman and Greek Tourism Minister Olga Kefalogianni sign a strategic accord to promote tourism between the two countries.

RIYADH: ABDUL HANNAN TAGO

Published — Tuesday 11 February 2014

Last update 11 February 2014 4:18 am
Prince Sultan bin Salman, president of the Saudi Commission for Tourism and Antiquities (SCTA), and Greek Tourism Minister Olga Kefalogianni signed here Monday a strategic accord to promote tourism between the two countries.
After signing the joint agreement, Prince Sultan told Arab News: “Greece is a beautiful country. It is a world-class cultural destination and Saudi Arabia will benefit a lot from its experience.
“We discussed many avenues including tourism, cultural exchanges and training programs for Saudis in the tourism sector,” the prince said.
The event was attended by SCTA’s top officials and Greek Ambassador to Riyadh Loannis Christofilis, who was accompanying the Greek high-level delegation.
Speaking about the salient features of the agreement, Kefalogianni told Arab News that Greece being the cradle of Western civilization and Saudi Arabia being the cradle of Arab civilization and a very important country in this region, it was decided to exchange know- how, best practices, and experiences of both countries.
“We believe that Saudi Arabia and Greece have a lot in common, a lot of experiences and know-how to share not only in terms of tourism but also with respect to restoring and showcasing history, culture and civilization,” the minister said.
The visiting minister invited Saudis to visit her country. “We would like to see more Saudis visiting Greece and more Greeks visiting Saudi Arabia and this is one of the reasons why we are here,” she said, adding: “We would like to exchange know-how and experiences in training, education and tourism.”
She said that Greece wants to bring together and implement a project that has to do with cultural exchange and the vast historical references which are very important to the two countries.
Referring to tourism’s role in job creation, Kefalogianni said: “We have seen that tourism is a very important sector and contributes a lot to job creation in Greece. We want to see more people employed in the tourism sector and we believe that in exchanging know-how and experiences this can be done in the best way possible for both our countries.”
According to her, one out of five Greeks is employed in tourism and this is very important for the country. She said: “There is a lot of potential for tourism in all regions in Greece and I believe the same applies to Saudi Arabia and I think it is very important to exchange the best practices.”
The visiting Greek Minister spoke highly of the beautiful atmosphere in Riyadh and the warm and hospitable people.
“First of all I would like to say that I am very happy to be here. It is a magnificent city, a very beautiful country, with very warm and hospitable people,” she said, adding “We felt this the moment we arrived here.”
She said that the weather is very nice and can be compared to Greece which has a moderate climate which is the reason it is a popular destination all the year round.
The agreement aims to boost cooperation in the tourism sector, generate growth in tourist traffic and offer opportunities to the southern European nation to showcase its tourism products and services in the local market.

KSA, Greece to promote tourism | Arab News — Saudi Arabia News, Middle East News, Opinion, Economy and more.

Prince Sultan holds talks with South Africa’s Minister of Tourism

President of the Saudi Commission for Tourism and Antiquities Prince Sultan Bin Salman held talks with South Africa’s Minister of Tourism Marthinus van Schalkwyk in Riyadh on Sunday. The South African minister was in the Kingdom to discuss cooperation between the two countries in the tourism field. The picture shows the two sides signing a memorandum of understanding. — SPA

Prince Sultan holds talks with South Africa’s Minister of Tourism | Kingdom | Saudi Gazette

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom