What's new

Topgun : Maverick - Review

Zagros and Alborz have snow capped maintain ranges.
True, but they launched off a Aircraft Carrier - obviously from the Persian Gulf.

The Snow Covered Mountains were visible from the coast. Now unless the USS Theodore Roosevelt some how teleported itself in the Caspian Sea (lake) - its all fictional which explains why they used the term: Rouge Nation

At last had to watch it spending 15 bucks. It's worth it...

As if the following mindsets and attitude of the US top guns in the movie reflect those from the PAF in the real life:
  • Don't think, just do it
  • It's not the fighter plane, but the pilot in the box
  • 4th gen jets can overwhelm the 5th gen enemy jets if you have the guts, skills, tactics and faith
  • Top guns become aces (5+ kills) as they have enough #of enemies to slay
  • Care free dare devils who don't mind the balance at the bank at the time of their deaths
  • Etc.

*Eating beef and cowdung aren't the same.

Last edited:
(The) Worst Quote from the Movie:
"Everyone here's the Best there is. Who the hell are they gonna get to teach us?"
-Phoenix

Jee, I don't know lady. Practically anyone who's been in the NAVY for over a decade.

do you guys think there ever will be topgun 3? as far as i can see it's a wrap of maverick and his career, maybe hangman and rooster can be the next stars?

A bubble gum movie "no sir or pair"

Million SAMs fired and , guess you can just use "Super flairs"

F14 Still stole the show over all planes

LOL. China is too big of a market. It might hurt movie ticket sales ;)

It's like when someone noticed how Miss Iceland or Miss Liechtenstein never becomes Miss Universe.
hehe , China is represented in the movie...

'Top Gun: Maverick' risks China's anger after for keeping Taiwan's flag on the iconic bomber jacket worn by Tom Cruise's character​

Waiyee Yip
Jun 2, 2022, 12:38 AM
Top Gun Maverick
The Japan and Taiwan flags on the jacket were replaced in the 2019 trailer for "Top Gun: Maverick" (right). Twitter/Taiwan News
  • Taiwanese audiences cheered during a screening of "Top Gun: Maverick" upon seeing the Taiwan flag.
  • The Taiwan and Japan flags were replaced in a 2019 trailer for the film, seemingly to appease China.
  • However, the flags on Maverick's jacket appear to have been restored in the cut screened in Taiwan"
Bet already pissed the Chinese off considerably.

And the movie is just a 6 out of 10.

People need to lay off movie being unrealistic........Well, it's a movie, not a war, and you are not piloting a plane going after Maverick, it's a place where you spend the next 90-120 minutes sitting up straight looking at a big screen forgetting all the shit outside that door. If you don't like to do that, you are free to do anything else.

If I were to care too much about "realistic" and "Authenticity" then I will probably not going to see any war movie because I can probably pick all of them clean, like this Military Lawyer said, if Maverick really did what he did in the first movie, he would have gotten the death penalty or been spending 5 years in brig, I don't think anyone want to see that movie.....

All in all, the movie is good, the action sequence (which is why we went and see to begin with, isn't it) is probably subpar to none. Top Gun as a story is always going to be "Cringe" to say at least, the final dog fight scene, and the scene where Maverick go see Iceman one last time is probably the best in the movie.

America and the west only fight nations that cannot fight back. Try it with China...even in the movies they dare not
So America was fighting Chad and Nigeria in WW1 and WW2?

How deluded can one get is something that never ceases to amaze me. The US is a nation of warriors which rose from the ashes after intense subjugation by the British to become the most formidable and unbeatable Military & Financial might in the world.

To doubt that the US can humble any country in the world......including China, would be a big mistake. Countries like China are competing with technology that the US demonstrated in the first Gulf War (Stealth, EW, SIGINT, ECM etc.); the technology that they would have today would be absolutely shocking. They did not reveal the A-Bomb until after dropping it, they did not reveal stealth until after the Gulf war and so on. It is not like the Americans, who were already 30-40 years ahead of everyone else in Military Technology would have been sitting idle, waiting for foes to catch up!

Loved it, one those movies that should be watched in cinema with big screen not at home

do you guys think there ever will be topgun 3? as far as i can see it's a wrap of maverick and his career, maybe hangman and rooster can be the next stars?

unlikely.... all the supporting actors kind of sucked...over the top and it didnt seem natural...

topgun 1 all had great supporting actors from Tom Skirrit to Michael Ironside, Val killmer etc all memorable acting and lines... all very believable acting and still hold up well

Yes the original did had an amazing cast, in this one Rooster and Pheonix were the one's who slightly were umm okay rest the move was/is carried by Tom Cruise, by the way i wonder how many of my gamer friends here know that Micheal Ironside (Jester in original Topgun) was the voice behind Sam Fisher (Splinter Cell series) :)

Back
Top Bottom