What's new

Top of the Pops -- albums / songs - predominantly 80s

This song is very controversial in Australia.

It turns out the song, or a part of the song was stolen from a popular Folks melody in Australia "Kookaburra" and the court decided in the latter favour and basically Man at work and Sony BMG have to pay 5% royalty to the owner of Kookaburra.

I don't know, It sounded similar, but was it "Copied" I have my doubt, but well, that was decided by a court. So I don't know.

Probably the strangest thing at all is how this lawsuit come to them in 2007 (or 2008) which is some 20 years after the song is being performed.

It come to this because One day, a Children Game show broadcasted by ABC have a question asking the kiddies participant "Which song contain as part of Men at Work song "Down Under". The kid answer "Kookaburra" and that is when the right owner of the song "Kookaburra" and decided to investigate further.

Last edited:

Interesting history. These two wrote two hits for Whitney Houston ("How will I know" and "I wanna dance with somebody who loves me") but she passed up on this one...so incredibly disappointed they were with it being ignored they sang it themselves...and it was a major hit. 👍

You can hear the Whitney Houston type song with the saxaphone/keyboard and can even picture her singing it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom