What's new

Top Secret Indian Government documents sneaked into by Chinese hackers

Chill Bihari

Reaction score
Chinese agents hack into India's secret documents: Report - India - The Times of India
NEW YORK: Major Indian missile and armament systems may have been compromised as Chinese hackers have reportedly broken into top secret files of the Indian Defence Ministry and embassies around the world.

Among the systems leaked out could be Shakti, the just introduced advanced artillery combat and control system of the Indian Army and the country's new mobile missile defence system called the Iron Dome.

A new report called 'Shadow in the Clouds' by Canadian and American researchers based at the University of Toronto has said that a spy operation called 'Shadow Network' based out of China has tapped into top secret files of the Indian government.

In the investigations conducted over eight months, the report claimed that systematic cyber espionage was carried out from servers located in China that "compromised" government, business, academic and other computer network systems in India.

The report finds that Indian government related entities, both in India and throughout the world, had been thoroughly compromised.

These included computers at Indian embassies in Belgium, Serbia, Germany, Italy, Kuwait, the United States, Zimbabwe, and the High Commissions of India in Cyprus and the United Kingdom.

"These include documents from the Offices of the Dalai Lama and agencies of the Indian national security establishment," the report said.

"Data containing sensitive information on citizens of numerous third-party countries, as well as personal, financial, and business information, were also exfiltrated and recovered during the course of the investigation," it said.

"Recovery and analysis of exfiltrated data, including one document that appears to be encrypted diplomatic correspondence, two documents marked "SECRET", six as "RESTRICTED", and five as "CONFIDENTIAL". These documents are identified as belonging to the Indian government," it added.

These documents contain sensitive information taken from a member of the National Security Council Secretariat concerning secret assessments of India's security situation in the states of Assam, Manipur, Nagaland and Tripura, as well as concerning the Naxalites and Maoists.

In addition, they contain confidential information taken from Indian embassies regarding India's international relations with and assessments of activities in West Africa, Russia/Commonwealth of Independent States and the Middle East, as well as visa applications, passport office circulars and diplomatic correspondence.

However, the researchers note that there is no direct evidence that these were stolen from Indian government computers and they may have been compromised as a result of being copied onto personal computers.

Recovered documents also included presentations relating to the following projects:Pechora Missile System - an anti-aircraft surface-to-air missile system, Iron Dome Missile System - a mobile missile defence system (Ratzlav-Katz 2010) and Project Shakti - an artillery combat command and control system (Frontier India 2009).

The report also finds that the spies also hacked into information on visa applications submitted to Indian diplomatic missions in Afghanistan.

This data was voluntarily provided to the Indian missions by nationals of 13 countries as part of the regular visa application process.

"In a context like Afghanistan, this finding points to the complex nature of the information security challenge where risks to individuals (or operational security) can occur as a result of a data compromise on secure systems operated by trusted partners," the report said.

The investigation also said that 1,500 letters sent from the Dalai Lama's office between January and November 2009, were also leaked out.

The researchers noted that while there was no clear insight into the motives of the spies, "the theme appears to involve topics that would likely be of interest to the Indian and Tibetan communities".

Chinese agents hack into India's secret documents: Report - India - The Times of India
NEW YORK: Major Indian missile and armament systems may have been compromised as Chinese hackers have reportedly broken into top secret files of the Indian Defence Ministry and embassies around the world.

Among the systems leaked out could be Shakti, the just introduced advanced artillery combat and control system of the Indian Army and the country's new mobile missile defence system called the Iron Dome.

A new report called 'Shadow in the Clouds' by Canadian and American researchers based at the University of Toronto has said that a spy operation called 'Shadow Network' based out of China has tapped into top secret files of the Indian government.

In the investigations conducted over eight months, the report claimed that systematic cyber espionage was carried out from servers located in China that "compromised" government, business, academic and other computer network systems in India.

The report finds that Indian government related entities, both in India and throughout the world, had been thoroughly compromised.

These included computers at Indian embassies in Belgium, Serbia, Germany, Italy, Kuwait, the United States, Zimbabwe, and the High Commissions of India in Cyprus and the United Kingdom.

"These include documents from the Offices of the Dalai Lama and agencies of the Indian national security establishment," the report said.

"Data containing sensitive information on citizens of numerous third-party countries, as well as personal, financial, and business information, were also exfiltrated and recovered during the course of the investigation," it said.

"Recovery and analysis of exfiltrated data, including one document that appears to be encrypted diplomatic correspondence, two documents marked "SECRET", six as "RESTRICTED", and five as "CONFIDENTIAL". These documents are identified as belonging to the Indian government," it added.

These documents contain sensitive information taken from a member of the National Security Council Secretariat concerning secret assessments of India's security situation in the states of Assam, Manipur, Nagaland and Tripura, as well as concerning the Naxalites and Maoists.

In addition, they contain confidential information taken from Indian embassies regarding India's international relations with and assessments of activities in West Africa, Russia/Commonwealth of Independent States and the Middle East, as well as visa applications, passport office circulars and diplomatic correspondence.

However, the researchers note that there is no direct evidence that these were stolen from Indian government computers and they may have been compromised as a result of being copied onto personal computers.

Recovered documents also included presentations relating to the following projects:Pechora Missile System - an anti-aircraft surface-to-air missile system, Iron Dome Missile System - a mobile missile defence system (Ratzlav-Katz 2010) and Project Shakti - an artillery combat command and control system (Frontier India 2009).

The report also finds that the spies also hacked into information on visa applications submitted to Indian diplomatic missions in Afghanistan.

This data was voluntarily provided to the Indian missions by nationals of 13 countries as part of the regular visa application process.

"In a context like Afghanistan, this finding points to the complex nature of the information security challenge where risks to individuals (or operational security) can occur as a result of a data compromise on secure systems operated by trusted partners," the report said.

The investigation also said that 1,500 letters sent from the Dalai Lama's office between January and November 2009, were also leaked out.

The researchers noted that while there was no clear insight into the motives of the spies, "the theme appears to involve topics that would likely be of interest to the Indian and Tibetan communities".

LETS HAVE SOME COMMON SENSE THE ABOVE MENTIONED DATA WILL NOT BE STORED ON A PUBLIC SERVER. WHY DO EMBASSIES AROUND THE WORLD HAVE DEFENCE SYSTEMS DATA IN THEIR SERVERS. THE UNIVERSAL TRUTH ISZ THIS TYPE OF DATA WILL ONLY BE IN THE SERVERS OF DRDO AND MINISTRY OF DEFENCE WHICH MAINTAINS AN INDEPENDENT SERVER. IT HAS ITS OWN INTERNAL NETWORK SYSTEM AND THIS SERVER ISZ NEVER EVER CONNECTED TO WORLD WIDE WEB.IT ISZ LIMITED TO MINISTRY OF DEFENCE AND LABS OF DRDO THE WHOLE SERVER AND DATABASE ISZ BASED ON INDEPENDENT NETWORKING SYSTEM MY BROTHER WORKS IN DRDO AND HE LAUGHED AFTER SEEING THIS NEWS . AND FINALLY ITS NOT A PUBLIC SERVER FOR GOD SAKE

FINALLY THIS NEWS ISZ REDICULUS

:hitwall::hitwall::hitwall::hitwall:

Last edited:
Sounds like a load of crap.

Any officials from GoI saying anything?

AND SINCE WHEN DID INDIA HAVE THE IRON DOME SYSTEM?

Sounds like a load of crap.

Any officials from GoI saying anything?

AND SINCE WHEN DID INDIA HAVE THE IRON DOME SYSTEM?

FINALLY TO THE REDICULUS REPORTERS OF TIMES OF INDIA WE DONT HAVE A PROJECT CALLED IRON DOME

LETS HAVE SOME COMMON SENSE THE ABOVE MENTIONED DATA WILL NOT BE STORED ON A PUBLIC SERVER. WHY DO EMBASSIES AROUND THE WORLD HAVE DEFENCE SYSTEMS DATA IN THEIR SERVERS. THE UNIVERSAL TRUTH ISZ THIS TYPE OF DATA WILL ONLY BE IN THE SERVERS OF DRDO AND MINISTRY OF DEFENCE WHICH MAINTAINS AN INDEPENDENT SERVER. IT HAS ITS OWN INTERNAL NETWORK SYSTEM AND THIS SERVER ISZ NEVER EVER CONNECTED TO WORLD WIDE WEB.IT ISZ LIMITED TO MINISTRY OF DEFENCE AND LABS OF DRDO THE WHOLE SERVER AND DATABASE ISZ BASED ON INDEPENDENT NETWORKING SYSTEM MY BROTHER WORKS IN DRDO AND HE LAUGHED AFTER SEEING THIS NEWS . AND FINALLY ITS NOT A PUBLIC SERVER FOR GOD SAKE

FINALLY THIS NEWS ISZ REDICULUS

TRUST ME TIMES OF INDIA HAS BECOME SO RUBISH THAT THEY DONT DO ANY BACKGROUND RESEARCH BEFORE THEY PUBLISH

well said mate these data's are stored in own servers, unlike going public, even my company details are stored in a separate servers. its only for internal use. don't post such a crap news

Those who think that private servers can't be hacked, you are free to live in wonderland :Hitwall:

Let me gather some information to prove my statement...

What they're saying is, critical information is always on servers which aren't connected to the Internet.

Those who think that private servers can't be hacked, you are free to live in wonderland :Hitwall:

Let me gather some information to prove my statement...

DUDE I NEVER SAID PRIVATE SERVERS CANNOT BE HACKED BUT WHAT I MEAN IS THEY CANNOT HACK A DRDO SERVER FROM EMBASSY IN THE ABOVE MENTIONED COUNTRIES BECAUSE NO RESEARCH BASED SERVER IS CONNECTED TO WORLD WIDE WEB (SIMPLY KNOW AS INTERNET)

THE ONLY WAY TO HACK IS THEY SHOULD DO IT FROM INSIDE DRDO OR FROM THE OFFICE OF MINISTRY OF DEFENCE WHIN INTRUN HAS DIFFERENT NETWORKING SYSTEMS

:hitwall::hitwall::hitwall:

FINALLY IF THEY WANT THE LOVE LETTERS BETWEEN DIALAMA OR ANY THING RELATED TO TIBET AS FAR AS EXTERNAL FOREGIN AFFAIRS IS CONCERNED THEY CAN HAVE IT AS MUCH AS THE WANT

First of all for few reasons I will rubbish this article.

1) Every Indian officials were given two to three computer for works. One connected to the network without important documents and another not connected to the network with important documents.

2) Indian govt specially Defence ministry has its own network through out the country which is independent of internet and maintained by NIC and secured by the National Technical Research Organisation (NTRO) and National Institute of Cryptology Research and Development (NICRD). NICRD is a subset of NTRO. C-DAC and other repectable Indian IT companies are also part of this game.

3) India usually doesn't attack other countries over cyber like China which usually do but that does not mean India is lagging in this field. India has the best IT technologies in Asia. Though late GoI have taken keen interest in IT and used it well for country's security.

But here few things are dangerous....

1) It mentioned some particular systems, like Shakti ACCS, Iron Dome, Afghanistan! If it is BS than how they are mentioning particular systems?

2)Details about HH Dalai Lama's office.

Now a days US and Europe continuously complaining about hackers from China attacking their networks to access confidential data and with best technologies in the world they are prepared to face those attacks. India may not be as advanced like them but very powerful while China mastered hacking technologies. I will say India take the attacking path as well, specially the espionage way. We should set up dedicated labs and espionage through out the world to attack on Chinese networks. I think govt already done this. It is unbelievable that Chinese hackers accessed so much documents from govt.

Last edited:
Its a big debate and really depends on how the network is setup with these server farms - if its truly private by that i mean a pure LAN than only and insider can do that. However if its part of big network but is being kept private using ACL's/VLANs and firewalls than if someone can gain access to main network should not have any problem getting into this restricted area. :agree:

On another note may be this news is just load of BS and erhaps these hacked systems were mere honeypots to feed false info?? who knows!!

:bounce:

First of all for few reasons I will rubbish this article.

But here few things are dangerous....

1) It mentioned some particular systems, like Shakti ACCS, Iron Dome, Afghanistan! If it is BS than how they are mentioning particular systems?

2)Details about HH Dalai Lama's office.

Now a days US and Europe continuously complaining about hackers from China attacking their networks to access confidential data and with best technologies in the world they are prepared to face those attacks. India may not be as advanced like them but very powerful while China mastered hacking technologies. I will say India take the attacking path as well, specially the espionage way. We should set up dedicated labs and espionage through out the world to attack on Chinese networks. I think govt already done this. It is unbelievable that Chinese hackers accessed so much documents from govt.

THE ABOVE MENTION PROJECTS ARE AVAILABLE IN MOST OF THE ARTICLES LIKE U MENTIONED

Army to induct first network-centric artillery system

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/army-to-induct-first-networkcentric-artille/473759/

Agencies Tags : Artillery Combat Command and Control System, Deepak Kapoor, Indian army Posted: Tuesday , Jun 09, 2009 at 1622 hrs New Delhi:
Deepak Kapoor
Indian army set to induct network centric artillery system.
Valentine Gift's

* Discussion
* Blogs

Action against shoai... - By santosh.sAyesha is a liar - By Janet XavierNaxals on killing ra... - By Rajesh VyasSend the army - By JKMStatement - By RaviIndo-china asian uni... - By Dr.Sankabattula Venkata RaoWhy west is meddling... - By Hasan Abidi
Unholy NexusNext Don Quixote!Advani for Ram TempleMF Deserves It

Taking the first step towards acquiring network-centric warfare capabilities, the Army is all set to induct a computerised command and control system to integrate its artillery weapon operations.

Known as Project Sakthi, the Artillery Combat Command and Control System (ACCCS) is a major division of the Tactical Command Control Communication and Intelligence (Tac C3I) system, senior Army officers said.

"ACCCS is the artillery component of the TAC C3I grid, which is the first step of the Army to acquire the capability of network-centric warfare at the tactical level," they said. The system is scheduled to be inducted on Friday. "Sakthi is the first C3I system being fielded in the Indian Army. The role of ACCCS is to automate and integrate all artillery operational functions and provide decision support at all levels of artillery command from the corps level down to the battery or guns level in a networked environment," the officers said.

IF I SAY THAT CHIANESE TALKED ABOUT KANCHAN ARMOUR IT DOSENT MEAN THEY KNOW EVERY MOLECULAR DETAIL ABOUT IT

Back
Top Bottom