What's new

Total Covid-19 Cases In U.S. May Be Eight Times Higher Than Reported, Scientists Estimate

beijingwalker

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
Total Covid-19 Cases In U.S. May Be Eight Times Higher Than Reported, Scientists Estimate
Siladitya Ray Forbes Staff
Nov 26, 2020,06:09pm EST

The actual number of Covid-19 infections in the U.S. could be about eight times as much as the total reported cases, a model created by scientists at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has estimated

The model published in the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases suggests that nearly 53 million people in the U.S. had been infected with Covid-19 by the end of September.

The estimate is around eight times higher than the 7.1 million confirmed cases that had been reported back then.

The model tries to account for the fact that most cases of Covid-19 are mild and therefore go unreported.

The scientists, however, warned that by the end of September, 84% of the U.S. population had not been infected and was still at risk of catching the disease.

If the trend of unreported cases still holds true as of Thursday, the U.S. — which has 12.5 million confirmed cases — could be approaching 100 million total infections across the country.

KEY BACKGROUND
In October, the World Health Organisation had said that nearly 10% of the world population or nearly 760 million people may have already been infected with Covid-19, despite the fact that only 35 million confirmed cases had been recorded as of that time. “When you count anything, you can’t count it perfectly,” Mike Ryan, the executive director of the WHO’s health emergencies program, had said back then adding, “But I can assure you that the current numbers are likely an underestimate of the true toll of Covid.” Scientists have also suggested that deaths due to the pandemic have also been severely undercounted, with the CDC stating that the U.S. had recorded nearly 300,000 excess deaths during the pandemic as of October 3. This number was nearly 100,000 deaths more than what had been officially recorded by the states.

I'm sure it is higher than stated since it looks like some demographics could be under reported. The hardest hit areas near where I live are mostly Hispanic/Black since they live in mostly crowded cities more susceptible to infections.

More than half of in-hospital deaths from COVID-19 among Black, Hispanic patients, study finds
Researchers found that Black and Hispanic people made up 58% of all patients hospitalized for COVID-19 and 53% of those who died from the disease.

Last edited:
I'm sure it is higher than stated since it looks like some demographics could be under reported. The hardest hit areas near where I live are mostly Hispanic/Black since they live in mostly crowded cities more susceptible to infections.

More than half of in-hospital deaths from COVID-19 among Black, Hispanic patients, study finds
Researchers found that Black and Hispanic people made up 58% of all patients hospitalized for COVID-19 and 53% of those who died from the disease.
Why Blacks and Hispanics are the worst hit?

Why Blacks and Hispanics are the worst hit?

They can make up 90% of some cities.

Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 12.06.57 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 12.51.27 PM.jpg

Low income housing in cities where you are crowded with your neighbors makes you more susceptible.

Last edited:
The hardest hit areas near where I live are mostly Hispanic/Black since they live in mostly crowded cities more susceptible to infections.

Yeah, plenty of Blacks and Hispanics in the Midwestern United States. I heard it's real crowded over there too.:pop:

riFKs8Y.png

How about Africa? Plenty of Blacks in crowded, terrible third world conditions.:pop:

pemqRDk.png

Low income housing in cities where you are crowded with your neighbors makes you more susceptible.
The Dakotas lead the world in COVID-19 deaths per capita:pop:

Last edited:
Yeah, plenty of Blacks and Hispanics in the Midwestern United States. I heard it's real crowded over there too.:pop:

Hey I'm just posting what Stanford says...maybe you should contact them and tell them they are all idiots

Stanford University School of Medicine
291 Campus Drive
Li Ka Shing Building
Stanford, CA 94305-5101
Phone: (650) 723-4000

Get back to us with your results. :pop:

.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2020/11/deaths-from-covid-19-of-inpatients-by-race-and-ethnicity.html

Last edited:
Hey I'm just posting what Stanford says...maybe you should contact them and tell them they are all idiots

Stanford University School of Medicine
291 Campus Drive
Li Ka Shing Building
Stanford, CA 94305-5101
Phone: (650) 723-4000

Get back to us with your results. :pop:

.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2020/11/deaths-from-covid-19-of-inpatients-by-race-and-ethnicity.html

:pop:

I still don't see your point.The article says 58% of total hospitalizations are black or Hispanic. It doesn't say 100%. So yes 42% fall into other categories and North Dakota has some of them. Yes, since North Dakota has few Hispanics/Blacks then those infected would be mostly white whether it is rural/city. Plus they didn't even have ANY basic mandates like masks or social distancing up until like two weeks ago...so it isn't surprising.

What is the issue? :pop:

All I said was in Massachusetts some of the big hotspots are in cities which have a high percentage of Hispanic/Black people. Since these areas are mostly under the state average for income it is likely being under-reported too.

Coronavirus Disproportionately Impacting Black, Hispanic Residents in Mass., Data Shows

"Black and Hispanic residents of Massachusetts are more than three times more likely to become infected with the coronavirus than white residents, new data shows.

The data, compiled by the state health department's COVID-19 Health Equity Advisory Group, highlights how Black and Hispanic communities across Massachusetts are being disproportionately impacted by the pandemic.

According to the data, Black non-Hispanic residents and Hispanic residents have a three-times higher positive COVID-19 case rate than white, non-Hispanic residents. Black and Hispanic residents also have higher rates of hospitalizations and are higher burden of COVID-19 deaths compared to white or Asian residents.

The data comes as the nation sees a surge in coronavirus cases at a time when grassroots protests are demanding that officials take measures to address inequities in many sectors, including health care.

According to the data, Hispanic people represent about 12% of the state's population but account for more than 29% of cases. Black residents represent around seven percent of the population but double that proportion of cases at 14.4% cases.

Nine of the 10 cities and towns with the highest rates of COVID infection are also communities where more than half the residents identify as people of color."

In Dense Cities Like Boston, Coronavirus Epidemics Last Longer, Northeastern Study Finds
An analysis by Northeastern University researchers and colleagues finds that in crowded cities — like Boston — coronavirus epidemics not only grow bigger, they also tend to last longer.

The paper, based on data from Italy and China, looks at how quickly an epidemic peaks depending on how crowded a location is.

"In urban areas, we tend to see long, broad epidemics — for example, Boston," says lead co-author Samuel Scarpino from the Network Science Institute at Northeastern. "And in comparatively more suburban or rural areas we tend to see sharp, quick, burst-y epidemics."

Last edited:
Also how come nobody wants to talk about Africa?

More than half of Africa’s urban population is concentrated in slums, where access to water for hand washing is scarce, quality healthcare is nonexistent, and physical distancing is near-impossible. Africa currently has just over 50,000 deaths confirmed on a continent of 1.3 billion people. Explain that. Can anyone provide hard evidence that all 54 countries of Africa are coordinating their actions to cover up their deaths to the outside world? And why would they need to do that? Shouldn't they be inflating their numbers instead to ask for more funding? :pop:

Also how come nobody wants to talk about Africa?

More than half of Africa’s urban population is concentrated in slums, where access to water for hand washing is scarce, quality healthcare is nonexistent, and physical distancing is near-impossible. Africa currently has just over 50,000 deaths confirmed on a continent of 1.3 billion people. Explain that. Can anyone provide hard evidence that all 54 countries of Africa are coordinating their actions to cover up their deaths to the outside world? And why would they need to do that? Shouldn't they be inflating their numbers instead to ask for more funding? :pop:

According to Chinese researchers
COVID-19 transmission in Mainland China is associated with temperature and humidity: A time-series analysis

Back
Top Bottom